Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You said the $35K isn't enough for Tesla to survive making it, which I took to imply you feel it will have close to zero or negative margins and building it ever would lead to financial ruin. I'm saying that I don't interpret Elon's remark that way, that instead it's low enough that they need to finish paying off all their CapEx for the vehicle & etc using the higher margin LR models, before they can profitably build the minimum margin $35k vehicles - but that there has to be at least some profit to be had from them, otherwise they wouldn't offer them at that price. Doing so just requires a paid off and well oiled production machine.
imply? No I only meant what I said.

If Tesla built the $35k first.....it would " cause tesla to lose money and die".

That's what I feel. AND that's what Elon said.

Sorry, I misunderstood your phrasing.
No worries. Its all good.

BTW.....did you notice that the entire structure of Who Tesla is allowing to configure the Performance and AWD is changing?

People who haven't even been invited to configure the current version are getting a chance to configure Performance and AWD because the rules have changed.

Changes to invite priority, now only effected by date/time of reservation

I have never ever experienced anything like this.

Absolute geniuses in technology, but..........

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
That thread mostly confirms that if the performance edition does not have significantly better brakes its useless around a track.

I would argue the key takeaway is the new battery chemistry and battery management system have improved sufficiently that he did multiple laps (9) without the batteries over heating. The quality of the brakes can be addressed but without the battery related improvements the Model 3 has no chance to challenge BMW on the track.

Reactions: kbM3
Also the White interior shouldn't take that long to appear for standard AWD next, just don't see how Tesla can sell 1K/week performance model.

I agree, and Elon said that they have enough white for 1000/week now. So that would mean by the time they start producing/delivering the Model 3Ps in mid July that they would have enough white on hand for ~8,000 cars. (And that is assuming that the supply of white doesn't ramp.)

Last edited:
Feeling better that there are other owner line waiters without the ability to configure AWD. Hope we all get it soon.
I'm the same. Day 1 pre-reveal online reservation, current Model X owner. It's consistently said mid 2018. Does anyone think they might offer white interior with regular AWD for owners, make those first, and just send out invites later in like a week? I think it's odd that all these AWD orders say 12-16 weeks until delivery. Assuming they start being made July 30, that's still only 8-9 weeks until delivery. So why say 12-16 for the non-owners? It's like they're accounting for owners ordering, but for some mysterious reason have deliberately held off with the configs.

Actually.....they have NOT rolled out the Performance THE SAME WAY .

Check out people who have been able to configure so far. Example: Ryan McCaffery being one has already configured. He IS NOT an employee. He IS NOT a line waiter. He IS NOT a current owner.

So....they HAVE NOT rolled out the configurator the same way.

This forum is the place to voice anything you want about anything....soo...... Ignore what you don't want to read.

Just to clarify, Ryan WAS a line waiter.

Sooo.... Fun tidbit: apparently, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (same tire that's on the 20" wheels) are available in the correct size to fit the 18" Aero wheels and they're cheaper than the stock MXM4s. Given that the 20" wheels in the Tesla store include 235 width tires (same width as the Aeros), why bother with the wagon wheels on the performance car when you could have performance with minimal range impact? ;)

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Model+3&autoModClar=

They are cheaper per tire but not necessarily cheaper per mile. The treadwear rating is higher on the MXM4s. Also the MXM4s are all weather instead of summer. Also the All season MXM4s have the acoustic foam lining but the Pilot Sport 4S does not.

I updated the Tesla calculator I posted to include Elon's new pricing for the Model 3 AWD and Performance. Please reply if you find any issues. Thanks.

upload_2018-5-21_14-2-6-png.302732

I'm the same. Day 1 pre-reveal online reservation, current Model X owner. It's consistently said mid 2018. Does anyone think they might offer white interior with regular AWD for owners, make those first, and just send out invites later in like a week? I think it's odd that all these AWD orders say 12-16 weeks until delivery. Assuming they start being made July 30, that's still only 8-9 weeks until delivery. So why say 12-16 for the non-owners? It's like they're accounting for owners ordering, but for some mysterious reason have deliberately held off with the configs.
I’m an owner and line waiter, and saw 12-16 weeks for both AWD and perf for the few minutes I had access.

I am X owner and ordered online when it opened. I have screen grab of when I had access to select AWD in the early hours Sun. Strangely, AWD was selectable but Performance which is what I’m getting was not.

Bottom line their config/ rdering process (DB/middleware/code) is foobar! (F’d Up Beyond All Repair) for you non-Unix (Linux) geeks! :)

I’m an owner and line waiter, and saw 12-16 weeks for both AWD and perf for the few minutes I had access.