Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk's reaction to Clooney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon was asked about it in this interview (between 9:56 – 11:15):

DealB%k | With Founder Andrew Ross Sorkin | Elon Musk’s Next Blue-Sky Idea
Misrepresenting fire risk. He's being "extremely misleading" about fire risk. Comparing small number of brand new Teslas to all gas cars averaging 15 years old where 96% of fires do NOT occur as a result of a collision.

Hard to find any better car than Model S for fire risk? How about a Nissan LEAF. Zero fires. Or a Chevy Volt. Zero fires other than weeks after a crash test.

The earnings call. Him purposely trying to lower the stock price. I really appreciate that effort as a stock holder. Silly me.

Didn't sound that bad about Clooney. He didn't try to defend Tesla, only said it was an old comment from 5 years ago.

It was meant to be funny, which it was, while making the point that Clooney's thoughts on the matter (and presumably on any matter) are irrelevant. :D

Musk, it would seem, is pretty unique in that he says whatever he wants, and appears to be honest as well without any regard for PR or marketing nonsense. And that's a great thing, IMO. Where else can you find that in the business world? That's right, nowhere. But clearly this is the type of person he is - he does what he wants. For example, while the world babbled on for 50 years about a "chicken and egg" problem between EV's and charging infrastructure, he just goes ahead himself and in a few years, builds them. Both.

Clooney: dammit Tesla I'm stranded again in my Roadster

Tesla CS: we're very sorry for your inconvenience Mr. Clooney we will send someone out immediately to determine the problem

Clooney: they just got here, wow that was fast

Tesla Tech: It looks like everything is working but the battery is fully depleted and your charging port smells like gasoline, when was the last time you plugged it in?

Clooney: plugged it in? I just filled it with unleaded like ten minutes ago!

George Clooney is a loser and has not contributed one iota to the betterment of mankind. Don't waste your breath on him...and don't go to his movies, either!

In his defense, didn't he fund a program that launched a satellite to help the Sudanese people by documenting and attempting to prevent genocide in the region. That's actually quite a remarkable contribution.

If I didn't think some are actually serious about nitpicking everything that comes out of Elon Musk's mouth (or keyboard), I'd actually think it was meant as a joke. The reality is people just aren't happy unless they're beating down on someone else. If Elon Musk says nothing then there's the crowd that complains because he said nothing. If he makes a canned PR statement then there's the crowd that complains it's a canned PR statement and just meant for PR sake. And if, heaven forbid, he just says whatever is on his mind in a straight forward, honest, and often times, really humerous manner then there's the crowd that complains because he was straight forward, honest and funny.

I actually expected Elon Musk to tweet something. It's entirely in his nature to strike back when someone takes an UNWARRANTED shot at his company/product. Mr. Clooney could have gotten away with saying something negative about his Roadster/experience with his Roadster had he not made an unfair comment. "Yes, I owned a Roadster. I was one of the first cats to get one. It had a few issues and I found myself stranded on the side of the road a time or two, but darn it all, that car could smoke. It certainly wasn't a golf cart."

In his defense, didn't he fund a program that launched a satellite to help the Sudanese people by documenting and attempting to prevent genocide in the region. That's actually quite a remarkable contribution.
Yes.

George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir

The Huffington Post | By Kia Makarechi

Posted: 07/31/2013 9:40 am EDT | Updated: 08/01/2013 2:58 pm EDT

/…/

Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair.

/…

Source: The Huffington Post | George Clooney Spends Nespresso Paycheck On Spy Satellite To Keep Tabs On Omar Al-Bashir
And he did buy one of the first Roadsters…

Personally I think it would be kind of cool if he publicly announced that he had just ordered a Model S. And that actually doesn’t feel like it’s completely out of the realm of what’s possible. Ben Affleck owns one. And I think Matt Damon kept his Roadster. And I also think the three know each other…

Or then again – maybe he’s just a really hardcore Tango fan… :rolleyes:

Clooney_Tango.jpg