Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what is the 1/4th of mile of the performance model 3...

I'm guessing based on 0-60 time that it would be in high 11s. At or just behind p85d insane.
Not sure if this should be it's own thread or not but question: To get 0-60 3.5 sec, will a 'setup' be needed (launch control, ludicrous engagement, that sort of thing), or can I just stomp the accelerator without any preplanning?

Likely just stomp and go with Hill hold as a convenient option.

This right here is why I'm a little disappointed in the 3.5 0-60 time. The 3 wouldn't stand a chance against a 911 turbo, Chevrolet Corvette or anything else that is considered quick on the drag strip. A BMW M3 might even take it in the quarter which to me is just sad.

I'll bet the T M3 will beat the BMW M3, but Porsche turbo and the fastest vette config require the p100d. And that seems fine.

Then why don't LMP1 cars go smaller than 18"? They, like Formula 1, are prototype cars and they can design the brakes to accommodate smaller wheels. They can go smaller than 18" if they want, but they all run 18's. The only car in recent years that I can remember that didn't was the Nissan, and that thing was a turd (for many reasons, wheels being the least of which).

2019 LMP1 car?

978417c74abfa8cc7695baf11e5fcd55.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Has anyone that had the problem ordering, e.g. you were allowed to configure AWD but then it errored out on payment, resulting in the option to order AWD disappearing, had success? In other words, the option reappeared? I’m worried that those of us that have fallen into this edge case are going to be screwed for a few days until Tesla figures this out, meanwhile we’re getting further back in the queue.

I’m trying to configure an owner, day 1 reservation.

Same here, 3 Tesla Owner, day one reservation. For me the website showed briefly what looked like the ability to order then it suddenly refreshed and now it is grayed out again. I cleared cache hoping a different result, tried again, but then it remained grayed our.

....that’s where I’m at as well. And I received the “Order Now” email about AWD and Performance updates last night, but nothing in my configurator. The options briefly showed in my configurator yesterday morning and resulted in errors, then disappeared. Then returned yesterday afternoon and resulted in errors and now are now gone again. I’m thinking there are issues with updates propagating through all their servers. So while I kinda feel like I”m missing out, it seems that most others are not able to configure. And realistically, we’re still unsure about actually going through with the order just now. Part of me wants to start calling Tesla to try and sort it out, but I’m also afraid that I’ll get the right person to look it up and see that I’m supposed to be able to. ...Who will then just take my order over the phone. I don’t want to be that guy that then has to say “uh, well, actually I’m not 100% ready to order, lest the wife kills me...”

It looks like the invites are going out regionally, with the first batch being Boston and Maryland. Invites seemed to have gone to other regions, but those are experiencing issues when trying to finish the purchase.

Looks like us West coasters will be waiting a bit longer... Would love to be wrong!

Reactions: preilly44
It looks like the invites are going out regionally, with the first batch being Boston and Maryland. Invites seemed to have gone to other regions, but those are experiencing issues when trying to finish the purchase.

Looks like us West coasters will be waiting a bit longer... Would love to be wrong!

Sorry, no, if anything Tesla starts West coast and goes East. I'm in Maryland, owner, 1st day, and it bombed out on the last step (paying the $2500) when I tried to submit my AWD order.

So, I reserved online the first day in 2016, non-owner in NC, got the email to configure 4/18, and did. No VIN yet. Now, the dual motor is available. I called Tesla yesterday to inquire about changing my configuration to dual motor, and they said I could, would keep my original RN and line position to configure, but that I should expect 9 months to delivery, and oops, may not get the tax credit.

Now I am seeing first day reservers, even non-owners, getting to configure with dual motor, and the Tesla website quotes 6-9 months to delivery for NEW RESERVATIONS.

So, was the Tesla guy just blowing smoke, giving me a standard line designed to try to keep me with my current config, or just uninformed? Or, would I go to the back of the line?

I really want to Dual, but would probably skip it if I'd lose the tax credit.

