TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk's reaction to Clooney

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by tray loader, Nov 14, 2013.

1. tray loader

tray loader Member

What Elon did today may signal the beginning of the end in the public perception of TESLA.
    You cannot react like this.
    This will be backfiring harder as the fires.

What, my god, what drives this man.....

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

3. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Exactly. Are you saying that his lack of reaction is a big problem, or has he made a recent statement that I'm not aware of that is giving you displeasure? If it is the latter, a link to the response would be most welcome.

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Question.... why would Mr. Clooney come out now about his former Roadster that was donated to charity???? Please explain someone. Thank you.

5. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#5 SwedishAdvocate, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. dm33

dm33 Member

Misrepresenting fire risk. He's being "extremely misleading" about fire risk. Comparing small number of brand new Teslas to all gas cars averaging 15 years old where 96% of fires do NOT occur as a result of a collision.

Hard to find any better car than Model S for fire risk? How about a Nissan LEAF. Zero fires. Or a Chevy Volt. Zero fires other than weeks after a crash test.

The earnings call. Him purposely trying to lower the stock price. I really appreciate that effort as a stock holder. Silly me.

Didn't sound that bad about Clooney. He didn't try to defend Tesla, only said it was an old comment from 5 years ago.

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

#7 markb1, Nov 14, 2013
    Elon said this on twitter:

Twitter / elonmusk: In other news, George Clooney ...

Kind of funny. It doesn't seem like a big deal.

Edit: Guess I should read the links. This tweet was quoted in the first article.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#8 stopcrazypp, Nov 14, 2013
    It's kind of snarky, but I don't see it as a huge deal either.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

not a big deal. have some humor and get over it.

10. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Elon's response is actually pretty funny. As for the OP, did you short at the wrong time again?

11. Beckler

Beckler Member

It was meant to be funny, which it was, while making the point that Clooney's thoughts on the matter (and presumably on any matter) are irrelevant. :D

Musk, it would seem, is pretty unique in that he says whatever he wants, and appears to be honest as well without any regard for PR or marketing nonsense. And that's a great thing, IMO. Where else can you find that in the business world? That's right, nowhere. But clearly this is the type of person he is - he does what he wants. For example, while the world babbled on for 50 years about a "chicken and egg" problem between EV's and charging infrastructure, he just goes ahead himself and in a few years, builds them. Both.

12. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

Well it wasn't a very smart PR move. If I were him I would send out a Model S just to show how far the company has progressed.

13. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

George Clooney is a loser and has not contributed one iota to the betterment of mankind. Don't waste your breath on him...and don't go to his movies, either!

14. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Clooney: dammit Tesla I'm stranded again in my Roadster

Tesla CS: we're very sorry for your inconvenience Mr. Clooney we will send someone out immediately to determine the problem

Clooney: they just got here, wow that was fast

Tesla Tech: It looks like everything is working but the battery is fully depleted and your charging port smells like gasoline, when was the last time you plugged it in?

Clooney: plugged it in? I just filled it with unleaded like ten minutes ago!

15. clmason

clmason Member

In his defense, didn't he fund a program that launched a satellite to help the Sudanese people by documenting and attempting to prevent genocide in the region. That's actually quite a remarkable contribution.

16. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

If I didn't think some are actually serious about nitpicking everything that comes out of Elon Musk's mouth (or keyboard), I'd actually think it was meant as a joke. The reality is people just aren't happy unless they're beating down on someone else. If Elon Musk says nothing then there's the crowd that complains because he said nothing. If he makes a canned PR statement then there's the crowd that complains it's a canned PR statement and just meant for PR sake. And if, heaven forbid, he just says whatever is on his mind in a straight forward, honest, and often times, really humerous manner then there's the crowd that complains because he was straight forward, honest and funny.

I actually expected Elon Musk to tweet something. It's entirely in his nature to strike back when someone takes an UNWARRANTED shot at his company/product. Mr. Clooney could have gotten away with saying something negative about his Roadster/experience with his Roadster had he not made an unfair comment. "Yes, I owned a Roadster. I was one of the first cats to get one. It had a few issues and I found myself stranded on the side of the road a time or two, but darn it all, that car could smoke. It certainly wasn't a golf cart."

17. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Yes.

And he did buy one of the first Roadsters…

Personally I think it would be kind of cool if he publicly announced that he had just ordered a Model S. And that actually doesn’t feel like it’s completely out of the realm of what’s possible. Ben Affleck owns one. And I think Matt Damon kept his Roadster. And I also think the three know each other…

Or then again – maybe he’s just a really hardcore Tango fan… :rolleyes:

Clooney_Tango.jpg

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon: "In other news, George Clooney reports that his iPhone 1 had a bug back in '07"

I love it! That is hilarious. Thank you Elon.

19. HVM

HVM Savolainen

#19 HVM, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Meh...

Real Elon Musk is ten times funnier than the fake "Bored" one ;P

"Ariane 5 has no chance" (Arianespace: 0.o)

"NYT car review was FAKE" ("You can NOT to say that")

20. huntjo

huntjo Member

funny and not an inappropriate response