Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A distinction without a difference:
3. You're also ignoring what Gen. Milley - who is Biden's Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - said, in public, that total victory for Ukraine is a low probability, and it's better for them to negotiate now that they're in a position of strength, which is word for word what Musk said back in October.

I believe tne consensus is to arm Ukraine to the teeth and keep/improve the position of strength, while avoiding to escalate the war.

Let's stay on topic and continue Ukraine discussion there.

But Musk bad for suggesting negotiation with Putin, meanwhile Biden administration is doing exactly the same thing:

It is illegal under US law for a private citizen to conduct foreign policy while it is one of the jobs of the US government to conduct foreign policy.

You're also ignoring what Gen. Milley - who is Biden's Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - said, in public, that total victory for Ukraine is a low probability, and it's better for them to negotiate now that they're in a position of strength, which is word for word what Musk said back in October.
No it's not. Milley said victory unlikely in the short term and didn't say Ukraine should negotiate just that it was a possibility. He also didn't say anything about redoing elections, the future neutrality of Ukraine or water rights. However the main point you keep missing is Elon never should have injected himself into the discussion.

It is illegal under US law for a private citizen to conduct foreign policy while it is one of the jobs of the US government to conduct foreign policy.
So conducting a poll, wanting peace, making suggestions, or having an opinion is considered conducting foreign policy? Got it. And I guess that’s why everyone lined up and sorted things out after his tweet?

So conducting a poll, wanting peace, making suggestions, or having an opinion is considered conducting foreign policy? Got it. And I guess that’s why everyone lined up and sorted things out after his tweet?
When you're the guy providing a critical weapon of war to the side you're making "suggestions" to, yeah that's crossing the line. When you are in a position of power like that, you STFU and stay far away from even the appearance of having an opinion. But you, you are irrelevant and can therefore express whatever opinion you like.

It's pretty much the same as when you are somebody's boss you have to be much more careful about what you say to them than if you have no professional relationship.

When you're the guy providing a critical weapon of war to the side you're making "suggestions" to, yeah that's crossing the line. When you are in a position of power like that, you STFU and stay far away from even the appearance of having an opinion. But you, you are irrelevant and can therefore express whatever opinion you like.

It's pretty much the same as when you are somebody's boss you have to be much more careful about what you say to them than if you have no professional relationship.
Think your cat might be right…

Reactions: ElectricIAC

He also talked to Putin. He claims the only time they talked was before the war and it was about something else. But there are rumors they spoke just before he made that tweet. Talking to a world leader and then doing something that could affect public opinion like conveying that leader's ideas to social media is a form of conducting foreign policy. At minimum it's acting as an agent of a foreign power, which is not illegal, but doing so without registering as a foreign agent is.

If he was conveying something the Russians wanted out there, whether it came directly from Putin or from another Russian source, that's acting as their agent. It's possible that he did it on his own, but the bullet point list was very close to the list of demands Russia had at that time.

1669639800931.png

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Despite Elon's antics (and if you search my post history, I have been critical of his antics for quite some time), I think Tesla still makes the best EVs around and are #1 choice. And because of the Supercharger network, it's the only EV to buy if you plan on road tripping, because all the EV charging networks are totally incompetent.

But other manufactures are making some decent EVs, and they may be good enough for a lot of people. I think there's two things that would get me to seriously consider another EV at this point:
1. Tesla opens up Supercharger network to all EVs (this appears to be coming, probably in 2023)
2. Enough of the other charging networks gets their crap together well enough to provide a charging experience you can rely on.

As far as what to with with TSLA, I think selling at this point if you are long is probably a bad idea, even though I think there is still significant downside risk in the next 12-18 months.

Long term, I think Tesla's vision is excellent and the company has excellent financials. But Elon's antics are a huge distraction and present a huge overhang on the stock. Historically, investors have looked past Elon's antics, but we appear to have reached a tipping point as there are many investors now backing away.

TSLA would be far better off by letting their products speak for themselves, instead of letting Elon speak for the product.

The question is - will anything change to make that happen?

Hindsight being 20-20, I believe that I really should have seen this overhang coming due to Elon's antics. There's a clear trendline there.

The usual suspects will disagree with this - but they are so blinded by Elon's aura they believe he can do no wrong - and even when he does, excuse it.
clear, accurate and elegant summation of the entire Tesla situation. thanks!

I have been saying this for several months since I saw a change in his behavior.
That ship set sail after the pedo remarks years ago, this continues to affirm my decision of hating his antics and like many others looking to actively dump my car when what i want becomes available

It's a giant lead weight, and self inflicted lead weight

First
First Principle
Do not loose your S*it

Elon needs to return to first principles (and also needs a lesson on responsible gun ownership).
Yes to both. Though we need to note it’s a toy gun for gaming, the photo is clearly aimed at trolling gun control types and appealing to the opposite. The flintlock and the Washington crossing the Delaware print also are aimed at having the same effect on the same people.
It’s kind of pathetic. The faux patriotic vagueness reminds of that photo of his handgun the oh-so-macho Jeb Bush tweeted with simply the word “America” while campaigning.
The only real difference is Elon can mock anyone who’s offended by noting its a fake gun. Having it both ways.
The buddhist item was added to suggest some sort of above-it-all wisdom so it was somehow more thoughtful that just a couple semi-fake guns and a print from the founding of a country he wasn’t born in.
Dude, please go back to working on Tesla’s service issues, 4680s and getting the CT and model 2 going.

Yep. Dude’s all paranoid that covid tests might not be as they appear.

Wait until he finds out what Diet Coke is made of…
He’s right on the edge of becoming an anti-vaxer with the moves this week to allow posting of covid misinformation and disinformation. Not what I expected from someone who built a reputation around using hard data, facts and principles. It’s like he caught some virus from Kanye.

He’s right on the edge of becoming an anti-vaxer with the moves this week to allow posting of covid misinformation and disinformation. Not what I expected from someone who built a reputation around using hard data, facts and principles. It’s like he caught some virus from Kanye.
Did you forget his covid denialism early on? Covid seemed like the beginning of his disconnect from first principles and when I first started being concerned with his thought process. Things have only gotten worse since then.

Brave Chinese protesting covid restrictions on work and life, risking theirs lives.
Meanwhile, the guy who was so quick to jump to the aid of the Canadian “trucker” protests and to criticize lowly state and county officials in California? For much milder restrictions….is suddenly quiet. Even with a huge megaphone now in his hand.
Cat’s got his tongue on dictators.
Easy to take potshots at Democratic governments though. Brave, too!

Brave Chinese protesting covid restrictions on work and life, risking theirs lives.
Meanwhile, the guy who was so quick to jump to the aid of the Canadian “trucker” protests and to criticize lowly state and county officials in California? For much milder restrictions….is suddenly quiet. Even with a huge megaphone now in his hand.
Cat’s got his tongue on dictators.
Easy to take potshots at Democratic governments though. Brave, too!
This isn’t fair, he’s willing to give the CCP advice on what they should do to Taiwan. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.