Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They wouldn't have paid $250K to a flight attendant that was never on a flight with Elon.

There was a payment, and non-disclosure agreement signed.
lol. yeah. no kidding. especially as the FA had a colleague who confirmed and hence the $250k payment and a NDA. that being said - for it being "only" $250k it likely was very mild stuff but there's NO WAY they would pay a quarter-million $ plus NDA on record to someone who never was on the same flight as Elon...

Not really equivalent, he managed to run the company for a long time without getting extremely political.
Not trying to equate the two, illustrating that sometimes the situation requires doing things that one doesn't want to.
As opposed to
Funny Elon statement from the article, clearly not true:
"I would prefer to stay out of politics."
Where you appear to be saying that Elon wants to be in politics.

Ugh, I detest the time tracking crap.

There absolutely should be a category for improving moral or making the place a better place to work. I think most of us have wasted company time while venting about something going on at our place of employment. Maybe its politically related or maybe its the 1" gaps in bathroom stalls. It's just human nature to gripe about things, and I personally think its important for companies to listen to its workers.

Sure these things are a distraction, but sometimes its less of a distraction to address the concerns and then move on.

This issue at SpaceX was likely brewing for months where it was costing productivity.

They might think that by firing the workers that the problem will go away, but it won't. Instead there will likely be a lawsuit for wrongful termination, and workers wasting time talking about that. There is a also a huge moral impact.

I'm not all that concerned about SpaceX on the whole. I think they're so far ahead of competitors that it will simply be a distraction.
I would venture to guess that 95% of the people there don’t want to talk about this at work didn’t appreciate being hassled about this. Most people just want to do their jobs and these “activists” are more of a distraction than Elon. I certainly wouldn’t want some small group of rabble rousers acting as if they represent my views like that.

Sure, my coworkers and I all chat over lunch about things but sending out surveys and leaking letters to the press is way over that line. Bring it up at an “all hands” or go up the chain of command. The last thing we need is a charge code for activism at work.

The entire purpose of a non-disclosure agreement is to prevent proof.

If neither the 250K payment nor the non-disclosure agreement existed then why is SpaceX defending it the way they are?

For example "“Personally, I believe the allegations to be false; not because I work for Elon, but because I have worked closely with him for 20 years and never seen nor heard anything resembling these allegations,”"

Why say that? Why not just go through the of claims and deny each one.

We don't have flight attendants
We never paid a flight attendant $250K to settle a sexual harassment case.
We never made a flight attendant sign a non-disclosure agreement.

There is no need to even go into character of the he-said/she-said elements of it. Elon went so far that he wanted the friend of the flight attendant to describe his body parts despite the fact that the "flight attendant" didn't want to talk about the case.

This entire thing would have disappeared in a poof if SpaceX/Elon did a better job responding to it.

A lot of aspects of it are simply unbelievable like the "friend" suddenly feeling like it was time to come forwards with it.

In my own mind it went from a hard no way did this happen to a "that's a weird way to handle this".

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
such a strong denial ... coming from SpaceX president...

"I believe the allegations to be false; not because I work for Elon, but because I have worked closely with him for 20 yrs & never seen nor heard anything resembling these allegations,"

why not just state officially that there was no $250k payment (!) as severance to a flight attendant (!) ... if Elon doesn't use flight attendants that would be easy to officially state

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

Here’s the truth. Elon Musk is now a danger to himself, his companies, and the hundreds of thousands of supporters who have made him the wealthiest person in human history. In the past few weeks, he has become more and more unhinged. It all began to unravel when Elon the Magnificent decided he and he alone should be the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media.

So you agree there is no proof.
I agree that the concrete proof is not possible due to the alleged non-disclosure agreement. Various states have enacted laws to restrict the usage of nondisclosure agreement like this when it comes to sexual harassment.

SpaceX has its headquarters in CA which to my limited knowledge has a law against it going back to 2018.

