Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says Model 3 will release first as highly optioned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon wasn't happy with the press getting the base price of the X wrong as they all quoted the fully decked out price. Since there will be no signature and they want to get the fully optioned versions out first but still want to avoid bad press, I am sure you will be able to order the 35k model but it will have a delayed shipment date like they are doing with the X. That way a lot of people will buy cars that are more expensive than they would normally buy, just to get the car sooner.

Hard to argue with that approach. Just don't expect to get that $35k base version anytime soon.

I think there will be a fairly large number of very "green" buyers for whom the base M3 cannot be stripped down enough. People who might say "I can roll down the windows by hand" or "How many chickens will fit in the back", and who don't care how fast it is. They just want to save the planet and need more range and cargo capacity than their bike. No disrespect intended.
I don't follow your point. Why do these buyers want it stripped down? Because they can't afford more/don't want to pay more? Or is there something "non-green" about power windows?

Elon wasn't happy with the press getting the base price of the X wrong as they all quoted the fully decked out price. Since there will be no signature and they want to get the fully optioned versions out first but still want to avoid bad press, I am sure you will be able to order the 35k model but it will have a delayed shipment date like they are doing with the X. That way a lot of people will buy cars that are more expensive than they would normally buy, just to get the car sooner.

Hard to argue with that approach. Just don't expect to get that $35k base version anytime soon.
I don't think he should be blaming the press for that mess up - that was entirely Tesla's fault.
They kept so much hidden that no-one had the slightest clue how much a standard Model X would cost because all the configurators where (and still are) invite only.

Yeah, the whole press problem with the X had nothing to do with the order they shipped things. It's that they announced Signature pricing without announcing Production pricing. If they had published the entire price list at once (like they did for the Model S) it wouldn't have been a problem.

I think there will be a fairly large number of very "green" buyers for whom the base M3 cannot be stripped down enough. People who might say "I can roll down the windows by hand" or "How many chickens will fit in the back", and who don't care how fast it is. They just want to save the planet and need more range and cargo capacity than their bike. No disrespect intended.

Being that it's not constrained in the typical way that ICE cars are, I don't see how a lot of capability/configurability couldn't be built in via software, and unlocked for an upcharge, such as higher peak power/greater range, etc.

Will we know before finalizing our order which options will result in what order prioritization binning? Will it literally be "check as many boxes as you can", or will it be based on a few key features, like battery size and ordering the performance version?

I don't follow your point. Why do these buyers want it stripped down? Because they can't afford more/don't want to pay more? Or is there something "non-green" about power windows?
I think that BrainsTesla is referring to those who are 'Too GREEN for the Room'... The type of people who have incessantly claimed they dislike Tesla Motors' chosen and proven, strategy of starting on the high end with a performance oriented 'luxury sports sedan'... The ones who would rather they have released a $25,000 lightweight weirdmobile with a top speed of 45 MPH and a 120 mile range... The type of folk who aren't actually happy about anything and are offended when someone else enjoys life at all. You know, THOSE people. They won't like the Tesla Model ≡ because even the base version will be too useful, too audacious, too practical, too pretty, too fast, and too popular for them to show how they are willing to take a HIT for their LOVE of the PLANET. So, they will do their best to, in protest, find a nice, used Aptera or Citicar to drive instead.

aptera_2e-695x412.jpg

1976_Citicar_6HP.jpg

;-)

Will we know before finalizing our order which options will result in what order prioritization binning? Will it literally be "check as many boxes as you can", or will it be based on a few key features, like battery size and ordering the performance version?

Based on the way it has been previously it will be a few key options, and it will be quite clear on the ordering page. When the Model S came out 85kWh production vehicles started in December. If you wanted 60kWh it was January. If you wanted spring suspension, multi-coat red or 40kWh it was April. The Model X delays for the non-performance or smaller battery are longer.

I've been informed by my REAL boss that my next car will have to be dog-friendly, aka no leather.....so I guess that one isn't as important anymore.....
Well, MY real boss and I have found that leather is much more kid and dog friendly than cloth. Slobber, spills, and ..other stuff.. cleans up much easier on leather as it isn't absorbed. Hair vacuums right off leather seats, it doesn't get "stuck" in the weave like with cloth. The only downside of leather and dogs is scratches due to their nails. So keep 'em short.

Based on the way it has been previously it will be a few key options, and it will be quite clear on the ordering page. When the Model S came out 85kWh production vehicles started in December. If you wanted 60kWh it was January. If you wanted spring suspension, multi-coat red or 40kWh it was April. The Model X delays for the non-performance or smaller battery are longer.

