Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk's 3-Biggest Powerwall Whoppers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There truly is a huge range in home energy consumption.
I went on a (for me) energy conservation OCD extravaganza in our two person, 3000 Sft home in Albuquerque, NM over a couple of years and brought down energy use to 3 - 4 kWh a day for 10 months of the year but no more than 200 kWh in any month. This however required switching domestic hot water to NGas and I do not charge an EV.

Perusal of off-grid forums is always informative. Those folks typically make do with 50 - 100 kWh a month electric and an unknown amount of generator use.

New construction that takes advantage of PassivHaus methods, heat pumps and system integration (particularly of the hot water with a reserve tank) are just not that far away from being grid-independent in conjunction with about 20 kWh of battery storage.

Summer usage for me is about 75kWh per day and 36kWh in winter
Not exactly a mansion at 2400 sq ft either.
I'm in a 2500 sq ft house in the South Bay portion of the Bay Area, where it gets a LOT hotter than say SF...

In the last 12 months, my highest monthly usage was 476 kWh or about 15.87 kWh/day, which was in a December thru January billing period. My lowest was 315 kWh/month or ~10.5 kWh/day. From looking at billing periods for me that spanned from mid-May thru mid-Sep 2014, my highest in a month was 395 kWh or ~13.2 kWh/day.

I have nat gas furnace and water heater. Dryer is electric only. I have no central AC, only a portable AC unit that I only sometimes use when it's real hot.

My EV (Leaf) is hardly ever charged at home, only sometimes on weekends. I have no PV nor any generator.

Even 36 kWh/day on PG&E (aka Pacific Gouge & Extort) means one would pay thru the nose here, given the low baselines we get and crazy tiered rates here. 75 kWh/day would be really crazy here.