The payout supposedly happened in 2018 which might mean it was settled right before this law went into effect.

Here’s the truth. Elon Musk is now a danger to himself, his companies, and the hundreds of thousands of supporters who have made him the wealthiest person in human history. In the past few weeks, he has become more and more unhinged. It all began to unravel when Elon the Magnificent decided he and he alone should be the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media.
What a load of BS. Twitter before Elon was the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media. Elon is trying to pry that open. Cleantechnica has it 100% backwards.

It's the usual playbook of the left. Demonize anyone who isn't in 100% agreement with your worldview, including the single most important person to actually do something about sustainable transport. Without Elon, there would be no EVs.

such a strong denial ... coming from SpaceX president...

"I believe the allegations to be false; not because I work for Elon, but because I have worked closely with him for 20 yrs & never seen nor heard anything resembling these allegations,"

why not just state officially that there was no $250k payment (!) as severance to a flight attendant (!) ... if Elon doesn't use flight attendants that would be easy to officially state

I was initially puzzled by the "Proof" question. But, then I realized I never really asked the question myself.

I simply accepted that there was a 250K payout, and non-disclosure agreement because that's what the media has been presenting.
It's such a common occurrence that I really didn't give it a second thought despite being the most important question.

Just another mistake in a life of millions of mistakes.

But, then I began to wonder if it wasn't the reaction of Elon/SpaceX that really solidified my base assumption that those two things were factually true. That there was no proof, but a defense that never seemed to challenge those two things. The challenge only seemed to center on the harassment itself. The whole "its a political attack" also didn't help even if correct.

For me to even consider the allegations requires two things:

The belief that the 250K payout and the NDA were factually correct. Obviously it never happened if this entire thing was fabricated.
Some evidence that massages by flight attendants were a frequent occurrence on flights as claimed. If this is false then I have no reason to believe the large allegation.

Shotwell is in position to refute the first one with hard evidence, and with the second one I expect that she would have a good idea whether they were an occurrence.

Elon of today has a likability problem so the "Elon is a good guy" defense isn't going to work. In fact I doubt Elon could beat Amber Heard in a game of believability.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I kind of see how this might be reasonable. Diversity in hiring seems like the sort of thing that would fall under human resources generally. They could just be consolidating roles. Just playing devil's advocate on this one.

Reasonable is when you cut a lot of the fat. Things that would be nice to have for long term, but aren't an immediate necessary for survival. One of the good things that happens with recessions is people start to concentrate on the bottom line, and they stop worrying about all the nice things to have.

But, once again Elon pops up his head and goes "woke mind virus" so it won't be viewed as purely business survival decision. Instead its viewed as letting people go who Elon finds annoying. Like the SW Engineer who was promoted three times in 4 years who volunteered as a diversity and inclusion leader.

Firing a SW engineer while they continue to torture owners with bug ridden SW is not a good look.

• Funny
I am surprised that no one has yet commented on the latest D&I news from Tesla.

The likely explanation is that these people are more inclined to support WFH and resist the idea of return to office, that's why they're fired. The two examples in the article - one recruiter, one software engineer - have jobs that can be done from home, and they probably don't like the order to return to office.

What a load of BS. Twitter before Elon was the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media. Elon is trying to pry that open. Cleantechnica has it 100% backwards.

It's the usual playbook of the left. Demonize anyone who isn't in 100% agreement with your worldview, including the single most important person to actually do something about sustainable transport. Without Elon, there would be no EVs.
B.S.

Twitter is not and has never been “the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media.”

Social media is a huge construct of which Twitter is only one corner of.

Elon is doing great things for EV and sustainable energy while also supporting a party that denies the right for gay people to have equality, pushes a falsified version of the last election, blocks Tesla from selling in Texas, places roadblocks to voting, and is the home of climate change denial in the US.

There, I was able to say nice things about Elon even though he isn’t 100% in agreement with my worldview.

Status
Not open for further replies.