Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the benchmark has to be the BMW M3 sedan at $66,500 and 0-60 at 3.9s, I think the Performance would need to easily beat those numbers. Something like a base Performance Model 3 for $59,500 and a 0-60 at 3.4.... so with the mandatory PUP it would start at $64,500. I want so badly the numbers to be so amazing that most people in the market don't even consider the M-Series or AMG ect..... Thoughts?

Semi: 80k lbs, 4 motors ~800kWh of battery, 0-60 in 20 seconds.
3: 4k lbs, 2 motors, ~80kWh of battery, 0-60 :
1/20 weight, 1/2 motor, 1/10 battery
If motor output is the limiting factor, then 20s*1/20/(1/2) = 2 second 0-60.
If pack output is the limiting factor, then it will be something slower.
P100D(non-L) : 100 kWh pack, 0-60 of 4.1, weight 5k lbs
4.1 * (4/5) * (100/80) = 4.1 seconds.
P100DL: 2.9
Same factors: 2.9s for 3.

So I'd say somewhere in the 3's for the 3.

Semi: 80k lbs, 4 motors ~800kWh of battery, 0-60 in 20 seconds.
3: 4k lbs, 2 motors, ~80kWh of battery, 0-60 :
1/20 weight, 1/2 motor, 1/10 battery
If motor output is the limiting factor, then 20s*1/20/(1/2) = 2 second 0-60.
If pack output is the limiting factor, then it will be something slower.
P100D(non-L) : 100 kWh pack, 0-60 of 4.1, weight 5k lbs
4.1 * (4/5) * (100/80) = 4.1 seconds.
P100DL: 2.9
Same factors: 2.9s for 3.

So I'd say somewhere in the 3's for the 3.

Are you semi figures for a fully loaded trailer? or just the truck itself? 20 seconds seems like it would be the full load figure.

Are you semi figures for a fully loaded trailer? or just the truck itself? 20 seconds seems like it would be the full load figure.

Yah, I put "80k lbs" on the semi line for the fully loaded number.

Since I'm posting: seats on non-PUP could have less power functions to save cost (along with weight), but I'm thinking the Tesla Network is better if a car auto adjusts to your profile before you get in, so the change might only be for passenger seat...

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Yah, I put "80k lbs" on the semi line for the fully loaded number.

Since I'm posting: seats on non-PUP could have less power functions to save cost (along with weight), but I'm thinking the Tesla Network is better if a car auto adjusts to your profile before you get in, so the change might only be for passenger seat...

I would think someone buying a barebones, made-for-speed/track Model 3 wouldn't be putting it out for loan on the Tesla Network anyway. But who knows, stranger things have happened.

A genius such as Elon.....not knowing what a week is?........I don't think so.

Elon time normally exists on technical hardware/software manufacturing stuff.
Pricing and configuration on a website? What could possibly go wrong?

Garlan,
I think you will be at 8,250 posts by the time you get your car.

Predictions for Non-Owner first deliveries
White Interior - August 15th
AWD - September 20th
P-AWD - November 15th

Garlan,
I think you will be at 8,250 posts by the time you get your car.

Predictions for Non-Owner first deliveries
White Interior - August 15th
AWD - September 20th
P-AWD - November 15th

Interesting.

I believe the Owner vs. Non-Owner thing is going away concerning P-AWD / AWD / White Interior. I don't have any kind of proof at all. Just a thought. I don't think there are very many people wanting / waiting / affording these versions.

I think the version many many people are waiting for is the non-PUP $35k version. I think that waiting list is far far greater.

I believe there is a far greater list of people wanting to get into the EV market than those who want to perform in it. Again...I don't have any proof.....but.....

Reactions: bay74
Changes are now taking place at an accelerating pace, possibly nearing light speed.
2156.jpg

It seems Tesla changes are nearing 99% of light speed, while most of us are changing at only negligible speeds. Thus, we may think that today is Thursday, 17th May, so nearing time for us to order our Maximum Plaid P3D's. We are delusional, given Tesla Time (TT), where it is still 1st April. Most of us were technically adept, so able to discern these relationships. We may have been a trifle weak in our ability to actually measure TT primarily because some of us are checking our M3 configurators so frequently that our measurements are actually altering the Elon Distortion Field (EDF) which acts to further dilate time.

Sadly I discovered only today as I was checking my M3 Configurator status for the 101st time. Subsequently I tried to contact Ford Prefect, then Zaphod, but both were muttering about Trillian. Ford, who was actually driving a pre-PSA Astra, finally 'clarified' the matter, muttering that the EDF was being transported in the Heart of Gold so that we all can configure our P3's while dining at the Restaurant...but he warned us that Arthur Dent is also on board.
I did learn that the AWD base price is $42,000 and P is also $42,000 so the actual ASP for my particular car will be $84,000, only $550 above my expectations. he had no idea where we would take delivery.

