Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Obviously we're all just guessing but I think $5K for AWD and $10K for performance. So do you think this will impact base Model S sales?

He had previously claimed that dual motor would cost "less" on the Model 3 than on the S. So I'm expecting it will be just a little under $5,000.... perhaps $4,500.

Reactions: Snow Drift

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
This is why, years ago, Elon suggested that perhaps the best Tesla ownership experience is to order a new Tesla when you need one. Always waiting for the next release update will prevent you from owning a Tesla forever, as they have a policy of continous improvement and updates.

Suggest owners just enjoy and drive the car they have. Then when enough new stuff has been made available, trade in your old Telsa on a new one.

Tesla features like color, interiors, performance, and delivery availability are all very emotional items. People, of course, will always want what they want, but they can only order what is available at the time of configuration.

Denarius

Apr 27, 2013
Utah
WTS one barely used but much loved RWD Model 3.
WTB a bump up the queue for AWD P Model 3 (guess that's going to cost me an S)

That’s what I did with my Model S. Got RWD and just over a year later ordered the dual motor. I wasn’t going to make that mistake again.

Zaphod

Galaxy President (former)
Dec 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Since you can't see the Design Studio unless you're already logged on, I imagine they'd be able to batch it based on your location, owner status, etc, as flagged in their database.

Again, we'll see
Why make it more complicated? Anybody who currently has an invite is still queued in order of when they received their invite. Anybody with an invite can place the order for whatever option, but delivery will all depend on your place. This way they can gather $2500 from everybody who places an order. :D

Just my theory anyway. Will it happen that way? Possibly not, but surely they would have to or it would be one flaming fiasco. I have my invite. Let me order what I want with the understanding delivery will be based upon when I received my invite. Seems fair to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
From the engineering review of the RWD car, all of the mounts and front suspension components are already configured to have the front motor. This is a bit of and oversimplification but all they will have to do is add the front motor assembly and associated harness and hoses and off you go.
Yeah, we know. You can say the same thing about white seats. And cream seats. :D Even easier to add, since they gotta put in seats, anyway?

But I was also saying, then this includes the larger rear motor, perhaps? For the P-whatever?

seattlite2004

Apr 12, 2016
Puget Sound
Wonder if there is gonna be some bling that will differentiate the AWD/Performance model from the LR commoner vehicles. There's gotta be something that will show show off that I got the more fancy AWD/Perf model..

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

pace

Aug 7, 2017
Conway
Next year for air suspension? /cries/

I need to get a test drive before I order, I need to see if the car will get into my driveway without scraping. My Prius scrapes if I'm not careful pulling into or out of the driveway.

For what it's worth the Model 3 has better ground clearance than my Audi A5 S-Line did.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Yeah, we know. You can say the same thing about white seats. And cream seats. :D Even easier to add, since they gotta put in seats, anyway?

But I was also saying, then this includes the larger rear motor, perhaps? For the P-whatever?
Who knows at this point. It could be like the Model S with a smaller rear motor for the non P and then possibly use the RWD motor for the P version.

xcat

Aug 26, 2016
Buffalo Grove IL
4/19 configuration and still waiting on VIN. May consider swapping to AWD if the price is right. I assume with the Edit button on the order page, the $500 change fee is waived?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC