Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In defense of that (while on fence myself), I did read that founding CEO's are generally great at starting companies, not so great at running them.

Best of both worlds could be that Elon runs "all things new and cutting edge or otherwise first principles" in Tesla and someone else runs "day-to-day operations, quality control, public perception, etc.". It is important to have someone as ambitious as Elon in the sence of cutting edge technology to keep up the startup mentality and 10x investment gains. Not many people envision (and put money where their mouth is) Neuralink or Reusable Rockets or Pure Vision FSD or Humanoid robots which can have conversations like LaMDA.

Best of both worlds could be that Elon runs "all things new and cutting edge or otherwise first principles" in Tesla and someone else runs "day-to-day operations, quality control, public perception, etc.". It is important to have someone as ambitious as Elon in the sence of cutting edge technology to keep up the startup mentality and 10x investment gains. Not many people envision (and put money where their mouth is) Neuralink or Reusable Rockets or Pure Vision FSD or Humanoid robots which can have conversations like LaMDA.
Agree.
The challenge is for the mad scientists CEO to know when to let the division CEO run the business, and when to order him to do something differet.

IMHO Elon is pretty good at doing this, with just occasional head scratching action.

To get back on topic. Here is the latest lack of forethought and planning from Elon

1656518465874.png

Usual caveats apply - anyone can post anything on the Internet / doesn't make it true, etc. Posted on Reddit.

Also seems dangerously close to labor law violations (unclear if Elon cares, though) with regards to those who are/were sick, pregnant, etc.

It's also just one person's perspective/opinion, especially at the end. I don't expect things to go quite as badly as they predict.

Also seems dangerously close to labor law violations (unclear if Elon cares, though) with regards to those who are/were sick, pregnant, etc.
How so? It clearly says they need to let management / HR know why (standard process). The 16 day record pull from security accesses either didn't get integrated with the vacation calendar, or tracking PTO is lacking.

Here’s the truth. Elon Musk is now a danger to himself, his companies, and the hundreds of thousands of supporters who have made him the wealthiest person in human history. In the past few weeks, he has become more and more unhinged. It all began to unravel when Elon the Magnificent decided he and he alone should be the sole arbiter of what people could and could not say on social media.
Elon is a flatulent windbag jonesing on any sliver of limelight he can garner. He can't leave well enough alone, and aside from sabotaging himself, he's sabotaging Tesla, Space X, and all of his investors.

Last edited:
I think one interesting fact is Ford had the class action lawsuit on the Ford Fusion Hybrid lying about MPG, Elon seems to have got away with absolute BS on Range on every model, he also seems to be able to sell a 12k piece of software which doesn't seem to work very well.
I could imagine what would happen to Microsoft if its latest Windows cost 12k and worked about 50%. Lawsuit anyone. :)

His stance is even more shocking considering he has a trans child.
He wants humans to be multi-planetary but his child to still live like its the Middle Ages.

This whole “population collapse“ when the birth rate is > 2 is such BS - I’m beginning to wonder whether he is adopting one more alt-right idea of “white genocide“. He is only concerned about birth rates among whites not all of humanity. There are a billion malnutritioned children in the world, but Elon wants “rich“ people to have more kids.

Usual caveats apply - anyone can post anything on the Internet / doesn't make it true, etc. Posted on Reddit.

It's also just one person's perspective/opinion, especially at the end. I don't expect things to go quite as badly as they predict.

That was a strange post - he is hating on the headcount move and worried at the same time? If it is an employee, he is already decided and can't be both.

My guess is Elon simply wants the entitled ones out.

He wants humans to be multi-planetary but his child to still live like its the Middle Ages.

This whole “population collapse“ when the birth rate is > 2 is such BS - I’m beginning to wonder whether he is adopting one more alt-right idea of “white genocide“. He is only concerned about birth rates among whites not all of humanity. There are a billion malnutritioned children in the world, but Elon wants “rich“ people to have more kids.

There are some people who believe that only the dumb people are having kids and smart people should have as many kids as possible. I've seen some guys in Mensa who tout this, basically as an excuse to sleep with as many women as possible. I've seen where Elon has said smart people should have lots of children.

I was thinking last night that the historical figure that Elon reminds me of is Jack Parsons who founded JPL. He was a brilliant pioneer in rocketry, but he was also so squirrelly that he was sidelined from JPL. The specific things he was into was different from Elon, but he was screwy.
Jack Parsons - Wikipedia

So in your book Chinese and Japanese are whites, got it...

Elon is making a rookie mistake and assuming a straight line from now. If you look at the population charts for various countries you will see all sorts of variations year to year in the number of people. Just because the birthrate is very low now doesn't mean it will be in 10 years.

Japan can afford to shed some population. I believe it's the most densely populated archipelago on Earth. If it isn't #1, it' close.

When populations shrink, it's rough economically while the shrinking is going on, but over the long haul the country or region does much better. When the population is large, there is more population for jobs and pay is low. With low pay, people on the bottom of the ladder can't make enough to get any skills and move up the ladder.

The population can stratify into a static system with the people on the top having no incentive to do anything but rake in money and the people at the bottom stuck in poverty. The idiots get rewarded for just being born into the right family and the people with the potential to do something great never get the opportunity to get off the first wrung.

A meritocracy is more likely when there is a labor shortage. The people on the bottom who are motivated can work harder and make more money. If they can't get a better education, their children can.

That is what made the US the land of opportunity. Virtually all my ancestors were poor in their home countries and came here. Their children all did much better than they could have back home. There were barriers for some, but in many cases they still did better than back home. The people who did emigrate were often the more ambitious and they were going to a country with a perpetual labor shortage in the 19th and early 20th century.

I grew up in an emigrant community and saw the same dynamic playing out with Hispanic and East Asian children at my schools. My partner's father came to the US in 1931 as a child. His generation lived by modest means, but quite a few of their children have professional degrees. My partner and a handful of her cousins competed for who had the best education in the family.

There are no underpopulated frontiers for the ambitious to go today, but population decline will offer the same opportunities that the opening of North America offered. After the Black Death labor suddenly became a rare commodity in Europe and after 1000 years of economic stagnation, the continent exploded with new ideas and technology. Part of it was a shift in attitude among the survivors, but the new labor shortage gave an opening to the ambitious commoners to move up the economic ladder and they did turning Europe into the richest continent on Earth. There were downsides to that, the remaining indigenous peoples of several continents can attest, but it did propel the world into the modern age.

Status
Not open for further replies.