Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are Smart people - meaning those with high horsepower.
There are well educated people
There are highly motivated people
Success can be from poorly educated, but smart and motivated....You pick the combination.
I am a member of Mensa, have twin PhD and have a few bucks in the bank, but feel like I'm not successful - when I look at others who have more stuff, trophy wives, bigger houses. and are developing disruptive technologies. Can a mere mortal compete with such brain as Elon?
Awhile back, I tried to invest in competition with Warren Buffet. Then it occurred, Why Compete? Why not let the best investor use his leverage to invest FOR me. Just buy BRK stock and let it happen without further effort on my part. Lets apply this to Elon - give him my money, my support and NOT my competition.

Success is largely meeting your own definitions. I worked with somebody years ago who said he measured his success based on what he was driving. He started out driving a 1972 pickup and his goal was a brand new Mercedes. He said the day he bought the Mercedes something deflated in him. He realized the goal was a hollow one. His wife was just as materialistic as he had been and she didn't change, so that set the marriage on a course for destruction.

When I worked with him he was getting divorced and trying to find himself. He and I talked a fair bit as my goals have largely been internal and he wanted to pick my mind. I would like to have a bit more financial security and it would be nice to have some acreage, but I really don't want all that much from the material world.

I measure my success by how much inner peace I have. I'm not completely there, but life today is generally better than it once was.

I never wanted to work in a velvet sweat shop like Tesla or Microsoft. Those places demand your soul to work there. You might be able to claim participation in something great, but at what price? I did work a few months at Microsoft as a contractor in the hardware division. The company culture was changing than as Bill Gates had a family and the average age of the employees was getting older. It was an interesting place, but I was glad I was a contractor and my time was limited.

Everything I read out of South Africa right now is that it is a declining country. I wonder if that has a lot to do with business climate there.

A few weeks back Trevor Noah talked about what's been going on back in his home country. South Africa was an up and coming country after Apartheid, but one corrupt president and his cronies have trashed the economy and the country is not doing well.

Pondering what it takes to be successful, we can point to the characteristics of Mr Musk. Driven, intelligent, a dreamers vision. All good things. Now, lets put that package inside a person of color. Would he be as successful? Lets put that package in a woman's brain. Would she be as successful? Lets put that package in a religious garb - you pick the flavor...same question.
So I suggest that Mr Musk has advantages beyond Driven, intelligent vision. Our society - does put up glass ceilings, walls. And those walls are Tesla Glass strong. Wish it was not so, but that is a description of reality from my view point.

Success is largely meeting your own definitions. I worked with somebody years ago who said he measured his success based on what he was driving. He started out driving a 1972 pickup and his goal was a brand new Mercedes. He said the day he bought the Mercedes something deflated in him. He realized the goal was a hollow one. His wife was just as materialistic as he had been and she didn't change, so that set the marriage on a course for destruction.

When I worked with him he was getting divorced and trying to find himself. He and I talked a fair bit as my goals have largely been internal and he wanted to pick my mind. I would like to have a bit more financial security and it would be nice to have some acreage, but I really don't want all that much from the material world.

I measure my success by how much inner peace I have. I'm not completely there, but life today is generally better than it once was.

I never wanted to work in a velvet sweat shop like Tesla or Microsoft. Those places demand your soul to work there. You might be able to claim participation in something great, but at what price? I did work a few months at Microsoft as a contractor in the hardware division. The company culture was changing than as Bill Gates had a family and the average age of the employees was getting older. It was an interesting place, but I was glad I was a contractor and my time was limited.

I completely embrace your position - Success is your own definition. Comparing to others is a path with no happy end. Are the rich and powerful happy? How rich is rich enough? How many cars an you drive? how many steaks can you eat? How pretty is pretty enough?
I have a wife of many years- a life partner who contributes more than I can measure. I have all the stuff I NEED, and most of what I want. I have plaques on my walls thanking for my contributions. Yes my life is successful. Is it AS successful as others? Is it as successful as it COULD have been if only that one little thing happened differently?
Lets not compete - but support those that we can help.

