Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon musk's reactions towards BMW and Toyota.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The primary competition to Tesla is in the future, in the 40kWh market. Or in other words the 150-200 mile BEV market. The idea of Model III sounds good but it will be very hard to truly make money on it since the goal is lower priced sustainable transportation. At the same time, more auto makers are going "upscale" to build more longer range BEVs and EREVs. Going to be fun to see how it all turns out. More competition is better and Tesla at least made EVs interesting. nissan and others must follow the lead. Otherwise, EVs may not take hold as a mass market vehicle.

to make a $40k car profitable using the same robots and logistical equipment in place now, the market has to want to pay a premium over the competition. That means maybe somewhat expensive and cool add on options like the MS has to grow profits. I don't see a 25% gross margin on Model IIi but more like 18% and on a dollar figure basis, that is slightly more than half the gross margin revenue from one MS85. Meaning, must sell twice the cars to make the same gross profit. More labor and logistics needed to handle twice the cars and economics of scale suffer a little. More service centers are needed, more superchargers. If the aim is to sell to the BMW 3-series buyer, that is still not the common auto buyer who is out looking at $25k cars. It is the upper middle class buyer making over $100K a year and has multiple cars in the family.

The one goal that has been reached already that I see as being good. That is Tesla getting all automakers to make EVs as a viable future choice for their companies. Except Fiat/Chrysler who complain about the Fiat 500 EV costing them money for each one sold.

Last edited:
It's the way they laugh at BMW that doesn't sit right with many BMW owners I know. He doesn't just laugh, this isn't the first time Tesla attacks BMW or another brand or person in a way that makes others raise eyebrowns.

I don't think it's fitting for a company and it's offputting. I was a big fan of Tesla, but I have no idea why they can't be respectful to other brands.

View attachment 54830

- - - Updated - - -

Same, which is why I don't understand why they can't show some more respect.

Elon Musk said that the main goal of Tesla was to promote green cars, if he's being sincere, then why resort to inflammatory statements about other EV and hydrogen.

For many, maybe that's what Tesla is about, disruptive and inflammatory, to me it's offputting.

If you truly saw the whole interview, and not the snippets that other media show to make it look like something that it isn't, than I don't understand why you would think Elon is ridiculing. The i3 is nothing close to the same product, except that it's an EV. Maybe you're too sensitive.

It's the way they laugh at BMW that doesn't sit right with many BMW owners I know.
He laughs pretty much exactly the way I do... Because quite simply? The BMW i3 and i8 are both laughable vehicles.

The BMW i3 concept car was actually rather awesome looking. The mostly glass sides were absolutely revolutionary and gave it an awesome futuristic stance. The closed up production car is stodgy, even dumpy looking in comparison. It's actual range, even with the 'range extender' is only half what BMW originally projected. As an EV, it isn't as capable as a Fiat 500e. As a hybrid, it isn't as capable as a Toyota Prius. What's not to laugh at? Here, take a look:

Compare Side-by-Side -- BMW i3, Fiat 500e, Ford Focus Electric, Tesla Model S 60

Also for the record:

Compare Side-bySide -- BMW i3 REX, Toyota Prius, Chevrolet Volt, Ford Fusion Energi

The BMW i8 costs over three times as much, but has less than 1/3rd the battery capacity of the i3 (22 kWh). In what world does that make any sense whatsoever? If the BMW i8 had 66 kWH of battery capacity, instead of only 7.1 kWh, it wouldn't need the turbocharged ICE at all, would probably weigh the same, have better performance, would exceed 200 miles range, and might even cost a little less.

He doesn't just laugh, this isn't the first time Tesla attacks BMW or another brand or person in a way that makes others raise eyebrowns.
I don't think he 'attacked' BMW at all. Various reporters have asked him his opinion about either the BMW i3 or i8. He gave his honest opinion.

I don't think it's fitting for a company and it's offputting.
An old Friend of mine, a fan of General Motors, feels the same way about Elon Musk. So he complains about how Elon spoke about the Chevrolet Volt. Once again, all he did was give his honest opinion. It just happens to be an opinion I share.

I was a big fan of Tesla, but I have no idea why they can't be respectful to other brands.
Elon Musk is very respectful of them, and has said so. His respect for them is the basis for his criticism. He believes, or at least until June 2014 he believed, that they could do better. I think he has finally realized the truth -- it isn't just that they don't want to do better with electric vehicles, they don't know how to do better.

Same, which is why I don't understand why they can't show some more respect.
I'm a person who tends to have very little respect for 'Authority Figures'. That has come from too many years of watching people demand respect, while expecting others to earn it from them. Here's the thing... Both tactics are incorrect. Respect is something that is given of one's own free will. Elon has given his respect to traditional automakers, and they have all spit in his eye.

Elon Musk said that the main goal of Tesla was to promote green cars, if he's being sincere, then why resort to inflammatory statements about other EV and hydrogen.
You say this as if no one, anywhere, in any of those companies, has ever said a cross word about Tesla Motors. The fact of the matter is that often when Elon Musk is interviewed, it is in response to what someone else said about his company. He goes on the record to state the truth and set things straight, with facts to back them up. I believe that anyone who does not want to be corrected in public, should make a better effort to not say things that can be readily proved incorrect -- in public.

For many, maybe that's what Tesla is about, disruptive and inflammatory, to me it's offputting.
And this reminds me why I have a problem with 'Authority Figures'. They have pride in things they have nothing to do with, or that are at best also-ran concepts. When they are not declared the 'winner' because someone else did a better job, they complain. I don't mind losing. I always learn from the experience. That allows me to improve. I do have a problem with being told I'm not allowed to win, no matter how well I do. That is not fair.

Last edited: