Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon on the locations of the new Enhanced Autopilot cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

In the press call in response to a question about the new cameras potentially being effected by rain and snow, Elon said that the 3 forward cameras high up at the center of the windshield have their own heater element to prevent ice buildup and that they are in the area covered by the wipers, the two side cameras are high up on the B pillars, and the the two rear quarter cameras are in the "repeater" side area of the taillight housings in an area where snow and ice buildup does not typicall occur. The rear camera is in the same place and he said nothing about any new feature to keep that camera clear of moisture. That is the only area I would be concerned about because when it rains the rear camera is often useless.

Elon also said that the car would alert the driver if any of the camera images were not usable by the software so the driver could clean the camera.

I'm wondering if a few seconds of footage from all cameras will become part of the data logs which Tesla can pull from the vehicles.

Or if there are legal restrictions maybe it will be data from the ultrasonics/radar

Reactions: Fiddler
the two rear quarter cameras are in the "repeater" side area of the taillight housings
After viewing the video showing the X in Full Self Driving mode it appears I did not correctly describe the location of those two cameras, in fact they are integrated into the side marker lights just behind the front wheels and below and slightly forward of the side mirrors. Looks like an excellent location for them.

• Informative
New I'm wondering if a few seconds of footage from all cameras will become part of the data logs which Tesla can pull from the vehicles.
I was wondering the same thing. My guess is "yes" but that is just a guess.

I do wish that all the video was stored for an hour (continuously overwritten) and the owner could access it and either email video clips or save them to a USB drive.

• Love
After viewing the video showing the X in Full Self Driving mode it appears I did not correctly describe the location of those two cameras, in fact they are integrated into the side marker lights just behind the front wheels and below and slightly forward of the side mirrors. Looks like an excellent location for them.
Yup.
IMG_3698.JPG

I just realized that in the future when mirrors on vehicles is no longer required tesla is ahead of the game because the cameras are already in place they just could remove the mirrors no problem!!

AN OPEN LETTER TO ELON AFTER HE MADE MY BRAND NEW AP2 P100D OBSOLETE AND WORTHLESS BECAUSE OF THE JUST ANNOUNCED MIRROR-LESS UPDATE

And Elon actually said that all of the cameras will have a heater, not just the three forward facing ones.
When I listened to the audio of the recent conference call I thought I only heard him mention the forward cameras were heated (the ones behind the windshield). I did not hear him say the side cameras or rear camera were heated. But maybe I missed that.

When I listened to the audio of the recent conference call I thought I only heard him mention the forward cameras were heated (the ones behind the windshield). I did not hear him say the side cameras or rear camera were heated. But maybe I missed that.

Listen to the call again at 24:15 Elon said: "There are heater elements, umm around, on all of the camera surfaces."