I hope all this helps.

It would be sweet if Tesla would offer up a Track Variant, but ... financially that's not much help.

What do MOST folk want in a high performance car?

Quick. Tesla is now famous in the performance world by focusing on this.
Great handling. The car should not be squirrelly. Not excellent handling, because for most buyers, this is actually not what they really need or like.
Fashion. Tesla hasn't done as much with this as other brands. Many folk WANT their expensive performance car to be noticed. Bling it up.

But the high performance segment is more for marketing than profits. Ferrari is hoping to breach 9,000 cars this year. They removed the true manual transmissions and are selling a station wagon to get there. Their sales were roughly $1 billion USD. Toyota is just fell to about $240 billion US to put things in perspective.

The marketing IS important though. A prime example is the Chevrolet Corvette. This car doesn't even fit into the Chevrolet lineup. It's the most expensive car GM sells across all brands. It is direct track competitor against the world. It is so far past what defined a Supercar in 2000 as to no longer even be in that class. Yes, you can buy an affordable version as well, but that helps subsidized the Halo editions for the entire GM lineup.

So you ask in 2018: "Does GM make fast cars", or "Does Toyota"? The answer is obvious, and we know the answer because of limited production, low demand cars like the Corvette.

The Corvette BARELY outsells the Chevrolet Bolt EV, and fewer than 1% of Americans will seriously consider an all-electric car.

I find it comical that some folk miss the whole point there. Neither car has buyers. The Corvette is under 1/2 the price of it's competitors and doesn't sell even though it's a better performance car. The Bolt falls under a similar umbrella.

Never discount Fashion. It's a major component in speciality cars. I think Chevrolet made a huge mistake by not making the Bolt more freaky looking, not offering "I saved a stupid whale" graphics, more colors, and a baby seal nursery for the back. With the Corvette, you can build your engine at the factory under guidance of skilled technicians, and pick your car up at the National Corvette Museum as you watch it roll down the line. It can be ordered with many bling options.

Reactions: jbcarioca
It would be sweet if Tesla would offer up a Track Variant, but ... financially that's not much help.

What do MOST folk want in a high performance car?

Quick. Tesla is now famous in the performance world by focusing on this.
Great handling. The car should not be squirrelly. Not excellent handling, because for most buyers, this is actually not what they really need or like.
Fashion. Tesla hasn't done as much with this as other brands. Many folk WANT their expensive performance car to be noticed. Bling it up.

But the high performance segment is more for marketing than profits. Ferrari is hoping to breach 9,000 cars this year. They removed the true manual transmissions and are selling a station wagon to get there. Their sales were roughly $1 billion USD. Toyota is just fell to about $240 billion US to put things in perspective.

The marketing IS important though. A prime example is the Chevrolet Corvette. This car doesn't even fit into the Chevrolet lineup. It's the most expensive car GM sells across all brands. It is direct track competitor against the world. It is so far past what defined a Supercar in 2000 as to no longer even be in that class. Yes, you can buy an affordable version as well, but that helps subsidized the Halo editions for the entire GM lineup.

So you ask in 2018: "Does GM make fast cars", or "Does Toyota"? The answer is obvious, and we know the answer because of limited production, low demand cars like the Corvette.

The Corvette BARELY outsells the Chevrolet Bolt EV, and fewer than 1% of Americans will seriously consider an all-electric car.

I find it comical that some folk miss the whole point there. Neither car has buyers. The Corvette is under 1/2 the price of it's competitors and doesn't sell even though it's a better performance car. The Bolt falls under a similar umbrella.

Never discount Fashion. It's a major component in speciality cars. I think Chevrolet made a huge mistake by not making the Bolt more freaky looking, not offering "I saved a stupid whale" graphics, more colors, and a baby seal nursery for the back. With the Corvette, you can build your engine at the factory under guidance of skilled technicians, and pick your car up at the National Corvette Museum as you watch it roll down the line. It can be ordered with many bling options.

Wait......I forget......what is this thread about?

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX and Tech_Guy

This is what is now referred to in the auto industry as the "halo" car. It is your brand's own passive marketing. Same as the Lexus LFA and the new Roadster will be.

An outlandishly-specced car (compared to the rest of your lineup), built in limited quantities, whose sole purpose is to get people talking about your brand (and ultimately, purchasing one they CAN afford).