Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yepper.....I'm one person who thinks that's a good possibility.

With the configuration you listed all Tesla would have to do is ADD to the sled that is already being produced.....They won't have to change it. That way the current sled can continue AS-IS.

Yes, the cutouts and wiring have been there since Day 1 on all Model 3's. As long as the IM fits in the rear slot without any modification, it will just continue to roll off the line.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
So, potential theory here:

The S has had a number of small tweaks recently, to help differentiate it from the 3.... and since Elon is so worried about where the top-end 3 fits in the S lineup, he's either gotta nerf the 3, or bump up the S.

Something that always bothered me about this is how some people think that the lower priced model must absolutely be slower than the more expensive model. Yet in all luxury car there's a lot of overlap in how the "lower end" car may be faster than the "higher end" car depending on the trim level. I would agree that maybe the highest highest end model should be the fastest, but all other trims should not be held fast to this rule.

Well yea, dollar for dollar, the profit is the same, but if you're in a cash crunch, and the profit would be the same either way, you'd want to spend LESS to make the product, and the 3 will only become cheaper to produce as they ramp (hence the outlook for positive cash flow in Q2 and Q3).

Spending less money to get the product out the door means less need for a capital raise (as some on Wall Street are predicting).

So if they build in the same profit into a P3D as a P100D, you think there is going to be a huge demand when its $100k?

So if they build in the same profit into a P3D as a P100D, you think there is going to be a huge demand when its $100k?

It depends on what is being sold for $100k.

A large rim P100DL in blue is $141,700.
So if the Model S was a 50% premium, the Model P3D would be $93,700.

A Model 3LR/PUP is $50k with no other options. A Model S75D would be $80,700 with PUP and no other options. That's a 61% premium.
Both have similar performance, but the 3 has a large range advantage.

It depends on what is being sold for $100k.

A large rim P100DL in blue is $141,700.
So if the Model S was a 50% premium, the Model P3D would be $93,700.

A Model 3LR/PUP is $50k with no other options. A Model S75D would be $80,700 with PUP and no other options. That's a 61% premium.
Both have similar performance, but the 3 has a large range advantage.

AND the Model 3 has half the wiring than a Model S <---that's huge.
AND the Model 3 has a ton fewer parts to assemble
AND the Model 3 has a different motor
AND the Model 3 has different batteries
AND the Model 3 has fewer screens
AND the Model 3 has a different Drag Coefficient
AND it takes 69% less time to produce a Model 3 ( integrated charger / motor / inverter in battery )
AND the Model 3 uses less paint.
AND the Model 3 has fewer options
AND the Model 3 only has 1 chassis option
AND the Model 3 is only Left Hand Drive.
AND the Model 3 doesn't have self presenting doors
AND the Model 3 doesn't have badging
AND the Model 3 has no heapa filtration
AND the Model 3 only has coil suspension ( not air )
AND the Model S has Air conditioned seats.
AND the Model S has a sunroof option.
AND the Model S can charge with chademo and all kinds of charging opportunities.
AND the Model 3 is smaller
AND the Model 3 is lighter
AND the Model 3 is has 61% fewer vendors than the Model S.
AND the Model 3 has 86% fewer production assembly line stations.
AND the Model 3 battery production time is cut by 71%.
AND the Model 3......

The smallest list is what these 2 cars have in common. Lets see

4 wheels
1 Steering wheel
front and rear seats

When is this Model S to Model 3 stuff going to stop? The Model 3 is a totally different car.

If the Model 3 and Model S were the same.....or if the Model 3 was just a smaller version.....then yes. However with all of these differences.....how are people able to so flippantly say.......Ohhh.....its a shame that the $60k Model 3 might beat the $80K Model S.

Last edited:
Yeap. More cost effective, less material required, cheaper motor, cheaper batteries, less belts and whistles and easier too assemble.

How much do you the performance model 3 is going to start at?

I don't know where the price of Performance model will start.....because I don't know the parts required and how much they cost, however I hope it doesn't exceed. $75k.

That to me should be the highest priced Model 3 - NO MATTER how that other totally different car called the Model S is priced. .

Last edited: