Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangerous game. I think Kanye is just trying to divide the black vote because in that demographic Biden is even further ahead than he is nationally.

Who says Elon wants Biden to win? At any rate, Elon probably doesn't care all that much about who is President. He'll work with whoever is in the White House. That's what good CEOs do. Stick to running their businesses. The really dangerous game is endorsing either of the two major party nominees. By tongue in cheek backing Kayne, he's successfully ducked the issue.

I really doubt Kayne will affect the contest one way or another. He doesn't even have a website up yet.

Dangerous game. I think Kanye is just trying to divide the black vote because in that demographic Biden is even further ahead than he is nationally.
Possibly. Or Kanye's just looking for attention. He's obviously been successful here. Looking at comments on twitter there's a surprising number of people who still think that both parties are equally bad.

Either way, it appears to be a publicity stunt as it appears that it's too late to get on the ballot, anyway.

Who says Elon wants Biden to win? At any rate, Elon probably doesn't care all that much about who is President. He'll work with whoever is in the White House. That's what good CEOs do. Stick to running their businesses. The really dangerous game is endorsing either of the two major party nominees. By tongue in cheek backing Kayne, he's successfully ducked the issue.
There's a lot of people taking it seriously, unfortunately.

That said, it's pretty clear that one party is better aligned with Tesla's mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. One actively facilitates this, the other actively slows it down.

Elon’s an idiot? Hookay. Why so serious, Kuro? Elon’s just having fun.

Elon is brilliant in some areas, but not great in others.

I really doubt Kayne will affect the contest one way or another. He doesn't even have a website up yet.

I think any smart CEO wants a calm and steady country to operate in. If Trump wins re-election this country could become much more chaotic than it is now.

Kanye is likely doing it to sell music.

Several political pundits have pointed out he hasn't taken the first step to actually run for president. He has not filed with the FEC and he has not done anything to get on the ballot in any state. The deadline to get on the ballot in quite a few states has passed and the deadline for nearly a third comes up in only 2 weeks or so. Another 1/3 come up in early August. He would have to get a political organization that usually takes months to get into gear underway in the next 2-3 days to have any chance to get on the ballot in a reasonable number of states.

The major parties have their apparatus in place and essentially running on idle all the time. The utilize the same apparatus for down ticket races too. After some prominent third party runs 20-30 years ago, many states made it much more difficult to get on the ballot requiring a large machine with a lot of organization to run as an independent. That's why Bernie Sanders tried to win the Democratic nomination. He recognized that running as an independent was a dead end candidacy. The Libertarian party, which is probably the third largest party in the US is only on the ballot in 36 states for 2020, though they are working on the last 14 and will probably meet the requirements in time.

As the saying goes, "he's all hat and no cattle."

LONG time lurker, first time poster. The posts on this forum were very helpful a couple of years ago when I got my Model 3. I've been reading this thread a bit today, and here's what I don't understand.

Is it possible to acknowledge that Tesla is a great company doing great things for the world, and still acknowledge that Elon Musk is a sociopath? Every time he says something stupid on Twitter, half of you basically go, "Oh he's just joking, it's sarcasm." I hate excuses like that. Anyone can say anything and then say they were joking or it was sarcasm. Elon is so vague about any of his political positions (oh wait, he's just so smart that us mortals cannot understand his thought processes) that maybe we shouldn't just assume that he's being sarcastic whenever he's on Twitter.
  • He gave his kid a weird name? "Oh, he's a genius that we mere mortals cannot understand." For a guy who we applaud for working 100 hours a week, when does he find time to be a father to his 6 kids? Or is that not important, because the "mission" is more important.
  • I saw on Electrek, "Elon's a Memelord." He's almost 50 years old, not some 14 year old kid in a basement. We're applauding the guy for being immature.
  • Hey, remember when Elon said he didn't care about material possessions and he was selling off his houses? How's that going? If Elon didn't care about money he'd donate ALL of his Tesla shares to whoever...the employees, some charity, I don't care. Because he's not doing it for the money, right?
    • "Oh, but Elon's hoarding all that money so he can go to Mars." Because he cares about saving the planet so much he can't wait to leave it?
  • Elon makes a "joking" tweet about supporting coups in countries, and all of the comments on Electrek are jumping over each other to defend that. Like, that's really not something to joke about. Sometimes I think that Elon Musk could shoot someone in broad daylight and half of his fans would congratulate him for being a maverick.
And this is just the last month or two. Elon and Kanye aren't that different. They've both produced incredible things in their lives, but they have such colossal egos and everybody around them (their cult of fans) is either enabling it or supporting it, and it's not healthy. There's a lot of debate whether or not what Kanye does is theater, or if he's off his meds and needs real help. Sometimes I wonder the same thing about Elon. He's had a very good few months, and it's gotten to his head.