Thanks for the info. I suppose that will make configuring decisions tough when taking potential tax credit amounts into consideration. Especially if a paint color you really wanted (red, for example) pushes you back a quarter and ends up pushing you into the 50% tax credit bucket. You would have to decide if getting a red one is really worth ~$3500.

Well, MY real boss and I have found that leather is much more kid and dog friendly than cloth. Slobber, spills, and ..other stuff.. cleans up much easier on leather as it isn't absorbed. Hair vacuums right off leather seats, it doesn't get "stuck" in the weave like with cloth. The only downside of leather and dogs is scratches due to their nails. So keep 'em short.
The wife has seat covers in her Subaru. We'll see. Plenty of time left to decide.

This is the most likely scenario.
The Chevy Bolt has to include all the toys because its a small econobox based car and the toys are what makes the difference.
Its also why the stripper BMW 320i is still more expensive than a Bolt, its the extreme bottom end of a better car.
The Model 3 is likely going to be the same - its not a cheap car gussied up with toys, its supposed to be a great car with optional features.
Those features will cost money just like they do with BMW or Audi.
Either way it ain't going to be a cheap car and will have the same budget requirements of a similarly equipped BMW, Audi or MB.
Expecting anything else is just setting up for disappointment

Here I think there is much confusion out there to go based on prejudice and stereotypes. I think mostly it goes on a non-material mentality where one sees that one really can do without many of the gizmos many otherwise very keen to acquire. That instead of saying that you have to have everything you really just want or fancy, say no, I do not need 0-60 in 3 seconds, no, I do not need carbon fibre interior details, no, I do not need metallic paint etc.

I hardly think that there are so many people with this mentality that is going to "stand in line" for some Tesla, as this is not one of their primary customer groups. But as long as the range of middle-range EVs are so small there will surely be some.

And no, I'm not quite there myself, but I do understand and have sympathy with many of these views. I'm going for the more or less basic version, more for economic reasons than ideological, but do not care so very much if it not will have any/all of the gadgets others will choose. And even if the economy had not been any restriction I had hardly chosen a mazed-out version anyway. What I need is electric range and winter wheels. What I want is more range, AWD and perhaps the winter package. The rest is just "nice to have" - except real or fake leather seats, that's in the "do not want" group.

As I posted above, I'd be kinda bummed out about having to pay extra for a pano roof.

The A3 starts at $29,900 and comes with one.

There are some "luxuries" that should be standard on this car.

Rumors are still that the Model 3 AP will be set up like the MS....that is, all the HW is onboard on every car, you have the option ($2500) of activating it.
Why would it be standard when it isn't on the S? Why would I be forced to have a pano roof if I don't want one? And yes, I don't want one.

...that's in the "do not want" group.
I do not want to buy an AUDI, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, or Cadillac... already. So I certainly don't want a Tesla Motors product that emulates products that already do not move me to purchase. That said, I understand fully that Tesla Motors needs two things from Customers: 1) Money; and 2) Easy Configuration. That is why they will likely just add more options packages, and have fewer delete line item options. I do NOT want a leather interior at all, but will take it if I must to get an automatic liftgate and good interior/cargo lighting. I accept that such configurations, limited as they may be, will allow Tesla Motors a faster means of batching and queuing cars for manufacture and distribution. I will probably get a maxed out car (greatest range, highest performance), but would really be unhappy if that meant I could NOT get RED.

Oh, and as for a panoramic roof...? I suspect the Model ≡ will come with a panoramic windshield. Sorted.

Instead of greenies, I interpret these folks as the hard core range hounds who would want as little battery draining electrical equipment (and added weight) as possible. So no power seats (like the Volt), no power windows, no A/C, etc. There are a small contingent of Volt drivers who essentially never use their climate control systems and have actually hacked their cars to defeat some of GMs systems for cold weather driving to get more range. Its a bit crazy, but these are the folks who would love a stripped down econobox with a Tesla sized battery.

A similar contingent to the hyper-milers driving Geo Metros that have had their back seats pulled out to save weight. (I know a few of those)

Instead of greenies, I interpret these folks as the hard core range hounds who would want as little battery draining electrical equipment (and added weight) as possible. So no power seats (like the Volt), no power windows, no A/C, etc. There are a small contingent of Volt drivers who essentially never use their climate control systems and have actually hacked their cars to defeat some of GMs systems for cold weather driving to get more range. Its a bit crazy, but these are the folks who would love a stripped down econobox with a Tesla sized battery.

A similar contingent to the hyper-milers driving Geo Metros that have had their back seats pulled out to save weight. (I know a few of those)

To me one of the reasons to purchase a Tesla is to NOT have that range anxiety...