Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon on CBS This Morning regarding Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the analysts motivation but don't see it there for the media's. Why write/broadcast the same old rehashed dribble and instead why not look for a new angle to report. You'd think 400,000+ interested people out there would want to hear something new.
Yeah, I agree. I think that most of the media is lazy and unimaginative. They focus on what is easy and miss the big story. AND, the consumer tends to want to believe the worst rather the best.

With regards to Tesla, I have confidence this too shall pass by the end of Q3/18. Tesla will be pumping cars out, Semi will be on the road in service, model Y and EVickup reveal will be out, and Tesla will show a small profit for the first time. I expect that car carriers will be hooked up to Tesla Semi tractors and Tesla will be in the new car delivery business.

Reactions: Mobius484
Yeah, I agree. I think that most of the media is lazy and unimaginative. They focus on what is easy and miss the big story. AND, the consumer tends to want to believe the worst rather the best.

With regards to Tesla, I have confidence this too shall pass by the end of Q3/18. Tesla will be pumping cars out, Semi will be on the road in service, model Y and EVickup reveal will be out, and Tesla will show a small profit for the first time. I expect that car carriers will be hooked up to Tesla Semi tractors and Tesla will be in the new car delivery business.

Facts are the facts. Tesla has some major hurdles to over come if it wants to continue. The car business is very tough and competitive everything Tesla is doing can easily be duplicated by other car manufacturers. They have nothing proprietary.

Facts are the facts. Tesla has some major hurdles to over come if it wants to continue. The car business is very tough and competitive everything Tesla is doing can easily be duplicated by other car manufacturers. They have nothing proprietary.
AND, the consumer tends to want to believe the worst rather the best.
:D Thank you for making my point.

The reality is, "other car manufacturers" aren't doing it and won't be doing it for several years, even if they want to.

Last edited:

How much capital would "other car manufacturers" have to abandon in order to duplicate Tesla? And how much new capital would they have to invest?

Reactions: LBusDoor90
How much capital would "other car manufacturers" have to abandon in order to duplicate Tesla? And how much new capital would they have to invest?

Jaguar just did the model Y before Tesla with the I-pace. They are having Magna build it for them. The only thing missing is a charging network that may be the works with a group of automakers sharing the cost. Who knows, the Tesla charging network could be up for grabs if Tesla has financing troubles. Maybe Tesla has a partner buy into it for a cash injection to keep the doors open? Things change very quickly in the auto industry.

I still doubt there is enough demand for 350,000-500,000 model 3's per year if Tesla gets production that high. If they do the Tesla charging network will be so over used it will be useless for anyone.

Jaguar just did the model Y before Tesla with the I-pace. They are having Magna build it for them. The only thing missing is a charging network that may be the works with a group of automakers sharing the cost. Who knows, the Tesla charging network could be up for grabs if Tesla has financing troubles. Maybe Tesla has a partner buy into it for a cash injection to keep the doors open? Things change very quickly in the auto industry.

iPace US __base__ price will be __$69.5k__. So, no, they didn't.

Jaguar just did the model Y before Tesla with the I-pace.
The I-pace is a US$90K compliance car despite what the un-optioned sticker price is. The model Y will destroy it sales wise.
The only thing missing is a charging network that may be the works with a group of automakers sharing the cost. Who knows, the Tesla charging network could be up for grabs if Tesla has financing troubles. Maybe Tesla has a partner buy into it for a cash injection to keep the doors open? Things change very quickly in the auto industry.
There are a lot of "may be", "who knows", "could be" in the quote above. Ain't gonna happen and just wishful thinking.

I still doubt there is enough demand for 350,000-500,000 model 3's per year if Tesla gets production that high. If they do the Tesla charging network will be so over used it will be useless for anyone.
The model 3 does not get free supercharger and soon the model S/X won't either for new builds. The superchargers will be used for long distance travel with daily use charged at home/office. The convenience of home charging will dovetail nicely with Elon's Solar City business. Tesla will also provide denser battery packs in the future to get 400-600 miles per charge which will reduce the need for superchargers.

I predict the oil companies will be getting into the supercharging business as a way to offset future declining gasoline sales. In other words, the more BEVs on the road, the more opportunity for third party providers to make a buck, and they will.

Great. I'll believe they duplicated what Tesla has achieved when I see 400k people clamor for the car.

I was also going to add 'without advertising,' but the comparison is unfair enough as it is.

The 400K people was based on a $35,000 vapor car (less incentives). It will be interesting to see how many of those reservations will actually convert to sales. 35K less $7,500 = $28,500. That is an entirely different market to where the model 3's will really be selling.

The I-Pace is a Model Y with a Model X price tag.

You also didn't even mention Jaguar's plans to duplicate the 3, X or S. Does Jaguar have any plans for a roadster and semi truck? Do they have a giant battery factory? Do they have Tesla's battery tech? What about autonomous driving tech? How much of their invested capital would be lost if they abandoned ICE in an attempt to duplicate Tesla?

But at least you acknowledged that Jaguar has literally zero charging network. And you're telling me that Jaguar actually has to contract out the production of the I-Pace and have someone else manufacture it for them? Fascinating...

I hope the legacy manufacturers are paying you well, even if your efforts aren't the greatest.

The 400K people was based on a $35,000 vapor car (less incentives). It will be interesting to see how many of those reservations will actually convert to sales. 35K less $7,500 = $28,500. That is an entirely different market to where the model 3's will really be selling.

Again, I'll wait to see 400k people clamoring for anything Jag has to offer, vapor cars included.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand