Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not correct. I camped out overnight in Palo Alto. I was about 14th or so in line. But my order is through a Tesla employee friend of mine.
BTW, if you're looking for things to tweet at Elon, how about asking if the P3D has special brakes and/or suspension, if the 20" wheels are forged or cast, if the 310 mi range is with 20" or 18" aeros (if the latter, what is range hit on 20's), and if they will make 20" arachnid wheels for the 3? TIA :D

Reactions: SD_Engnr
@favo That is actually on my list. He was busy tweeting about journalists and the media today, so I thought it wasn't the best time to try this question. :D

Please! There needs to be more for it to be worth it to me. I would like to see more than just bigger wheels, early access to white interior, a carbon fiber spoiler, and a little extra speed for the $21k+ premium.

Please! There needs to be more for it to be worth it to me. I would like to see more than just bigger wheels, early access to white interior, a carbon fiber spoiler, and a little extra speed for the $21k+ premium.

Caught Elon at the right moment! And the answer is a good one, to boot: Elon Musk on Twitter
brakes.JPG

Caught Elon at the right moment! And the answer is a good one, to boot: Elon Musk on Twitter
View attachment 304094

That's awesome! You rock! I've asked a few questions and never had a response... lol

Please keep asking him ALL the questions. We deserve to know everything that is included in the premium.
Oh, and does your Tesla friend have any more abilities to configure?? ;)

Reactions: ryanjm
BTW, if you're looking for things to tweet at Elon, how about asking if the P3D has special brakes and/or suspension, if the 20" wheels are forged or cast, if the 310 mi range is with 20" or 18" aeros (if the latter, what is range hit on 20's), and if they will make 20" arachnid wheels for the 3? TIA :D

It has special brakes, but he says you won't notice the difference on the brakes unless you are using super sticky 20" tires in a racing situation.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Note this gives you information about the P3D and the Model 3 AWD without performance as the question was in response to asking if the AWD would have performance brakes as well.

AWD = will it have sport level brakes? (Minus red calipers).

No, but dual motors mean increased regen braking & will ride tire traction limit. You won’t notice sport brakes unless you’re on a racetrack & have the sticky 20” tires.

The answer effectively applies to both. Only one will have the special brakes, but that one that does also has to have very specific tires or you won't notice the difference.

• Informative
Reactions: ryanjm
I am leaning towards the red these days, after thinking blue for about 4 years. Not sure about interior either. Gonna have to go back and look at them in person. Decisions, decisions...
I have never had a red car - this will be my first and I am surprisingly excited. I also was in love with the blue for some time, then had a brief affair with midnight silver metallic. Walked the local Tesla lot today (must have been 50 Model 3s awaiting delivery), blue looks great, but boy does it get dirty quick. The red had a lot more depth than I thought - looked fantastic outdoors and indoors. I wasn't as happy with some of the colors outdoors to be honest. MSM looks fantastic in the show room but it didn't do much for me in the sun.

Funny how these colors grow on you. All of them look great though. Here is a fun shot from the lot today - so many Model 3s! No silver one in that shot - I only found a single silver model 3 on the entire lot for some reason.
IMG_2206.jpg

I have never had a red car - this will be my first and I am surprisingly excited. I also was in love with the blue for some time, then had a brief affair with midnight silver metallic. Walked the local Tesla lot today (must have been 50 Model 3s awaiting delivery), blue looks great, but boy does it get dirty quick. The red had a lot more depth than I thought - looked fantastic outdoors and indoors. I wasn't as happy with some of the colors outdoors to be honest. MSM looks fantastic in the show room but it didn't do much for me in the sun.
Pretty much my thinking exactly! Red always seems to look good. Blue looks awesome sometimes, but not quite as good when dirty or in darker light. I also had a brief fling with MSM. Most of my previous cars were blue, and never had a red one.

Reactions: Finder
It has special brakes, but he says you won't notice the difference on the brakes unless you are using super sticky 20" tires in a racing situation..

The fact you won't notice a brake upgrade unless you're on a racetrack is true of virtually every modern car ever made.

In normal street use brake "upgrades" do literally nothing useful besides make eventual brake jobs more expensive (or more frequently needed for suckers who buy drilled rotors)

The fact you won't notice a brake upgrade unless you're on a racetrack is true of virtually every modern car ever made.

In normal street use brake "upgrades" do literally nothing useful besides make eventual brake jobs more expensive (or more frequently needed for suckers who buy drilled rotors)

Luckily Tesla's barely use the brakes in non-racetrack settings. So it'll be nice to have on the racetrack, and otherwise nice for bragging rights/style points.