TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon MuskBattery-poweredTranscontinentalAirplanesBecomesCompelling at 400 wH per kg

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by MitchJi, Sep 26, 2015.

1. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

#1 MitchJi, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Hi,

I am not sure if this is the best location for this, I was not aware of the statement, or the video.

google this statement for more information:
    "Elon Musk, the concept of battery-powered transcontinental airplanes becomes “compelling” once batteries hit 400 watt-hours per kilogram"

Next Big Future: Bosch claims they will commercialize 400 watt hour per kilogram solid state batteries at half the price of todays batteries by 2020

What commercial aircraft will look like in 2050

2. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

#2 ScepticMatt, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I already talked about the Seeo battery in the BEV competition thread, but here is the gist of it:

* 300-400 Wh/kg is their 2020 paper-target, not a reality.
    * They have severe power density issues. Their current Cells have to operate at 80° C,
    which is why they scrapped them and started developing another chemistry instead.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94427&d=1442423544.jpg
    Bosch’s Acquisition of Seeo Marks the Start of a Buying Spree of Next-Generation Battery Technology | Lux Research

3. MitchJi

MitchJi Active Member

Hi Matt,

The only reason I included the Seeo information for this quote:

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Considering the big amount of CO2 emissions of normal airplanes it's very important to start producing electric planes as soon as possible. Nice to see that Elon's committment to this aspect of transportation.

5. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

In this video Elon looks very tired

6. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    That video was Elon's best interview ever. I watched it many times. The full version is below. I think Elon is more impressive when he talks to smart people. It was amazing how quickly he found the flaw in the hyperloop prototype the student had built. I also liked his interaction at the end with the student who reads comic books. I think it was super cool of Elon to ask the student a question. Sometimes people say Elon is awkward in interviews but this was maybe the best interview I have ever watched by anyone.

7. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

Alright. I see Tesla on a good path to 400 Wh/kg by increasing the amount of silicon in the anode.
    Solid electrolytes have to solve their power density issues.
    If they solve it their main benefit is volumetric energy density rather than gravimetric.

As for Lithium-Sulfur or Lithium-Air, they have a very light anode. But both have has a unpractically low volumetric energy density.
    It is not guaranteed that they will be competitive with Li-Ion batteries this decade or the next.