Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: No Discounts !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have no shame... Maybe better, "Price motion begs negotiation. Negotiation adds no value and actually subtracts value by increasing costs. We want our customers to buy without hesitation, or consideration of waiting for a sale. Price motion increases ambiguity, uncertainty and attenuates word of mouth promoter behaviors that we so strongly rely upon."

Nope, not better.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and Ulmo
Inventory cars are "used" vehicles, they are not new. They have been driven many times by many different people on test drives, kids hav climbed in and out of them, and they have miles on the odometer. Essentially they are new cars that have been "driven off the lot", and it has always been true that once that happens the car is no longer "brand new" and depreciation is incurred.

Reactions: liuping and Yuri_G
Inventory cars are "used" vehicles, they are not new. They have been driven many times by many different people on test drives, kids hav climbed in and out of them, and they have miles on the odometer. Essentially they are new cars that have been "driven off the lot", and it has always been true that once that happens the car is no longer "brand new" and depreciation is incurred.

At most dealerships, they are all inventory cars. Go to any other dealerships, request a test drive. You'll load up the kids into a brand "new car" that most closely meets your specs and put miles on it during a test drive. If each Tesla store had a dedicated "demo", there would have been minimal cars available for discount. Build to order demand at MSRP was not sufficient to meet the numbers needed in the third quarter.

So the "surprising" fire sale was the result. Pandora will be tough to put back in the box, next quarter will be the one to watch, to measure demand.

Some new cars got delivery and dest fees waived.

Here's the reddit thread that started this. Weird situation : teslamotors

BTW, I can easily believe Elon wasn't aware of the waiving of doc & dest fees. He's running three companies that are completely upending 2 major industries and he just blew up his buddy's $200 million satallite. He's amazingly minutia oriented but has a few other things on his mind.

Last edited:
Quite interesting tweet from Elon.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"If you can't explain to a customer who paid full price why another did not without getting embarrassed..."

Color me pissed.

2 days before quarter? Great. Q3 is done. Ap2.0 will push q4 demand. This tweet is shady at best.

Either Elon doesn't know about his company enough or he lying.

Not sure which is worse.

He is making people feel not bad for paying full price and saying it was a mistake that he did not know about?

Very disingenuous for Elon to behave this way. This is a guy that sleeps at the end of the production line. We are supposed to believe he does lot look at Tesla's website?

He doesn't even have to. Just 1 or 2 minions where that is their whole job. For a 30 billion dollar company I think that could be justified.

Unless he emailed everyone and said sell as many cars as possible this quarter and do whatever is neccessary. THEN at end of quarter adds but don't discount...

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
That's true, but a lot of those cars have/had less than 50 miles on the odometer. And yes, they have had sticky fingered kids climbing in and out. But a 10k discount.....?

Reactions: davidc18 and X Yes?
Although I want Tesla to succeed, and understand the motivations behind the discounting - I wish they had done something more transparent, like increasing the referral discount or reducing the destination fee for everyone. It would have felt more "fair" and been consistent with thier no haggle pricing.

I'm still happy that they did well this quarter and people got good deals. I just feel this quarter undermined thier "fixed" price model. It seemed like they were slowly slipping into a traditional auto sales model...

Here's the reddit thread that started this. Weird situation : teslamotors

BTW, I can easily believe Elon wasn't aware of the waiving of doc & dest fees. He's running three companies that are completely upending 2 major industries and he just blew up his buddy's $200 million satallite. He's amazingly minutia oriented but has a few other things on his mind.

It was way more than waived doc fees & dest fees. These cars were advertised on Tesla's website at up to 10K off, some with less than 50 miles.

Although I want Tesla to succeed, and understand the motivations behind the discounting - I wish they had done something more transparent, like increasing the referral discount or reducing the destination fee for everyone. It would have felt more "fair" and been consistent with thier no haggle pricing.

I'm still happy that they did well this quarter and people got good deals. I just feel this quarter undermined thier "fixed" price model. It seemed like they were slowly slipping into a traditional auto sales model...

I'd like to know what this does to resale values down the road when the Feb 2016 and Sept 2016 owners both go in to trade their cars in Feb 2017.

That's true, but a lot of those cars have/had less than 50 miles on the odometer. And yes, they have had sticky fingered kids climbing in and out. But a 10k discount.....?

Once 2.0 hits those inventory cars will be even harder to move. They are still 80-100k cars. People who buy cars like that are not that price sensative. It's just an exactly similar car for cheaper. They didn't get to be able to buy said car making bad decisions.

Once 2.0 comes out though... why would someone go inventory? Delivery times even for an X are down to 2-3 weeks sometimes. Deep Discounts are only way. Might as well do in q3 and get those stats.

Hope it's not harder to sell my sept 27 delivery that I paid full price... oh wait.

I actually appreciate and love a good hustle. That tweet doe. Come one EM. If he tweeted, "haha got you - 2.0 comes out tomorrow" I would have respected that more.

Eccentricity is a charming, business-driving trait. It fosters innovation. Arrogance, on the other hand, accomplishes none of this. As a retired Marine, I was not EXPECTING any type of discount, but I always ask nevertheless, just in case. The type of "no" I received in response was disrespectful and uncalled for. A simple "Sorry, Tesla doesn't offer military discounts" would have been sufficient.