Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what switched "reluctance" motor means? I think it's a typo, perhaps inductance? I'm s/w not h/w so have no idea WTH Elon meant.

I'm pulling an all-nighter hoping the Perf config really gets released. My configurator opened on 12/03/2017.

Reminds me of refreshing on Model X reservation day to get an early VIN.

Nickey Minaj is screaming in my other monitor right now can't wait for it to end!! :mad:

She's finally off the stage!! Now another stupid skit with Tina Fey in it. Looks like Lorne let her do whatever she wants.

More details at Electrek Tesla unveils faster and more powerful Model 3 dual motor AWD and Performance versions

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor All-Wheel-Drive
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the new dual motor Model 3 vehicles are equipped with a front AC induction motor to complement the switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet motor at the rear.
  • Range: 310 miles
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 4.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 140 mph
  • Price: $5,000 for AWD option
That compares to the rear-wheel-drive version’s official 0-60 mph time of 5.1 seconds. Tesla is listing the same top speed and range as the single motor version.

Tesla Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel-Drive
The performance version features the same motors (AC in the front and permanent magnet in the rear) as the dual version, but they are picking the highest rated ones with double the burn-in process to make sure they can handle a higher output.

Musk also said that the performance version will feature a carbon fiber spoiler, 20” Performance wheels, and black and white interior options. He claimed it will be 15% quicker than the BMW M3 and with better handling, and “will beat anything in its class on the track.”
  • Range: 310 miles
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 3.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 155 mph
  • Price: $78,000 (without autopilot)
We don’t see the option being available in the design studio yet, but Musk says it will be up for “early reservation holders” tonight.

• Helpful
Reactions: sitter_k
Anyone know what switched "reluctance" motor means? I think it's a typo, perhaps inductance? I'm s/w not h/w so have no idea WTH Elon meant.

I'm pulling an all-nighter hoping the Perf config really gets released. My configurator opened on 12/03/2017.

Reminds me of refreshing on Model X reservation day to get an early VIN.

Nickey Minaj is screaming in my other monitor right now can't wait for it to end!! :mad:

She's finally off the stage!! Now another stupid skit with Tina Fey in it. Looks like Lorne let her do whatever she wants.

No typo. Here's a great article about it.

Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica

The Model 3 is meant to be the car everyone can afford. He's got half a million pre orders even with a 2 year wait - he has all volume he needs to keep prices down. Elon himself said the options would be cheaper - they aren't. This is a bait and switch plain and simple

I think bait and switch is a bit strong, but I agree that the AWD cost is disappointing based on expectations already set by Elon. They know the market, and are obviously confident they can charge S/X prices for options and people will still buy. I can’t help but think this will come to bite them when the standard battery becomes available and the take up for options like AWD and AP is a lot lower that they are expecting.

Reactions: kablammyman