Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon say's AP off in Penn. crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this bug-a-boo about miles driven, number of accidents, etc, make for good headlines. I doubt any of the people cahlling for the AP to be disabled have ever driven a Tesla with it on.

I know I am a much better, safer driver with the AP on than I am with it off. It's another set of eyes (that never blink). It is not a replacement set of eyes.

That should be the test. Are you safer with it on or off?

Reactions: GSP and David99
And more good news. Elon tweeted that the European Authority has "no safety concerns" with AP. This was after an official in Germany said it would not approve a beta version of AP. So after all the negative media stories it looks like the worm has turned.

C2Gde3j.gif

Elon made a great point awhile back about how, for example, TACC does not get distracted.

I consider TACC, in its current and greatly refined state, to be one of the best parts of the driving experience associated with owning this car.

I have dashcam video of more than one vehicle without TACC in an adjacent lane rear-ending another vehicle. Even an accident that appears minor represents a significant hassle and easily thousands of dollars of damage - and that's if there is no soft tissue damage, among other things.

I remain in favor of changing the name to DriverAssist. I understand and rely upon autopilot features when on the water, and as any yacht or aircraft owner will tell you, autopilot can be a very much appreciated tool. But you never, ever rely upon a single source for navigation.

Without disparaging the Great Unwashed too terribly much, when you observe someone of average intelligence behind the wheel, and then realize that half of the other drivers are dumber than *that*, it's pretty clear that they need all the help they can get. Driver assist features are in general a Good Thing. But at best, today in a Model S/X, we're at Level 2 of 5 levels of autonomous driving. Changing the name or even just referring to the features more as "driver assistance" features wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

People tend to lie and bend the truth their way when it comes to accidents. Several examples now of how people were caught in their lies and Tesla was able to pull the logs from the car and proof what really happened.
What do we learn from this? Get a dash cam installed! Sooner or later you will get in an accident, hopefully a small one. Having hard proof of what you have done vs what the other people say can make a big difference and safe you thousands.

Reactions: RubberToe