Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the girl is actually pretty smart, but she's playing the role of an idiot based on the theory that lowbrow videos get high viewership on the web. She may be right. At any rate, the view is nice. Elon seems tired and paradoxically relaxed and uncomfortable at the same time. Awkward is a good way to describe it.

elon-musk-on-valley-girl-grb.png

Elon is in this picture?

edit to add after watching:
It seems like a Disney show for 12 year old girls.

Last edited:
To the Moon: Elon Musk's High-Powered Visions - BusinessWeek

When Jon Favreau, director of the Marvel (MVL) superhero film Iron Man, needed a corporate executive for actor Robert Downey Jr. to use as a role model for the flick's hero Tony Stark, he sought out Elon Musk. Like the fictional Stark, an engineering genius who runs a weaponry company and designs many of its armaments, the 38-year-old Musk is the CEO of a company—two, in fact—while serving as the top technologist for both. The two tech execs even tool around in flashy cars: Stark in a superpowered Audi, Musk in a $109,000 electric sports car that was the first vehicle off the assembly line at Tesla Motors, one of his two companies.

Musk appropriately got a smallish role as a scientist in Iron Man...
This article continues with Tony Stark parallels, yet oddly enough never mentions that the Roadster was in the movie. But I never heard that Elon had a cameo too. Anyone know where?

Maybe they were talking about Iron Man II, not Iron Man I.

Twitter / Tim O'Reilly: Elon Musk says the SpaceX ...

That sounds right. Here's Elon's IMDB page, and no mention of Iron Man.

Also found this little nugget on IMDB to explain that weird Valley Girl show he did:

Elon Musk First Up In ‘Valley Girl’ Premiere
31 August 2009 5:10 PM, PDT | Tubefilter.tv | See recent Tubefilter News news »

Props to Elon Musk for stepping up as guinea pig number one on the new season of The Valley Girl Show which premiered today. Ok, maybe it's not so ballsy considering last season's guests, but for the founder of both electric car darling Tesla and rocket maker SpaceX, you have to think he's turned down interviews from considerably more credible outlets. Officially, the pitch line they are sporting is, "imagine if Reese Witherspoon’s character in Legally Blonde had taken Silicon Valley instead of Harvard Law-and been brunette-and you have the Valley Girl." This smart girl playing dumb (or is it a smart girl playing a dumb-sounding smart girl?) has been tried before. There's a earnest charm reminiscent of Kim Evey's Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show, though Draper's Valley Girl character doesn't commit as fully to the archetype. Nor does it play up the awkwardly comedic tension of Citizen Kate, »

Moderator's Note: Moved from here, where I also quoted the BW article.
------------

Doug, thanks for mentioning this article.

When Jon Favreau, director of the Marvel (MVL) superhero film Iron Man, needed a corporate executive for actor Robert Downey Jr. to use as a role model for the flick's hero Tony Stark, he sought out Elon Musk.
Oh, please! Excuse me while I hurl. Are we sure it wasn't Spider Man that needed a technologist CEO role model?

It would be easy to laugh off a man who peppered much of our one-hour lunch with technology chatter about aerodynamics and gear ratios that I could barely understand. But the guy knows his stuff.
Reporters kill me! If Grover didn't understand what Musk was saying, and describes a discussion of technology as chatter, how can he then say that Musk knows his stuff? How could Grover possibly know?

Here's a tip for Grover: if you're writing a fluff piece, don't try to spice it up with some fact-like statements.

[Musk] stepped in to overhaul the car design, creating a superfast, carbon-fiber roadster that's able to hit 60 miles an hour in 3.9 seconds, with a range of 244 miles.
Fact check, please!

Tesla is profitable—at least this quarter—but will soon plunge into the red, he says, when it ramps up production and fills out a dealer network that will have outlets in New York, Los Angeles, and other cities.
What does "ramp up production" mean? Are they going to start making a ton of Roadsters on spec? Or is that referring to building the production facility for Model S? The former seems unlikely and that's a weird way to describe the latter.

Of course after being wildly misquoted after a reporter taped an interview with me at the San Juan Island Concours d'Elegance, I'm reading everything from the media with a renewed level of cynicism.

Finally, to get this post back on topic, does Tesla have sufficient Roadster orders to remain profitable without the Model S design and production facility costs? Obviously, Grover didn't think to ask that question.

It sure would be awesome to have a smart, informed reporter interview Musk.

Last edited:
The article has no mention of how much of his own $ Elon has invested in TM.

That's true, but the whole implication is 10x stupider. The bailouts of GM and Chrysler were driven by them coming to DC and begging for money or they'd go belly up. Tesla's loan came from the ATVM loan program, which was passed to encourage development of alternative energy products, and was passed before the economy collapsed. This entire broadside is based on the fact that Tesla is a car company that borrowed money from the US government, just like GM and Chrysler, and the press killed those guys for using a private jet, so we should kill Tesla also!

Of course, the CEOs of the Big Three flew on private jets when the flew to Washington to beg for bailouts. That was outrageous, but is nothing like Elon, or anyone from Tesla, using a private jet for any reason. I just hope this stupidity doesn't lead him to feel compelled to fly commercial. What a waste of time that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.