Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon is having bad few weeks.

From Transcript: Elon Musk’s press conference about Tesla Autopilot under v8.0 update [Part 4]

Michael Ballaban – Jalopnik
Hey Elon, thanks for taking this question. Yesterday you tweeted that it had been an unusually difficult couple of weeks. Was that just a reference to the SpaceX launch pad fire or was there something else going on?
Elon Musk – Tesla CEO
It’s just been a lot. We are still getting a lot of flak for the whole SolarCity thing which I think is unreasonable and you know, there’s a lot effort on the Autopilot, on the Model 3 development and getting the factory for the Model 3, and then the rocket exploding… [pause] … the worst few weeks ever really.

I knew it must've been rough, but "worse ever" ? That's not good...

Elon is having bad few weeks.

From Transcript: Elon Musk’s press conference about Tesla Autopilot under v8.0 update [Part 4]

I knew it must've been rough, but "worse ever" ? That's not good...

Kind of hard for me to believe that recent events, as bad as they were, are the "worst ever" for Elon. To put things in perspective, both SpaceX and Tesla were nearly out of business by the end of 2008. Today, SpaceX has plenty of launch contracts and Tesla is delivering both Model S and Model X in volume.

Alternatively, "worst ever" could mean "worst ever" in terms of time requirements. Both SpaceX and Tesla are much larger and more complicated organizations than they were 8 years ago, so its possible that Elon meant that he just had too much to deal with.

Reactions: neroden
Kind of hard for me to believe that recent events, as bad as they were, are the "worst ever" for Elon. To put things in perspective, both SpaceX and Tesla were nearly out of business by the end of 2008. Today, SpaceX has plenty of launch contracts and Tesla is delivering both Model S and Model X in volume.

Alternatively, "worst ever" could mean "worst ever" in terms of time requirements. Both SpaceX and Tesla are much larger and more complicated organizations than they were 8 years ago, so its possible that Elon meant that he just had too much to deal with.
I think he just uses "ever" rather causally. Not that I think it was easy for him the past few weeks, just not taking the "ever" that seriously.

Reactions: Ulmo and Topher
Wow, this recent Elon Musk statement on how he drove his engineering team to do the impossible shows exactly why Tesla and SpaceX can do things that no one else can: "[improving the autopilot radar] is something that I wanted to do for a while. Probably since late last year, but I was always told that it wasn’t possible, you can’t do it, it’s not gonna work, nobody else has made it work, software is too hard, sensor is not good enough, but I really pushed hard on questioning all those assumptions last 3 or 4 months. Like there's got to be a way to make this work and now we believe that there is."

Emojis are helpful in conveying meaning that plain text cannot between two people who do not know each other personally.

drink-toast-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: Lex
By some measures, Elon Musk has never invented anything. And yet the president of Tesla and SpaceX has inspired a young generation of business and engineering students smitten by his glamorous profile and apparent success.

The question is whether students captivated by the larger-than-life entrepreneur's projects can learn from Musk's method of turning wild ideas into businesses, thereby helping reinvigorate the Canadian and global economies.

There is no question that the billionaire businessman is an object of fascination.

University clubs and associations around the world hold him up as a model, including at Queen's in Kingston, Ont., where Musk began his undergraduate education.

<snip>

There were electric cars before Tesla, batteries before the Powerwall and the Gigafactory, solar panels before Solar City and rocket launches before Musk's private sector space company SpaceX. The idea of vacuum tube transportation stretches back a century before Musk proposed the Hyperloop as an open-source business venture.

Musk's magic as an innovator and entrepreneur is to make crazy ideas seem like practical business ventures.

"We love those things because they play on our imagination," says Derbyshire.

<snip>

Derbyshire says Musk's special talents include looking beyond himself to try to solve global problems, and motivating other smart people.

"The payoff isn't always money," she says, pointing to the altruistic impetus for so many of Musk's visionary schemes. And she says that in the business of innovation, coaxing support from financial backers is an essential part of the job.

"When Tesla was faltering, Elon Musk went back to those people and made those people believe again that a further investment would get that invention over the line," says Derbyshire.

<snip>
Full article at:

What young innovators can learn from Elon Musk: Don Pittis

What will Elon Musk reveal on Monday (10/17)? I have a guess but I've not exactly batted a thousand, not even close. I was thinking maybe a hatchback version of the Model 3 but then I remembered Musk saying Tesla would not have to raise any additional funds in Q4. I think Tesla/Musk may have found someone with very deep pockets (like a Google or an Apple) to buy into Tesla. Maybe not BUY Tesla outright as in take it over but become Tesla's "bank". Been wrong before on these things but we'll see Monday. Any thoughts on what else it might be?

There are other threads speculating about that already. I think some main candidates are something related to autopilot or something related to Solar City, but we should know soon... (2 days to go)

What will Elon Musk reveal on Monday (10/17)?
Please use the existing thread to discuss that and add your comments to the nearly 400 posts already in that thread. Unveiling on Oct 17th

There are multiple other threads about the same topic, but that is the most popular one.

This thread is for more personal stuff about Elon.

Reactions: TEG
Status
Not open for further replies.