Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says Model 3 will release first as highly optioned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my completely speculative, wishful thinking:

Model 3
60: $35,000 + $1,200 destination, 6.3 sec, 320i competitor, 225 mi range (first deliveries 8/2018)
60D: $40,000 + $1,200 destination, 5.8 sec, 328i competitor, 230 mi range (first deliveries 5/2018)
85D: $50,000 + $1,200 destination, 4.8 sec, 340i competitor, 290 mi range (first Signature deliveries 12/2017)
P85D: $65,000 + $1,200 destination, 3.8 sec, M3 competitor, 265 mi range (first Signature deliveries 12/2017)
I really, really hope there is a more affordable option with maximum range, even if acceleration to 60 is more than 6 seconds. That's like saying the best battery option will run you an additional $30k...

Elon did just confirm no Signature series, so it seems likely that we'll have one build queue only (save for a potential Builder's Series that's not available to anyone in the general public), and thus it makes sense they'll just start with the PxxD models and work their way down, just as they've done with S and X.

Yeah, I'll probably get a day off work and drop by the Frankfurt store on the 31st. $1000 is less than I expected for the downpayment, so unless the unveil shows something I genuinely don't like (improbable), I'm getting one. Probably the basic battery/drive package since I don't need top range or top performance, but nicely kitted on the inside (Autopilot for sure, if it's optional). This will probably put me somewhat further back for the delivery date... well, I'll have to live with that I guess.

I tweeted Elon, hoping for a response, and I am sure they've already thought of my question, but haven't provided detail yet, but basically:

Every Tesla reveal has been in the evening in Fremont, CA. Are they planning to do the Model 3 reveal earlier in the day, so they'll have buzz on the East Coast for their March 31st launch?

How mad would everyone on the East Coast be if we lined up at 9am to put money down on a car, and then 10 hours later during the reveal, it's hideous?

Since our government thought it would be a great idea to tax electric cars over the next five year I'm probably not going to be able to get a Model 3. Even though I would prefer to downsize from our S to a fully loaded 3. The S really is too big for most of Europe. Way too wide, it doesn't fit in anywhere.
I thought I was a rare person. I love my P85D but it is so huge. Frankly the price of the 3 fully loaded will not bother me much but I wish it would be even smaller, but with P90DL type performance. Either way I'll buy a Model 3.

That doesn't mean there will be no Founder Series to keep the launch date to be on time as promised.

I suspect you're going to see a vastly smoother launch for the 3. There will be far less need for a builder/founder/sig series - which are basically just beta products intended to say "we launched", but while still working with a tightly selected and supportive group to work out the remaining bugs. I think you'll be looking at much more conventional steel construction that will be relatively easy to build, without some of the really high-end design features that caused huge design/manufacturing headaches on the S/X. You won't see falcon wings, retracting handles, air suspension and maybe not even a "pano" roof.

And bear in mind that all of the major technology issues were resolved on the S. They know how to do the battery, drive train and the computer systems. The rest of the car is just.... a car.

All good things!

I suspect you're going to see a vastly smoother launch for the 3. There will be far less need for a builder/founder/sig series - which are basically just beta products intended to say "we launched", but while still working with a tightly selected and supportive group to work out the remaining bugs. I think you'll be looking at much more conventional steel construction that will be relatively easy to build, without some of the really high-end design features that caused huge design/manufacturing headaches on the S/X. You won't see falcon wings, retracting handles, air suspension and maybe not even a "pano" roof.

And bear in mind that all of the major technology issues were resolved on the S. They know how to do the battery, drive train and the computer systems. The rest of the car is just.... a car.

All good things!

You may get a pano roof. TBH, I would be disappointed if there wasn't one. My '15 A3 (same basic price category) came with a pano roof standard.

Model 3
60: $35,000 + $1,200 destination, 6.3 sec, 320i competitor, 225 mi range (first deliveries 8/2018)
60D: $40,000 + $1,200 destination, 5.8 sec, 328i competitor, 230 mi range (first deliveries 5/2018)
85D: $50,000 + $1,200 destination, 4.8 sec, 340i competitor, 290 mi range (first Signature deliveries 12/2017)
P85D: $65,000 + $1,200 destination, 3.8 sec, M3 competitor, 265 mi range (first Signature deliveries 12/2017)

It might be that someone already replied to this (haven't read all replies yet) but the 85-battery is discontinued and I doubt it will be resurrected only for 3, I'm hoping 90 or even 100 (if they manage to get the size there). Also as you probably noticed already, Musk said no Signatures for Model 3.

Anyone care to speculate on the Model 3 option list and pricing?

- Autopilot ($3000)
- Paint ($1500)
- Larger wheels ($2000)
- Upgraded Sound ($2000)
- Leather ($1500)
- Supercharger access ($3000)
- ??

I'm not so sure about the supercharger access fee. Elon has said that the M3 will come with supercharger access - maybe wishful thinking but I am hoping that price is already baked into the 35K. Plus, AP is only (LOL) $2500 extra on the model S, so I don't believe it would be more on the M3.

I'll add:

-Pano Roof ($1500)
-Dual Motors ($5000)

I think the issue here is around offering new features. Established option/features like pano roof, retracting door handles, autopilot, and dual motors are all well estabilished. Some of the new Model X features like panoramic front window or even falcon wing doors may or may not be sufficiently optimized in production to make the cut. What's really hard to anticipate are truly new features which Tesla has yet to reveal. Fully autonomous driving is one such feature that has been well discussed. Along with that come other features that would optimize a car for autonomous fleet service, i.e. the self-driving Uber car. High performance features that put supercar performance within reach of the middle class may also be aways off though some of that technology is well known.

So we'll see how they stage this out. I think priority should go to versions and options that streamline scaling up manufacturing. A very limited options menu may be the way to go.

Model 3

Pretty good, but I am betting more likely 55 (maybe 50) and 75 on the batteries.
The battery won't be small to the point to break below the 200 mile minimum range for the fleet of all Tesla vehicles.