Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JP Bark - Since you disagreed, what leads you to believe that everyone will get their invite Day 1 for AWD? Especially considering that different people have different AWD Delivery Estimates.
My understanding is once you have an invite to the configurator you have access to it any any available options, once new options become available the are available to everyone who has access.

Reactions: sitter_k
Must say I'm a little bummed.... As I sit in the July-Sept batch, it would certainly look like I will get the shove as all those who have deferred will overload the queue. Even though Tesla will certainly roll these out based on priority, it will still cut the production of the RWD LR model I seek... I personally feel that this rollout has been completely mismanaged...

I would hate to be one of the current group that has a car configured and being delivered in the next few weeks that jumped and ordered the RWD LR because they couldn't get an idea of when the AWD or P was going to be announced...

As a shareholder, I win either way. As someone getting a Performance 3, I win both ways.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Does anyone know if they can selectively allow users certain configurations once the configurator is up? @bonnie?

My understanding is once you have an invite to the configurator you have access to it any any available options, once new options become available the are available to everyone who has access.

That's my understanding as well. That isn't to say that once they get a flood of orders that they won't prioritize production based on reservation date, employee or not, and prior owner status.

Must say I'm a little bummed.... As I sit in the July-Sept batch, it would certainly look like I will get the shove as all those who have deferred will overload the queue. Even though Tesla will certainly roll these out based on priority, it will still cut the production of the RWD LR model I seek... I personally feel that this rollout has been completely mismanaged...

I would hate to be one of the current group that has a car configured and being delivered in the next few weeks that jumped and ordered the RWD LR because they couldn't get an idea of when the AWD or P was going to be announced...

This is what I am referring to in my earlier post. There are Canadians receiving invites to configure who didn't reserve until July 2017 (practically the start of production)(info based on: Tesla Model 3 Invites - All Entries ) and here some people sit in the United States who reserved in 2016 who have yet to be invited to configure and it seems that people will be invited more than once before they get their first. I am ok with start of AWD this if the people who reserved are given an invitation before this occurs, but otherwise, I am a little perturbed.

I just called and spoke with a Tesla sales rep and they said you cannot edit your configuration to AWD. If you've already configured, you're locked in to that motor and the only things you can change are color and wheels. The only alternative for those who have configured and really want AWD is to cancel (lose both deposits 1k + 2.5k) and put your name on the reservation list again which will put you at the back of the line. You may have better luck going up the management ladder but sounds like this is standard procedure.

This is what I am referring to in my earlier post. There are Canadians receiving invites to configure who didn't reserve until July 2017 (practically the start of production)(info based on: Tesla Model 3 Invites - All Entries ) and here some people sit in the United States who reserved in 2016 who have yet to be invited to configure and it seems that people will be invited more than once before they get their first. I am ok with start of AWD this if the people who reserved are given an invitation before this occurs, but otherwise, I am a little perturbed.
Those Canadians have served to ensure any US buyer who takes delivery 7/1-12/31 gets the full tax credit.

That's my understanding as well. That isn't to say that once they get a flood of orders that they won't prioritize production based on reservation date, employee or not, and prior owner status.
This is all managing the queue, and keeping the price per car as high as can be till they hit 200,000 sold in the US.
They may not invite more people to order till the number of people who have access dwindle to a save number.
I am still waiting for the short range pack so the Performance and AWD will not get me to purchase now anyways.

Bad idea. He threw the Canadians a bone with May and June deliveries to preserve the Tax Credit for US buyers.

I highly doubt anyone outside the US is getting their car between 7/1 and 12/31 of this year.

Well, my invite still says 4-8 weeks for a First Production (to Canada). 8 weeks would put it in July.

They aren't going to take away the invite. If a Canadian has been invited, they will get a car this year... Now, Canadians that haven't been invited, that might be another story.

Edit - And also - 'throwing Canadians a bone' will enable an additional quarter of the Americans getting a tax rebate.

Well, my invite still says 4-8 weeks for a First Production (to Canada). 8 weeks would put it in July.

They aren't going to take away the invite. If a Canadian has been invited, they will get a car this year... Now, Canadians that haven't been invited, that might be another story.

Well, if you're a Canadian who hasn't configured yet....you might want to consider it.