Reactions: ModelX
Exactly. Some days success for me is being able to crawl out of bed and stand. Other days I raise my expectations and add walking. :D
I really hope that you are being sarcastic....if you really have infirmities where "success' is just getting up - Well, with that as a baseline, getting up is really important and shows me just how good I have it relative to the challenges of others.
And it does show how to define success.

I really hope that you are being sarcastic....if you really have infirmities where "success' is just getting up - Well, with that as a baseline, getting up is really important and shows me just how good I have it relative to the challenges of others.
And it does show how to define success.

It was a joke (big grin emoticom was added), but there are people where just being able to get up and about is a struggle. So yes, that's a successful day for them.

It's okay to define success by stuff or trophy wives if that makes you happy and fulfills you.

Pondering what it takes to be successful, we can point to the characteristics of Mr Musk. Driven, intelligent, a dreamers vision. All good things. Now, lets put that package inside a person of color. Would he be as successful? Lets put that package in a woman's brain. Would she be as successful? Lets put that package in a religious garb - you pick the flavor...same question.
So I suggest that Mr Musk has advantages beyond Driven, intelligent vision. Our society - does put up glass ceilings, walls. And those walls are Tesla Glass strong. Wish it was not so, but that is a description of reality from my view point.

So what? Elon started off literally penniless after he escaped a dead end society. Everyone has their own challenges. Life does not give us an equal footing to start out with. Some people are smart, some not so smart, some have an internal motor and must do things, some people are emotionally disadvantaged and have a hard time understanding people, some people are very empathetic. And starting off poor or rich? Try gaining internal motivation to study really hard when you have a trust fund sitting there. The calculus for success isn't that straightforward.

So what? Elon started off literally penniless after he escaped a dead end society. Everyone has their own challenges. Life does not give us an equal footing to start out with.

Ashlee Vance's biography of Musk describes Elon's childhood as unpleasant and sometimes violent. He was bullied endlessly and once beaten so badly in school that he had to have a nose job to repair damage to his face. Elon's father, Errol, is said to have done everything possible to sap the joy out of everyone's existence. Errol is supposedly so crazy that Elon won't even let his kids meet their grandfather, and the rest of Elon's family agrees with this decision.

It is true that being a white man in the United States is a cultural advantage, but it is frankly a miracle that Musk made it out of South Africa in one piece and mostly sane.

For an Asian in the US, it probably wouldn't have been any barrier. A lot of Hispanics have been quite successful too, one of my SO's cousins is a VP at IBM. Depending on what circumstances Elon had been born into, he might have had more of a struggle to get where he did.

For example if he had been born black in South Africa, he might never have gotten the early education he did get. Elon's being a Canadian citizen by birth also helped him quite a bit. It got him into North America with little hassle.

I completely embrace your position - Success is your own definition. Comparing to others is a path with no happy end. Are the rich and powerful happy? How rich is rich enough? How many cars an you drive? how many steaks can you eat? How pretty is pretty enough?
I have a wife of many years- a life partner who contributes more than I can measure. I have all the stuff I NEED, and most of what I want. I have plaques on my walls thanking for my contributions. Yes my life is successful. Is it AS successful as others? Is it as successful as it COULD have been if only that one little thing happened differently?
Lets not compete - but support those that we can help.

A long time ago I came up with the following definitions:

Poor - You don't have enough to meet all your needs

Middle class - All your needs are met and you have a varying degree of your wants met

Rich - You have enough for all your needs and wants with plenty left over.

Each person is going to be different. Someone of limited means with good health might squeak into the lower ranges of middle class, while someone with a medical condition that requires daily medication might be poor with the same income. And what you consider a need and a want can vary quite a bit. On a mailing list I was on many years ago someone posted a thing to imagine your ideal life. The answers varied from a small house that's paid for and a reasonable income every month to a lifestyle like the British royal family.

I also came to the conclusion that once someone reaches "rich" you have a choice to decide its enough or to use your wealth to keep score. The rich people most people respect are those who came to the conclusion they had enough. Any increase in their wealth is just accumulation from their past work, or it's a side benefit from their ongoing work. Most of the rich people who are hated are those who just want to keep score and live like a Bond villain.

It was a joke (big grin emoticom was added), but there are people where just being able to get up and about is a struggle. So yes, that's a successful day for them.

