Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. And we've heard that the induction motors are more prone to heat limits under track use. Wonder if something changed in that design.

The rear PMSR doesn't have the over heating problem, so I'm thinking front induction motor only kicks on when
  • Requested torque/ acceleration is greater than rear motor can produce
  • Traction/ stability control requests front power due to rear slip or handling
  • Rear motor is bumping against thermal limits
  • Large regen

Reactions: e-FTW
The rear PMSR doesn't have the over heating problem, so I'm thinking front induction motor only kicks on when
  • Requested torque/ acceleration is greater than rear motor can produce
  • Traction/ stability control requests front power due to rear slip or handling
  • Rear motor is bumping against thermal limits
  • Large regen
Makes sense, but down the straights, at WOT (hmm, it is not a throttle, so WOA?) both motors will be maxed out. Maybe they figured out a way to cool the rotor?
But then again, to “beat” a car on track, one may not need to do more than a few laps. It is just a tweet...

Makes sense, but down the straights, at WOT (hmm, it is not a throttle, so WOA?) both motors will be maxed out. Maybe they figured out a way to cool the rotor?
But then again, to “beat” a car on track, one may not need to do more than a few laps. It is just a tweet...
Right, but the induction motor can go 100% for a while as seen in the Autobahn videos. So with cornering and max speed sections (front during acceleration, off while maintaining; RWD can hold 140), it will get a chance to cool. The 3 also has (what looks like) a larger radiator/condenser so can pull more heat from the front motor. P may have even better cooling. So more colling with less heat generation. Roadster 2020 hitting 250 indicates 3 may be fine at sub 150.

Current S/X motor rotors are liquid cooled.

Sure the Model S will have higher performance as it stands today. Show me a Model 3 version with a 2.3 0-60 time.

He also told Vignesh Raju it would. Vignesh asked if the Model 3 would have Ludicrous mode....Elon : Of course.

Which Elon will you believe? Choose ye this day.....

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk confirms Ludicrous Mode for the Tesla Model 3

Either way.....its a happy day!!!

Model S will have better acceleration. My guess is Model 3 performance will have overall better performance.

Front motor adds some regen ability that may offset the extra weight being carried around.

My instinct tells me front motor regen will only factor in during heavier deceleration.

A stock BMW M4 with a good driver will lap Laguna Seca in 1:39.69. The fastest time I can find for a Model S is 1:52.43. You have to admit it’s a bold claim to say the Model 3 will be faster than a BMW M3?

I do admit it is a bold claim. Elon is full of them. When they are not timelines, he is usually right.

Checking in from Ukiah... Bathed the Buddha myself also it was fun.

So..... any tweets from EM regarding will we be able to configure AWD or Perf sometime today?

Or is their web/middleware/DB cloud code still in Alpha?? LOL. Maybe the SQE/SQA were some of those “contractors” he fired??

IMHO discussion of what we can actually order and what it is and does is “on topic”. Do we know if there will be an “up charge” for white seats on an AWD when they become available?

Also, any word on other options like my favorite “biodefense mode” carbon etc. filters to cut the pollution inside the cabin that are available on the X?

Thanks!

Russ

PS Petaluma SC is down today hope its because they are adding more connectors. Had to divert to Napa happy I had that option or would have had to find a hotel and talk/pay them to use their DC. Napa now has 12 SC 8 on 4 were not. Could have easily driven Fremont-to-Napa w/o SC but forgot to charge to “Range Mode” before it was time to leave... Also forgot to turn on “Range” on the driving control panel AND I drove 80+ (Sometimes 100+ when 0 cars on 101) since road empty and was in a hurry. Now if you are California Highway Patrol I’m an author and this was a fantasy trip.

Last edited:
Sorry favo I was up all night PDT until 4 am waiting to configure then slept ~3 hours so I’m not my normal eccentric self - hence the TMI!

I see now you may not be aware of the Pure Land Buddhism “bathing the Buddha” on the birthday of the Indian prince that founded the religion according to the origin texts from around 400 AD. It is a real religious ceremony. I wasn’t in a hot tub with anyone! LOL

Why do I feel like this is TMI? :oops:

Yes but they also include the hardware in every vehicle. They take a loss for those that don’t purchase the software

Not really. It is delayed revenue. Time value of money and such.

Eventually, 2nd 3rd or 4th owner will buy it.

If nobody else a Taxi fleet at some point in the future will buy any Tesla with FSD hardware.

Sorry favo I was up all night PDT until 4 am waiting to configure then slept ~3 hours so I’m not my normal eccentric self - hence the TMI!

I see now you may not be aware of the Pure Land Buddhism “bathing the Buddha” on the birthday of the Indian prince that founded the religion according to the origin texts from around 400 AD. It is a real religious ceremony. I wasn’t in a hot tub with anyone! LOL
Ha ha, I'm rather punchy myself. Just having a bit of fun at your expense. :D

To be slightly on topic, still can't configure P or D. o_O