Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The prices will still be silly. The 35k price was BS - this is a giant bait and switch. Everything else that you'd want is just priced insanely high. Who charges 5k for AWD on a 35k car? That's more than what it was for the S since the S included air suspension as well
Name one other AWD car that is actually dual motor. Other than you know, the existing Teslas, which were already charging $5k until they rolled into into the base.

The prices will still be silly. The 35k price was BS - this is a giant bait and switch. Everything else that you'd want is just priced insanely high. Who charges 5k for AWD on a 35k car? That's more than what it was for the S since the S included air suspension as well
The $35k version isn't out yet. The profit margin for those is just too low.

That's why Tesla as a company sold that outrageously priced roadster first. They needed money...so they could build the S. Now they need Model 3 performance profits so they can build the 35k version.

The prices will still be silly. The 35k price was BS - this is a giant bait and switch. Everything else that you'd want is just priced insanely high. Who charges 5k for AWD on a 35k car? That's more than what it was for the S since the S included air suspension as
Go to bed.

A bit disappointed that Elon didn't keep his word on Dual Motor on the 3 costing "less" than it does on the Model S.

$5K for AWD is a lot. $2,000 on 340i to go from RWD to AWD.

0-60 in 4.5 is almost bang on with BMW 340xi performance.

For me, personally, the attraction right now is due to the $7,500 federal rebate that probably lasts through the end of the year and the $5,000 state rebate that definitely does.

$62,000 DM LR Model 3 with paint/delivery/autopilot looks a lot more attractive when you lop $12,500 off the price and turn it into a $49,500 car. I might even pass on autopilot.

still seems an insane amount extra to knock 1 second off the 0-60, but I suppose that thinking is why I'm in an IS350 instead of an IS-F presently- .

A second from mid-4 to mid-3 is not the same as knoking some fraction of seocnd off from the 5 or 6 second range. No matter how you look at it 3.5 second 0-60 never comes cheap.

Last edited:
A bit disappointed that Elon didn't keep his word on Dual Motor on the 3 costing "less" than it does on the Model S.

$5K for AWD is a lot. $2,000 on 340i to go from RWD to AWD.

0-60 in 4.5 is almost bang on with BMW 340xi performance.

For me, personally, the attraction right now is due to the $7,500 federal rebate that probably lasts through the end of the year and the $5,000 state rebate that definitely does.

$62,000 DM LR Model 3 with paint/delivery/autopilot looks a lot more attractive when you lop $12,500 off the price and turn it into a $49,500 car. I might even pass on autopilot.
technically, the model 3 AWD does cost less than a Model S AWD.

Now they need Model 3 performance profits so they can build the 35k version.

I think that is why shorts call Tesla a ponzi scheme and what drives market fear. Seems Tesla is unable or afraid to scale. Is 400k reservations not scale enough already for 35k?

If they want profits they should make and sell cars many people can buy. Mass market will never arrive if they always decide this trend to sell fewer cars with more margin.

It’s not just AWD. $5k also gets you 0.6 seconds faster 0-60mph.
That's a good point. And it doesn't lose efficiency the way that most AWDs do. So it's not just AWD - it's dual motor, giving you redundancy in case of a motor failure (will continue to drive just fine), it gives 0.6 seconds faster acceleration, and doesn't lose any efficiency. That's pretty good for $5k, IMO.

That's a good point. And it doesn't lose efficiency the way that most AWDs do. So it's not just AWD - it's dual motor, giving you redundancy in case of a motor failure (will continue to drive just fine), it gives 0.6 seconds faster acceleration, and doesn't lose any efficiency. That's pretty good for $5k, IMO.
But it should give you more range and apparently doesn't (officially)