Maybe he's just a colossal asshole, and would it hurt people to just acknowledge that the guy who's going to help move the world forward on renewable energy is an asshole? I'm even starting to question Elon's motives. I used to think that he actually cared about saving the planet, but now I think he's more obsessed with getting CREDIT than actually helping. But hey, the ends justify the means right?

Sorry for being so long-winded, but this bothers me so much. It's like being a fan of the art but not the artist. Wish he'd just get off of Twitter, oh well. Am I the only person who's conflicted like this?

I'm not even sure what Elon even does for Tesla these days. It seems people like Jerome and Andrew are really the guys who make it happen. Makes me wish Elon would just go away and let those two run the company.

Worth a listen to. Part 1 dropped today, parts 2 and 3 next week. interview of Elon by a long time journalist who has been interviewing Elon since the beginning. Among other things, Elon sees Tesla’s long term competitive advantage being manufacturing. Not Autopilot, not EV, not Superchargers. Not even battery cell tech. This makes sense if you think about it. Eventually everyone will have those current competitive advantages. So, Elon, as usual, is working on competitive advantage 2.0...

Elon Musk: Tesla is seeing 'strong' demand through pandemic - Electrek

Reactions: scaesare
Elon is so vague about any of his political positions (oh wait, he's just so smart that us mortals cannot understand his thought processes) that maybe we shouldn't just assume that he's being sarcastic whenever he's on Twitter.

First, who cares what Elon's political position is? I do not like or dislike people based on their political beliefs.

Second, smart CEOs of large companies generally have a bland political outlook since they know that they must work with all politicians. Democrats in California, Republicans in Texas just to give a quick example. Elon also does not piss off international leaders since he is running a couple of multinational corporations and is nice to all leaders.

• He gave his kid a weird name? "Oh, he's a genius that we mere mortals cannot understand." For a guy who we applaud for working 100 hours a week, when does he find time to be a father to his 6 kids? Or is that not important, because the "mission" is more important.

Again, I don't care. In general, I don't peer too closely at people's personal lives. Partly because I live in a glass house in that regard and know that I am not perfect. I have done some monumentally stupid things in my life that I regret. So if I see someone else doing things off like this, I can forgive them for being human.

• I saw on Electrek, "Elon's a Memelord." He's almost 50 years old, not some 14 year old kid in a basement. We're applauding the guy for being immature.

Who's this "we"? I don't applaud him for this, and probably not too many people do, but some people find it great. Who cares. Elon is not going to do everything that I like.

• Hey, remember when Elon said he didn't care about material possessions and he was selling off his houses? How's that going? If Elon didn't care about money he'd donate ALL of his Tesla shares to whoever...the employees, some charity, I don't care. Because he's not doing it for the money, right?
    • "Oh, but Elon's hoarding all that money so he can go to Mars." Because he cares about saving the planet so much he can't wait to leave it?

No, he cares deeply about the human race and in particular, intelligence. You seem to have missed the part where the whole point of creating a self sustaining civilization on Mars is as an insurance policy in case some extinction level event occurs on earth (asteroid, volcanoes, etc.).

