Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says halting X production in 2020 was idiotic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My guess: The reason it discontinued both the S and X productions is that Tesla reduced the price of the S to $69,420 and there were a number of owners who took advantage of that reduction:

To invalidate that price, it just discontinued the Raven production and introduced the new pricing for the 2021 Palladium instead.

Duh. Shut down Dec 24th(2020). HE said on Jan 2021 sales call would be back in production Feb 2021. Instead, Started limited production Oct 2021. Still no LR 5 seater 13 months after I ordered (Jan 2021 order). So what happened between Feb 2021 and Fall when got up and production. And how could say in Jan 2021 would start in a month when hind sight shows that obviously was never going to happen?
And the car that came out looks 98% the same as before. Exterior dechromed and differernt fog lights. Non Tesla watchers will never know the difference. Oh, except for questionable changes like where is the other 1/2 of the steering wheel?

Lets look at a legacy, crappy car maker. Pick ANY one. They do complete, major body and interior changes in a 3 week plant shut down. I'm looking at say Corvette G7 to G8 or 2015 Mustang changes. Really close to complete new car minus the power train carry over. Hell, Corvette went mid-engine. 3 WEEKS, NOT 10 MONTHS!

Last edited:
Duh. Shut down Dec 24th(2020). HE said on Jan 2021 sales call would be back in production Feb 2021. Instead, Started limited production Oct 2021. Still no LR 5 seater 13 months after I ordered (Jan 2021 order). So what happened between Feb 2021 and Fall when got up and production. And how could say in Jan 2021 would start in a month when hind sight shows that obviously was never going to happen?
And the car that came out looks 98% the same as before. Exterior dechromed and differernt fog lights. Non Tesla watchers will never know the difference. Oh, except for questionable changes like where is the other 1/2 of the steering wheel?

Lets look at a legacy, crappy car maker. Pick ANY one. They do complete, major body and interior changes in a 3 week plant shut down. I'm looking at say Corvette G7 to G8 or 2015 Mustang changes. Really close to complete new car minus the power train carry over. Hell, Corvette went mid-engine. 3 WEEKS, NOT 10 MONTHS!
I think this goes hand in hand with claims that people think Elon is a liar and makes up fake release times. People say this because he almost always over promises and under delivers (time frame wise).

Having said that, the fact he closed the production at least shows that he put money where his mouth was. He truly believed it would be up and running but he was wrong. At the very least you have to agree his intentions were in the right place here.

Reactions: AustinP