Any and all speculation is welcome here.

Sorry, no, if anything Tesla starts West coast and goes East. I'm in Maryland, owner, 1st day, and it bombed out on the last step (paying the $2500) when I tried to submit my AWD order.

My observation has been that they start West coast when the deliveries must make it in that quarter. However, since these deliveries won't even start until Q3, it makes sense that they get as many east coast orders fulfilled early on, and then switch to West coast orders as Q3 comes to a close. With that said, I'm probably 1 month away from being able to order (3/31 line waiter, 2/22 invite to configure). Again, I'd like to be proven wrong and have the opportunity to order sooner, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Reactions: bhzmark
Elon won't allow the Model 3 to lose to the M3 in the 1/4 mile.

And how many passengers can be with you while going "quick"?

Its like comparing submarines and tangerines for you people when trying to poo poo the Model 3.

A Corvette? Really? A frieken Model 3 with 3 babies in the back row in car seats can pretty much slap it around and one is going to claim its slightly faster than the other one?

Embarrassing.

You people? No poo poo going on here and no pee pee either :)

I'm just sharing my perspective. I was looking forward to embarrassing other performance fossil cars priced around $80,000 regardless of class similar to what Model S does on a regular basis. Just a little disappointed that won't be the case in some instances with the performance 3. I might end up pulling the trigger in the end but this definitely was enough to cool the excitement.

I hope you are right about not letting the 3 get beat by the BMW in the quarter mile. If you are I'd bet the 0-60 will actually be closer to 3.0 than 3.5.

But you can't compare them because they use different motor technology. The Model 3 PMSR motor is much more efficient than the induction motor in the S. I'm sure there is some gain in the Model 3 D, but not as much as in the S. (And apparently not enough to bother reporting.)

I'm surprised that the P is rated at 310. With the 20" wheels as standard - doesn't testing need to be done assuming those wheels and not the Aeros? That alone will kill the range.

My observation has been that they start West coast when the deliveries must make it in that quarter. However, since these deliveries won't even start until Q3, it makes sense that they get as many east coast orders fulfilled early on, and then switch to West coast orders as Q3 comes to a close. With that said, I'm probably 1 month away from being able to order (3/31 line waiter, 2/22 invite to configure). Again, I'd like to be proven wrong and have the opportunity to order sooner, but I doubt that's going to happen.
It almost seems like deliveries won't be until Q4. I've seen everyone stating 12-16 weeks but maybe that is just a placeholder. I would assume that Tesla would want to pump as many of these out as soon as possible to push for profits.

I don't understand what the whole deal is with this yet again murky situation for ordering. Just open the damn configurator for everyone that has invites, let us order what we want, and give delivery estimates accordingly. They obviously know when people placed their original deposit and received their invites. Seems like it would be win-win for everyone. Tesla can gauge demand and plan production, procurement, etc..and would eliminate (or at least minimize) frustration from the customer side.

Reactions: SD_Engnr and sefs
I'm surprised that the P is rated at 310. With the 20" wheels as standard - doesn't testing need to be done assuming those wheels and not the Aeros? That alone will kill the range.
It's probably stated as estimated for now. The addition of the second motor may be enough to offset the wheel difference.

Also remember the original 310 range for the single motor was a de-rated value from the actual testing. Telsa voluntarily nerfed the range number, likely to still allow the 100D to be superior in range.

The LR was sand-bagged down to 310 EPA even though the testing resulted in ~ 330 miles.

Perhaps the P really is 310. That would be a fine explanation for why Tesla chose that number for the Model 3 line across all its variants.

It almost seems like deliveries won't be until Q4. I've seen everyone stating 12-16 weeks but maybe that is just a placeholder. I would assume that Tesla would want to pump as many of these out as soon as possible to push for profits.

Given the number of people who could configure, that may be the worst case number if you are at the back of the line and everyone ahead of you decides to get it? Better to pull forward than delay.