• Elon makes a "joking" tweet about supporting coups in countries, and all of the comments on Electrek are jumping over each other to defend that. Like, that's really not something to joke about. Sometimes I think that Elon Musk could shoot someone in broad daylight and half of his fans would congratulate him for being a maverick.

What are you talking about? Coup? I missed that.

Maybe he's just a colossal asshole, and would it hurt people to just acknowledge that the guy who's going to help move the world forward on renewable energy is an asshole? I'm even starting to question Elon's motives. I used to think that he actually cared about saving the planet, but now I think he's more obsessed with getting CREDIT than actually helping. But hey, the ends justify the means right?

Well, he isn't. So that's why people don't "acknowledge it".

Sorry for being so long-winded, but this bothers me so much. It's like being a fan of the art but not the artist. Wish he'd just get off of Twitter, oh well. Am I the only person who's conflicted like this?

This upset by it? You might be...

I'm not even sure what Elon even does for Tesla these days. It seems people like Jerome and Andrew are really the guys who make it happen. Makes me wish Elon would just go away and let those two run the company.

Elon's strategic vision and leadership is unmatched. Business cases are made around what this guy has done.[/QUOTE]

Worth a listen to. Part 1 dropped today, parts 2 and 3 next week. interview of Elon by a long time journalist who has been interviewing Elon since the beginning. Among other things, Elon sees Tesla’s long term competitive advantage being manufacturing. Not Autopilot, not EV, not Superchargers. Not even battery cell tech. This makes sense if you think about it. Eventually everyone will have those current competitive advantages. So, Elon, as usual, is working on competitive advantage 2.0...

Elon Musk: Tesla is seeing 'strong' demand through pandemic - Electrek

Part 2 of the podcast: DAILY DRIVE PODCAST: August 3, 2020 | One-on-one with Elon Musk (Part 2): A third U.S. plant 'very likely'

Elon to Bernie on Twitter: “Bernard Sanders is a docile puppet of big oil!“
It’s quite sad the puerile crap he constantly sprays, with the subsequent fawning from his obsequious band of Third Row et al acolytes

I'm not defending Elon's twitter nonsense, and I support Bernie in most things, but the whole situation is stupid...from both sides.

Bernie has been quoting an article from the LA Times that is complete bunk, and taxing billionaires based on money they don't actually have is nonsensical.

The entire situation is stupid.

I'm not defending Elon's twitter nonsense, and I support Bernie in most things, but the whole situation is stupid...from both sides.

Bernie has been quoting an article from the LA Times that is complete bunk, and taxing billionaires based on money they don't actually have is nonsensical.

The entire situation is stupid.

In what way does Elon not have the money Bernie wants to tax him? Elon does indeed have access to $27B or whatever the tax amount would be. All he would have to do is sell his Tesla and/or SpaceX shares. Of course, Tesla shares would tank. But that is also indeed what Bernie wants.

Reactions: WarpedOne
In what way does Elon not have the money Bernie wants to tax him? Elon does indeed have access to $27B or whatever the tax amount would be. All he would have to do is sell his Tesla and/or SpaceX shares. Of course, Tesla shares would tank. But that is also indeed what Bernie wants.

Right, people aren't taxed on unrealized gains, so it's silly to consider someone's "potential" worth when accounting for taxes.

I'm not exactly sure that's what Bernie wants, but I'm also not sure exactly where he's trying to go with any of this.

Just more Twitter, in my opinion. Instead of a reasonable discussion, it became more about fitting the most argumentative statements into the character limit.

That said, I don't think Elon's doing Tesla any favors with this kind of response. He's done a reasonably good job over the last decade leaving political ideology out of most of his communications. Bernie Sanders is a man who has a strong following of young supporters who are also most likely proponents of clean energy and EVs. Posting the original "Bernie drinking game" meme was probably ill advised, even if he thought it was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.