Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don’t want to talk about him inciting the terrorists with hitler memes??

Cancelled my CT reservation. #Rivian here we go. I haven’t regretted my M3 until that day. I can handle his immature *sugar* but that was so ****ing far over the line I’m still seeing red.
SWEET! Hopefully you were ahead of me in the CT line.

BTW, I can only find this news on pro-Tesla websites, zero mentioning from main stream media. Apparently MSM thinks reporting Musk's random meme tweet is more newsworthy than this.

BTW, I can only find this news on pro-Tesla websites, zero mentioning from main stream media. Apparently MSM thinks reporting Musk's random meme tweet is more newsworthy than this.
How many articles have you read about previous National Academy of Engineers elections in the MSM?

How many of them have been the richest man in the world with 75M twitter followers?
My point, which I'm sure you're aware, is it doesn't really qualify as broadly interesting news. It is niche news that is appropriately reported by niche outlets. Is everything Musk does newsworthy, since he has 75M twitter followers? I don't read much news about people using the toilet, but maybe we should see Elon's regularity reported in the MSM?

Congratulations to him, of course. It's an honor to be one of the 2388 US members of this prestigious organization, and it's well deserved. I am just not moved by the "Elon did it so we need to see it in the MSM" argument.

There is another brewing war between Elon and the SEC. Elon just tweeted this:

In response to a not great article from Teslarati that describes a letter Elon's lawyer has sent the SEC alleging the SEC leaker investigative data. Here's the letter in full from Elon's lawyer:

We came to Your Honor this past week to express grave concerns about the conduct of the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC” or the “Commission”), which has failed Tesla shareholders and weaponized this Court’s consent decree for illicit ends. In its written response to this Court, the Commission tried to waive away these concerns. At the same time, the SEC does not and cannot deny that it has yet to pay the $40 million-and-counting that it promised to pay Tesla shareholders. See Sec. & Exch. Comm, Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge (2018-226) (Sept. 29, 2018) SEC.gov | Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge. More than 1,200 days following the SEC’s receipt of the funds in question, it has not distributed a penny.

The Commission’s claim that its “staff have not issued any subpoenas in this litigation” is disingenuous at best. Lest this Court be misled, we are obliged to pinpoint specifics that may shine light on the Commission’s representation. In a subpoena sent to Tesla in November 2021, the Commission specifically demanded documents concerning my clients’ “compliance or noncompliance with Tesla’s disclosure controls and procedures, executive communications policy, external communications policy, other policies or procedures relating to public statements or communications by Tesla executives, or the final judgment or amended final judgment in SEC v. Musk, 1:18-cv-8865-AJN (S.D.N.Y.).” The Commission issued a subpoena with similar demands to Mr. Musk.

But our concerns now go well beyond niceties of the Commission’s representations. It has become clearer and clearer that the Commission is out to retaliate against my clients for exercising their First Amendment rights—most recently by criticizing the Commission on the public docket and by petitioning this Court for relief. Upon information and belief, after I filed the February 17, 2022 letter to this Court regarding the Commission’s conduct, at least one member of the SEC staff responded by leaking certain information regarding its investigation. This leak is emblematic of the vindictive, improper conduct that occasioned my letter: the SEC is retaliating against Mr. Musk and Tesla, without answering to the constraints of principle or law in so doing. See 17 CFR § 203.2 (“Information or documents obtained by the Commission in the course of any investigation or examination, unless made a matter of public record, shall be deemed non-public . . .”); 17 CFR § 203.5 (“Unless otherwise ordered by the Commission, all formal investigative proceedings shall be non-public.”).

By letter dated February 19, 2022, we respectfully requested that specific SEC staff members preserve their records and devices. We have also reported the matter to the SEC Office of Inspector General. No denial has been forthcoming as of yet. So that the Court is advised of the premises and able to address the ostensible misconduct before it, we now respectfully seek on-the-record assurance that the Commission has not leaked investigative details in violation of its own rules and policies, and is otherwise acting in accordance with the law.

Respectfully submitted, /s/ Alex Spiro Alex Spiro

One thing is certain - the SEC has been unhelpful to TSLA shareholders. I feel sure that Elon regrets settling with the SEC over the 2018 "funding secured" tweet, which by the way was not at all inappropriate given the presence of willing funders. The reputation of the SEC is being harmed by their harassment of a legitimate company and its shareholders. This is most unfortunate, as the markets need the SEC to reign in those who are truly preying on investors.

Justice department is separate from the SEC. Elon’s beef is with the SEC.
I was just pointing out that he likes when the government does things that potentially could benefit him. I happen to agree with Musk on short selling. The way that the Internet is these days, it's far to easy to spread FUD about a particular company and then profit handsomely when the stock dives. I hope that DOJ does a thorough job of investigating Twitter, reddit and other social media sites.

I was just pointing out that he likes when the government does things that potentially could benefit him. I happen to agree with Musk on short selling. The way that the Internet is these days, it's far to easy to spread FUD about a particular company and then profit handsomely when the stock dives. I hope that DOJ does a thorough job of investigating Twitter, reddit and other social media sites.
The sites aren’t the problem. Market manipulators are the problem.

The sites aren’t the problem. Market manipulators are the problem.
Nope. I can't agree with that. The sites are a problem too in that it is easy to spoof one's identity. Further, it's even easier to employ bots that appear to be real live human beings. DOJ needs to look at both the individuals and how they gamed social media sites.

Jeremy Arnold, who wrote an excellent piece debunking the "Elon emeralds" story, just posted a teaser for a new article. I imagine that it may mention Elon Musk once or twice 😉.

Here's the relevant part (text in bold by me):

Instead of feeling guilty about the smaller stories I’m not getting out (some of which may still see the light of day; no promises), I’m going to largely backburner them to focus on the behemoth that I’ve been working on for well over a year now: a full re-evaluation of the Thai cave rescue. It’s the most important and most involved story I’ve ever touched. It will deeply surprise people, on multiple dimensions. It’s a genuinely wild narrative that even a very long article can only do very bare justice to, and it gives outstanding color to many of the dynamics I’ve gone on about here.​
The main story is 98% drafted, the artwork commissions are in, and the teaser is sketched out. My partner on the story (bless him) is just waiting on me to help finish the many, many footnotes. I’m planning to take some time off work in the coming week or two to get that over the finish line.​

Please let's not rehash the whole "Elon and the Cave of Doom" saga just yet. After all, everyone has probably already said everything worth saying, at least once. Maybe this article give us something new to chew on. But until then....

Anyone who wants to can follow J. Arnold on substack and get an email alert when he has something to share. Last time I checked, that was free: just follow the link and look for the "subscribe" button.

Also Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy means Space Force no longer relies on Russian RD-180 engine on Atlas V to launch their military satellites, every US person should be thankful for Elon Musk and SpaceX put in the hard work to make this possible. Every person who's mad about some stupid meme a few weeks ago should really sit down and reflect on this fact, there're way way more important things in this world than tweets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.