Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinking exactly:

t48mdrkcwki81.png

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and FlatSix911
I don’t ride Jane Fonda to work and don’t park her in my garage. No one sees me at lunch and asks how I feel about Jane Fonda.

I truly think it’s important for those who support Tesla to realize that the bulk of customers are just regular car buyers now. These are the same folks who wouldn’t buy a gasoline Tiguan because of Dieselgate or a Honda Accord because it doesn’t come in orange. Now that the company is far beyond the affluent fanboi nerd customer base it doesn’t take as much to sway purchase decisions.

Having the Tesla brand directly tied to very frequent, extremely public, and highly controversial commentary on sensitive topics could hurt Tesla going forward. It certainly isn’t helping.

At least in my case it’s more an issue of my car being tied to Musk’s public whims than the whims themselves. Everybody has opinions and perspectives and of course some I will disagree with. Nevertheless I don’t want to be involuntarily looped in with Musk’s perspectives in the Costco parking lot.

I didn’t intend to sign up for the tasteless meme associations when I bought this car four years ago. Included in my decision process when I buy my next car will be the likelihood that the car will be publicly related to the political leanings and the championing of causes by the person at the helm, whether or not I’m of like mind.

Mary Barra, in my opinion, sucks for her attempt to overthrow CARB regulations, but if I show up to dinner in a Chevy nobody knows who she is. She doesn’t get on a bullhorn every week stirring up controversy. As a car buyer I would like to avoid being associated with controversy.
That's my point: There shouldn't be any controversy, it's just a meme, which was used numerous time before. People only make it a controversy because they hate Musk in the first place, this has nothing to do with his memes but everything to with him disrupting multiple industries and being the richest man in the world. He has plenty of tasteless tweets before (like the ones about ****ing a horse), it was not an issue four years ago because he's still an underdog, and US society hasn't gone completely crazy over billionaires.

That's my point: There shouldn't be any controversy, it's just a meme, which was used numerous time before. People only make it a controversy because they hate Musk in the first place, this has nothing to do with his memes but everything to with him disrupting multiple industries and being the richest man in the world. He has plenty of tasteless tweets before (like the ones about ****ing a horse), it was not an issue four years ago because he's still an underdog, and US society hasn't gone completely crazy over billionaires.

Whether or not there should, there is. And as a customer it’s getting old.

Wow! So much outrage from Elon’s tweets made years ago still going strong everywhere!

Oh wait. No it’s not.

This too shall be mostly forgotten in 6 months.

For those that are so “offended” will probably buy a BMW (greatly supported by Hitler), VW (dieselgate), Ford (founder anti semite), GM (EV killer), Toyota (fossil fuel supporter)….and will think nothing of it. Too funny.

I don’t ride Jane Fonda to work and don’t park her in my garage. No one sees me at lunch and asks how I feel about Jane Fonda.

I truly think it’s important for those who support Tesla to realize that the bulk of customers are just regular car buyers now. These are the same folks who wouldn’t buy a gasoline Tiguan because of Dieselgate or a Honda Accord because it doesn’t come in orange. Now that the company is far beyond the affluent fanboi nerd customer base it doesn’t take as much to sway purchase decisions.

Having the Tesla brand directly tied to very frequent, extremely public, and highly controversial commentary on sensitive topics could hurt Tesla going forward. It certainly isn’t helping.
Jane Fonda is just one small example, there're plenty of others, I couldn't list them all since that would cause my comment to be deleted.

I'm not convinced this would hurt Tesla going forward, especially given: a. This is a US specific phenomena, US is just 23% of the world market; b. probably half of country actually agrees with him.

Jane Fonda is just one small example, there're plenty of others, I couldn't list them all since that would cause my comment to be deleted.

I'm not convinced this would hurt Tesla going forward, especially given: a. This is a US specific phenomena, US is just 23% of the world market; b. probably half of country actually agrees with him.

It doesn’t help. And adding negative association for the other half of the US, in your example, is a weird way to reach customers.

Reactions: Bikeman
It doesn’t help. And adding negative association for the other half of the US, in your example, is a weird way to reach customers.
It's not a way to reach customers, it's just a something he does for fun, given how much pressure he's under and how much workload he has, I don't blame him. And this is how social media is used by 99% of the people online anyways, his usage pattern is nothing special. You can view it as a personal failing if you like, it's debatable, but nobody is perfect, frankly given what he has accomplished and is accomplishing, this is something extremely minor.

It doesn’t “help”. I agree. I wish he didn’t do it.

But seriously, I find the fake outrage to be ten times worse from all these supposed “saints” and how they are steering this into Elon somehow making fun of the holocaust than Elon’s goofy meme joke. Says more about society and this overt pearl clutching with how it’s seriously gotten out of hand.

Social media is a net negative on society.

It's not a way to reach customers, it's just a something he does for fun, given how much pressure he's under and how much workload he has, I don't blame him. And this is how social media is used by 99% of the people online anyways, his usage pattern is nothing special. You can view it as a personal failing if you like, it's debatable, but nobody is perfect, frankly given what he has accomplished and is accomplishing, this is something extremely minor.

Twitter, autoblog, and so forth all have some permutation of “ELON MUSK -HITLER TWEET…” out today.

Whether or not it’s fair or hysteria, that’s what car shoppers are seeing today. It will pass, but what will be the next one?

It’s not helping and, if one is impressed by Musk’s accomplishments, this sort of stigma is unnecessarily clouding those.

On these points we can agree.

If the media can’t give Tesla a fair shake then I wish Musk wouldn’t voluntarily stab it in the back by giving fuel for negativity.
Evidently a package deal. Until Elon is a net negative (which I think he is far from that), I will not be concerned.

Worth a read for perspective.

To add perspective I suggest anybody seeking to disqualify Elon Musk might check biographies of Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein or many other outsized contributors to human advances. It might help to check W A Mozart, as well. With an tiny amount of insight we see that great accomplishments are almost (I say almost only because I am not positive it is actually 'all') never made by well-balanced socially adept people. That does not apply to only men. Marie Curie, Ada Lovelace and Rosalind Franklin come to mind. Without these flawed women we'd have waited longer to have understanding of things such as radioactivity, programming and DNA.

From ancient times great accomplishments-lishmenst have come from flawed people.
Now we have Elon Musk who stands in clear harmony with the great accomplishments of human history. Were he not serious flawed would he have had the ability to develop 'impossible' things?”

Musk’s childish and misguided personal views and antics don’t help, but my greater concern is the increasingly boneheaded approach he is taking in actually running Tesla itself. The yoke, the divisive and unnecessarily complex Cybertruck design, the poorly executed recent software releases, the ongoing problems with self-driving development despite repeated promises, etc. I really support the EV project and appreciate my Model 3, but at this point my impression is that Musk might be getting in the way of Tesla maturing and advancing as a company.

Elon latest tweet about the protests. Tame enough for you guys? Do you approve?

View attachment 771359
This is good advice. Also I don't think any country likes foreigners interfering in their internal affairs so his support is likely detrimental anyway.
The trucker's tactics were never going to be effective. Many teachers unions have successfully defeated mandates in the US by having a large enough percentage of their members not comply.

Reactions: VanGuy
Elon latest tweet about the protests. Tame enough for you guys? Do you approve?

View attachment 771359
Oh don’t want to talk about him inciting the terrorists with hitler memes??

Cancelled my CT reservation. #Rivian here we go. I haven’t regretted my M3 until that day. I can handle his immature *sugar* but that was so ****ing far over the line I’m still seeing red.

Status
Not open for further replies.