It's okay to define success by stuff or trophy wives if that makes you happy and fulfills you.

My SO was once in that situation. She was so sick the doctors wrote her off as dead twice. She put her life and her health back together and lives a normal life with a few odd health quirks she needs to maintain.

Ashlee Vance's biography of Musk describes Elon's childhood as unpleasant and sometimes violent. He was bullied endlessly and once beaten so badly in school that he had to have a nose job to repair damage to his face. Elon's father, Errol, is said to have done everything possible to sap the joy out of everyone's existence. Errol is supposedly so crazy that Elon won't even let his kids meet their grandfather, and the rest of Elon's family agrees with this decision.

It is true that being a white man in the United States is a cultural advantage, but it is frankly a miracle that Musk made it out of South Africa in one piece and mostly sane.

I remember that from Elon's biography. I believe his father comes from one of the old Dutch families and was a fervent supporter of the status quo. Elon never agreed with his father and wanted to get as far away from that world as soon as he could. He gravitated towards California because the culture there was very much a meritocracy where anyone with an idea can get a fair shot, especially in the major cities (some parts of California not so much).

Reactions: FlatSix911
Elon is really inspiring a cult... A band dedicated to him is trying to fund a satellite that will broadcast his ideas (and the band's music ofc) across the globe and beyond...
Cults aren't exactly my thing, but Elon does belong in the company of great people who've changed the course of history for the better, such as Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Edison, and Albert Einstein.

I enjoyed "Fusion Reactor (In The Sky)". Thanks for sharing this interesting band! Hope their Kickstarter campaign goes well.

The many failures of Elon Musk, captured in one giant infographic :cool:

The Tesla CEO has forged past many, many setbacks throughout the years.

MW-FN186_musk_0_20170524133537_ZH.jpg

If you’re going to fail... fail like Elon Musk? Musk’s impressive resume is littered with accomplishments, but it’s worth remembering it’s not all sunbeams and soaring stock prices. Here’s a history of his notable failures and setbacks, as compiled in a massive infographic from Kickresume.

MW-FN180_musk01_20170524130601_NS.png

In 2000, Musk almost died after contracting malaria while traveling to Brazil and his homeland South Africa. His take on the incident? “Vacation will kill you.”

MW-FN181_musk02_20170524130601_NS.png

First rocket launch.... first explosion:

MW-FN182_musk03_20170524130602_NS.png

It seems like most of us would have given up right around here, after Tesla dealt with issues around both crash-related battery fires and even cases around spontaneous combustion.

MW-FN183_musk04_20170524130602_NS.png

But he didn’t give up, which leads us to:

MW-FN184_musk05_20170524130602_NS.png

Musk is by no means the only entrepreneur who has met with epic failures along the road to success.

Walt Disney was fired from a newspaper for “not being creative enough” and founded a film studio that went bankrupt before moving to Los Angeles with just $40. Jeff Bezos could become the richest person in the world soon, but admits “I’ve made billions of dollars of failures at Amazon.com.” Steve Jobs was famously ousted from Apple in 1985 and later said of that time, “I was a very public failure.” Steven Spielberg was rejected from the University of Southern California’s film school twice, and Oprah Winfrey was fired from her first television job as an anchor.
“I think it’s important to have a good hard failure when you’re young because it makes you kind of aware of what can happen to you,” Disney once said. “Because of it I’ve never had any fear in my whole life when we’ve been near collapse.”

Reactions: jkn and GoTslaGo
Disney was also on the verge of bankruptcy when the US got into World War II. The only way the company stayed afloat was doing training films for the military.

Elon Musk's life story is amazing. A movie or mini-series telling his life story with no dramatic enhancements would be almost unbelievable. He has had so many close calls with his businesses on the verge of failure, palace intrigue, etc. When SpaceX had their first successful launch the company was on the ropes. They didn't have enough money to try again if that one failed. Tesla was also down to the last 24 hours if its existence in December 2008. If they didn't get funding, they wouldn't be able to make payroll and the company was out of business. Elon managed to get funding with less than 24 hours to spare. I think it was Christmas Eve too and he bought Christmas presents at a 24 hour gas station because it was the only place open.

• Informative
Reactions: MagT and FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.