Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larger performance brakes absolutely change the performance of the car in a track setting. I also didn't call them epic, I rather meant he ask for one more feature and should therefore make sure it is a good one.

I know how to park just fine so more camera views are useless to me. I was more referring to hardware changes exclusive to the Performance version. But everybody has different wants/needs, hence why I light-heartedly suggested a vote.

I believe larger brakes had already been confirmed and this was a request for fancy painted calipers... which would be a cosmetic change.

I have nothing against people who spend the coin on the high end super performance version getting some cosmetic swag... I'm just much more interested in the features that would benefit all owners.

FYI I've been driving for 30 years and also know how to park between the lines. Don't knock the wonder of 360 degree surround view until you've tried it for yourself. It is a marvelous feature.

Reactions: FlyNavy01
FYI I've been driving for 30 years and also know how to park between the lines. Don't knock the wonder of 360 degree surround view until you've tried it for yourself. It is a marvelous feature.
I would love 360 video or even 270. I don't know why but I rarely park my S straight between the lines on the first try. I never had a problem with my previous car but it was an SUV and I sat up higher.

Reactions: e-FTW
I have an X and a Leaf. I’ll take parking the X any day over the Leaf. Leaf has no parking sensors, and even though the 360 cameras should be great, reality is I never use it because the screen is tiny, and typically not visible at all due to terrible screen performance in even a smidgen of sunlight.

1) Ryan asks for red brakes... Elon says no, then later comes back and makes it happen.

2) Ryan asks for aluminum pedals.... Elon says no, but just came back and made it happen: Elon Musk on Twitter

So... to make it 3 for 3, I propose we all vote on one more (epic) feature that @ryanjm asks Elon for us soon-to-be Performance owners :cool:

Yeah...and a cassette player. I have a "best of Queen" tape I cant even play in my S85D

+1 for ludicrous. Elon did say way back in the day that the Model 3 would have it:
Watch Out: Tesla Model 3 Will Have Ludicrous Mode

Makes me wonder if they will ship it on the Model 3 performance as a surprise or have it as a paid upgrade later like they did for the P85D. Really hope they don't make you buy a new car for it...
This is one of my biggest fears about the performance version. If it's not going to be until next year then I'd wish they let us know.

Elon said it'd be there and there has so far been no mention of it with the performance version. With S/X nowadays the performance version automatically comes with Ludicrous, so we've come to expect it with the performance versions.

People like me cannot afford to trade in the car in a year. We'd be better off waiting, but then we lose part of the tax credit.

If it's for sure not going to be in this version then at least tell us before we make the purchase, otherwise we're just gambling.

Reactions: Finder
+1 for ludicrous. Elon did say way back in the day that the Model 3 would have it:
Watch Out: Tesla Model 3 Will Have Ludicrous Mode

Makes me wonder if they will ship it on the Model 3 performance as a surprise or have it as a paid upgrade later like they did for the P85D. Really hope they don't make you buy a new car for it...
This is one of my biggest fears about the performance version. If it's not going to be until next year then I'd wish they let us know.

Elon said it'd be there and there has so far been no mention of it with the performance version. With S/X nowadays the performance version automatically comes with Ludicrous, so we've come to expect it with the performance versions.

People like me cannot afford to trade in the car in a year. We'd be better off waiting, but then we lose part of the tax credit.

If it's for sure not going to be in this version then at least tell us before we make the purchase, otherwise we're just gambling.

exactly this... the P85 had several years and version before ludicrous was even a thing and then it wasn't even standard till the P90D or P100D... i don't mind paying more upfront for the highest spec car, but i'd be fearful of a hardware upgrade immediately around the corner. how awesome if it were all software up-gradable at least for a few years to stave off obsolescence?

Reactions: Finder

Elon Musk on Twitter - Turning on production for Model 3 Performance version.https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005138469243383808

I took that to mean Performance Model 3 production started last week. If that is correct there is no reason for those not to go out before regular AWD. Shouldn't take too long to satisfy demand for the performance trim compared to the overall reservation queue.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
it charges at a faster rate than does the S
That is completely normal: the 3 is more efficient, and needs less power to go each mile, as you noted. That is reflected in the charge rate, since for each KWh you add to the battery, you get more miles.
If you switch your display to kW, you will see that the charge rate is identical between the 3 and S.

Makes the S feel like an electron-guzzler!

exactly this... the P85 had several years and version before ludicrous was even a thing and then it wasn't even standard till the P90D or P100D... i don't mind paying more upfront for the highest spec car, but i'd be fearful of a hardware upgrade immediately around the corner. how awesome if it were all software up-gradable at least for a few years to stave off obsolescence?
I am relatively confident we'll be safe for a bit: Ludicrous Mode was made possible with a hardware change once Tesla figured out what the limiting factor was to maximum power delivery (the pack's fuse, switched to Inconel IIRC).
Elon already stated there were changes to the inverters for the Performance 3. Makes me feel like they already know what to change for max performance. But I am wrong regularly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elon Musk on Twitter - Turning on production for Model 3 Performance version.

I took that to mean Performance Model 3 production started last week. If that is correct there is no reason for those not to go out before regular AWD. Shouldn't take too long to satisfy demand for the performance trim compared to the overall reservation queue.
The concern is that there could be a real performance version around the corner with ludicrous and possible sub 3.0 second 0-60.

Elon already stated there were changes to the inverters for the Performance 3.
He didn't state there are changes per se, he just stated that they are Silicon Carbide inverters. We've known this since 2017 and the chips come from Infineon. I don't know if we have information that the current RWD is not Silicon Carbide.

We also know that the Model 3 battery pack is supposedly capable of 1200A. The front inverter 500A and the rear capable of 800A (according to Electrek).

The concern is that there could be a real performance version around the corner with ludicrous and possible sub 3.0 second 0-60.
I think the reason they will release a real performance version later is that magazines will compare this version to the BMW M3, and Alfa Romeo Giulia QF and find that it is nowhere near as fast around a track as Musk claimed it would be. This version is just a cash grab. Hopefully the next version will have the upgrades necessary to make it competitive.

Reactions: chickensworth
I think the reason they will release a real performance version later is that magazines will compare this version to the BMW M3, and Alfa Romeo Giulia QF and find that it is nowhere near as fast around a track as Musk claimed it would be. This version is just a cash grab. Hopefully the next version will have the upgrades necessary to make it competitive.

If so do you think the next version will be the same price or be even more expensive? I know the next version ‘may’ or probably will have SAS, and that will drive the price up. I’m just talking ‘in general’ price comparison.

Ski

If so do you think the next version will be the same price or be even more expensive? I know the next version ‘may’ or probably will have SAS, and that will drive the price up. I’m just talking ‘in general’ price comparison.

Ski
I have no idea. Right now it's priced comparably to those cars so I would think not. SAS is not a performance feature, so presumably that would just be an option. All speculation :p
It sounds like we're going to get a look at the performance model soon as it will be the in store demo car.

62BD96B8-D62E-4BE4-8E63-5DEE668732A5.jpeg

Red calipers
20 inch wheels
White seats
Off white headliner
Huge wheel gap

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW and SD_Engnr