Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: No Discounts !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually ok with this. Their rational earlier in the year was to give the discount so that customers could allocate those funds ($1200) to their home charging solution, which seems like a genuine way to give a little extra "thank you".
No thank you for me though? I even asked.. great do it. Not not ok with this. Ok with unpredictably of it. Just like the deprecation on these cars.

I'll take a minute to breathe though. I enjoy the car more than I ever imagined. It's awesome. I'm just talking about ethical business practices or even just transparent ones.

Reactions: davidc18
Once 2.0 hits those inventory cars will be even harder to move. They are still 80-100k cars. People who buy cars like that are not that price sensative. It's just an exactly similar car for cheaper. They didn't get to be able to buy said car making bad decisions.

Once 2.0 comes out though... why would someone go inventory? Delivery times even for an X are down to 2-3 weeks sometimes. Deep Discounts are only way. Might as well do in q3 and get those stats.

Hope it's not harder to sell my sept 27 delivery that I paid full price... oh wait.

I actually appreciate and love a good hustle. That tweet doe. Come one EM. If he tweeted, "haha got you - 2.0 comes out tomorrow" I would have respected that more.
We are all going to take a hit when AP 2.0 comes out though, not just inventory cars. The only way to avoid this is to allow a reasonably priced retrofit to become available.

No thank you for me though? I even asked.. great do it. Not not ok with this. Ok with unpredictably of it. Just like the deprecation on these cars.

I'll take a minute to breathe though. I enjoy the car more than I ever imagined. It's awesome. I'm just talking about ethical business practices or even just transparent ones.
I missed out on it too, by 1 month. In fact, I always miss out. Missed out on AP on first Tesla by 2 weeks. On the second Tesla, missed out of destination discount by 1 month one way, and the refresh by 1 month the other way. Like you, I still enjoy the car though. Wouldn't buy or drive anything else.

That won't be pretty. It's a real problem for Tesla on their leases too. The lease residual that were already heavily subsidized, are now worth 10K less.
BUT they got a $7500 check from the gov on all those leases. Helps a lot. And 60d lease turn ins, non AP, any other ota updates just get a flipped switch and are now worth more. Tesla will be ok. Uninformed owners paying full price... well.

We are all going to take a hit when AP 2.0 comes out though, not just inventory cars. The only way to avoid this is to allow a reasonably priced retrofit to become available.
BUT inventory cars got a discount. That's the point. Like traditional ICE manufactures it's like when they discount 16s on lot Bc prerelease 17 features or updated design are known and consumer can decide. New new or discount

The party is officially over ... :cool:

Elon Musk says ‘likely best quarter in Tesla history’, puts a stop to discounts on new cars

discount-musk-letter-jpg.196727

• Love
Reactions: ModelX
Interesting. I was seeing reports of people getting very low mile inventory 75s (which I consider "new" since the federal tax credit is still valid on them) for very close to the same price as a 60. Some folks were getting "showroom" discounts on cars coming straight from Fremont. I even made a comment that I guess you DO have to try and haggle when buying a Tesla now since obviously some people were getting better prices than others.

Here was an example:
This has been the most stressful buying experience ever! Original delivery date was this Friday but I found an inventory 75kwh that hadn't been delivered yet. Tesla upgraded me free of charge from my 60kwh. • /r/teslamotors

"Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative, but this whole buying experience for me has been incredibly stressful. Everyday it seems to be that there is some new deal that you could miss out on. I thought I had it good when they waived destination and doc and threw in referral credit. Now I saved nearly $18k off of the list price on an inventory car which has never been driven or sat in. Also, They told me that the plastic is still on the hood from the factory. So it's a brand new inventory car that no butt has ever sat in for the same cost. Original car was S60 with tan leather, obeche wood, panoramic roof and autopilot. The inventory car was identical except they unlocked the range upgrade to 75kwh."

Last edited:
I missed out on it too, by 1 month. In fact, I always miss out. Missed out on AP on first Tesla by 2 weeks. On the second Tesla, missed out of destination discount by 1 month one way, and the refresh by 1 month the other way. Like you, I still enjoy the car though. Wouldn't buy or drive anything else.

Wow, that is bad luck. Please let me know when you plan your next one, since then I can plan to buy the month later to get the new features... ;)

Inventory cars are "used" vehicles, they are not new. They have been driven many times by many different people on test drives, kids have climbed in and out of them, and they have miles on the odometer. Essentially they are new cars that have been "driven off the lot", and it has always been true that once that happens the car is no longer "brand new" and depreciation is incurred.

(Also @drinkerofkoolaid) Here are some examples of brand new cars sold at heavy discounts:

saved $5,000 ... I got a showroom discount on a car that hadn't even left Fremont yet.

The original cost was $92,200 and I'm buying it for $82,500. ... My OA verified that it had the standard 50 miles on it and had never been driven - it was brand new.

Yeah, they assured me the car is a new inventory car <50 miles that nobody has driven. They took 7000 off the price of the car and said it's now the same price as the 60. Source

Just pulled the trigger as well, ... Normally would be $88,200. After the $7,600 adjustment and waiver of doc and transport fees, it came to $78,400!. ... but mine was an "inventory" car listed with 50 miles. The sales rep said that it was actually brand new, never been driven.

In THIS shareholder letter (look at the bullet points on top) Tesla said they will deliver 80,000-90,000 cars in 2016. They delivered 29,212 in Q1+Q2. Q3 will be announced in a few days. Let's assume 25K for Q3. That would mean they need another 25K in Q4.

Elon wants to make sure buyers won't hold off purchase decisions until the end of Q4, hoping for another firesale. That's why he tweeted about this instead handling the issue privately. It makes sense.

If somebody from Tesla is reading this (@JonMc), it might be a good idea to release the 100D versions of Model S & X soon. The gov.uk stats released this month included detailed registration numbers by trim level (source). The performance versions were only 9%, while non-performance, longest range versions were 65% of sales. If global sales are anything like that, there must be lots of buyers waiting for the 100D versions.

Last edited: