Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4193.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg

Apparently I'm not the only one who sends messages, deletes them and rewrites them :rolleyes::p:D

Governance has become synonymous with obstructionism
Similar to what traditional ICE car manufacturing companies try to do to EV tech in the name of technology advancement
MUSK is able to accomplish so much in such a short time against such tremendous odds gives me hope that all is not lost with the current system
We just need a MUSK for every village, city, state and country
Find and support one.

Why wait? I'd vote for him now especially with the goons on the 2016 ballot. ;):D:p

I can't say the choices this year have sent me over the moon, but even if he had such ambitions, Elon is not eligible to become president without a constitutional amendment. There was a push on to do such an amendment when Arnold's term as governor of California was almost up, but the paternity scandal kind of silenced the proponents.

Elon is very talented and masters any task he takes on, but I would not say he is qualified to be president today. The skill set to be an effective president is different than that needed to be a captain of industry. There is a myth around that it would be a good thing to get business people in government, but I disagree. A business leader who is sufficiently flexible and willing to learn what it takes might do a good job of governing, but being a CEO and a top government leader are two very different jobs.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and AndreN
Think Musk made a few missteps in the Solar presentation today.
1. He talked about CO2 levels - instant turn-off for many people.
2. He didn't re-iterate the point that covering only 1% of one state in the USA would be enough to make the USA energy independent. Those slides that he showed on the Powerwall/Powerpack version 1 presentation - they should have been used again. Far more relevant to a solar-roof presentation!
3. Didn't mention energy independence!
4. He presented zero facts about the solar tiles - energy efficiency / cost. Didn't say the advantage that all of the roof could be solar powered.
5. When there was some stuff written about the Ppowerwall - he was standing in the wrong place - blocking the start of the sentences!
6. He stammered and miss-spoke quite a bit in the first few minutes.
Also - the camera cut away from the panels he was holding up so that one was never shown.
Seemed quite poorly rehearsed.

Think Musk made a few missteps in the Solar presentation today.
1. He talked about CO2 levels - instant turn-off for many people.
2. He didn't re-iterate the point that covering only 1% of one state in the USA would be enough to make the USA energy independent. Those slides that he showed on the Powerwall/Powerpack version 1 presentation - they should have been used again. Far more relevant to a solar-roof presentation!
3. Didn't mention energy independence!

Real energy independence is some time away. For stationary power, the US has been independent for a long time. The only time it was was the short period of about a decade between the decline of domestic oil and the phasing out of oil fueled power plants.

Energy independence for transportation is going to take a massive investment in both infrastructure and factories to make batteries. Elon Musk recently said it will take 100 Gigafactories to convert all cars built to electric. I've calculated it's closer to 200, but I'm including light trucks and assuming all have long range packs. That doesn't include trains or heavy trucks, that will require even more Gigafactories.

The charging infrastructure also has to be built to support all those vehicles. Most EV owners today are able to charge in their garages, but at least half the US population can't do that. And charging for long distance trips needs to be vastly expanded too.

Vastly expanding solar is a step in this process, but we're looking at decades before petroleum is even a minority energy source in our transportation system.

4. He presented zero facts about the solar tiles - energy efficiency / cost. Didn't say the advantage that all of the roof could be solar powered.
5. When there was some stuff written about the Ppowerwall - he was standing in the wrong place - blocking the start of the sentences!
6. He stammered and miss-spoke quite a bit in the first few minutes.
Also - the camera cut away from the panels he was holding up so that one was never shown.
Seemed quite poorly rehearsed.

Elon always stammers. He really is a poor public speaker. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole presentation, but it sounds like this was not one of his best. I would like to know more about the solar tiles. That's could potentially be SolarCity's killer app.

Real energy independence is some time away. For stationary power, the US has been independent for a long time. The only time it was was the short period of about a decade between the decline of domestic oil and the phasing out of oil fueled power plants.

Energy independence for transportation is going to take a massive investment in both infrastructure and factories to make batteries. Elon Musk recently said it will take 100 Gigafactories to convert all cars built to electric. I've calculated it's closer to 200, but I'm including light trucks and assuming all have long range packs. That doesn't include trains or heavy trucks, that will require even more Gigafactories.

The charging infrastructure also has to be built to support all those vehicles. Most EV owners today are able to charge in their garages, but at least half the US population can't do that. And charging for long distance trips needs to be vastly expanded too.

Vastly expanding solar is a step in this process, but we're looking at decades before petroleum is even a minority energy source in our transportation system.

Elon always stammers. He really is a poor public speaker. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole presentation, but it sounds like this was not one of his best. I would like to know more about the solar tiles. That's could potentially be SolarCity's killer app.

I like the tiles - and 4 different designs - it's far more than I thought they'd present - I like the idea of the cells only being visible from a high angle.
The presentation also said nothing about how they solve the insulation problem of a roof - and how it integrates. If the cells have their own inverter or use a string. How they cope with shade. Also - if the roof is north facing would they put blank tiles on or traditional tiles.

Regarding energy independence:
if you want to sell solar one good way is to say "energy independence" - even if it's a personal virtue. ie. buyer's can feel good about themselves and feel they're not part of the problem. It might not make a % difference to the country - but it changes somebody from a net importer to part of the solution.

Apparently the guy does not even prepare for his presentations, he just walks up to the stage and starts speaking. Presumably he knows the order of the slides before he gets up there, but in the solar presentation even that was not evident! It may not be very polished, but no one can accuse him of not being authentic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.