Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An analogue one can be read by your peripheral vision MUCH better than a real one. ie. straight up is 60mph, bit left 50, to the right of vertical 70, further over 80... etc. Out the corner of your eye you learn the position of the needle. You can't do that with numbers. Like somebody going to hit you with a stick - your peripheral vision can see how where it is / how close it is. Likewise it can't read the shapes in a digital 88 display without refocusing.
I'm pretty sure this point is irrelevant. I'm not aware of anyone that is able to monitor their speeds using just peripheral vision on the dash. When I need to find my speed, I shift my eyes down and refocus on the dash. I'm pretty sure that is how everyone finds their speed.

And even if it is true that knowing my speed at a granularity of 10mph is possible just from peripheral vision (which I very much doubt), that is worthless to me as I can tell my speed at that granularity even without looking at the speedometer. When I need to look down at the speedometer, I'm looking for granularity better than 5mph.

Last edited:
Building the car around autonomous features that may never see the light of day instead of the driver at this point is ridiculous. I'm firmly on the fence now which bums me out given my excitement for this car a year ago.
Sorry that the reality of the Model 3 will likely not meet your expectations. Tesla is clearly moving as fast as possible towards an autonomous driving future. If that is not your goal, there are lots of other choices.

I've been driving cars the old fashioned way for 47 years. I am looking forward to the time when I can let the car do the driving and at a level far safer than I could at any age. That will be awesome. I am convinced that my next Tesla, which I hope to receive this year, will in the near future offer that capability.

None of the millennials I know have much interest in driving or even in owning a car. They are the future. In 10 years most new cars will be sold with fully autonomous driving and buyers will welcome it, as will the auto insurance companies.

wouldnt that be considered new consumer tech which elon said there was none of?

No "significantly new consumer-facing technology". Microphones and speakers are not new. Voice recognition isn't new.

So by "like a spaceship", I'm thinking

"Open the rear doors, CAR"
"I'm sorry Dave*, I'm afraid I can't do that."

* The ability to have the car call you by your name of choice will be one of the features of the optional Three Laws package. Other features in the package include driver, passenger and vehicle safety features, and improved voice command capability. Tesla was planning to have a Four Laws packages, but after testing decided that it wouldn't be very popular with its customers.

"Let me see what I'm doing HAL."
"You don't need to see what I'm doing. I control everything."
Good point, but maybe not the best example. Things didn't turn out so well for the crew HAL was responsible for. ;-)

New Not that anybody would do this today, but voice recognition has made huge strides:
Yes I've been thinking the same thing. Voice recognition has improved tremendously in the past several years. If Tesla implemented a usable voice recognition system in their cars (the current Tesla voice system isn't adequate), one that could be used to control most aspects of vehicle operation that would be fantastic and would be a lot like "driving a spaceship". All you would need would be a single center touchscreen display and your voice.

No "significantly new consumer-facing technology". Microphones and speakers are not new. Voice recognition isn't new.
Exactly. Which is why a good voice recognition system in future Teslas, including the 3, would align with Elon's recent tweets.

"If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it."

We have been so ingrained with what is "needed" with cars, that it's hard to think otherwise. I say give it a chance. I'm certain that Tesla has done at least minimal user research into this and has determined that it will not adversely affect the driving experience.

do you need to press a button to activate the voice recognition or is it always listening?
Currently, you have to push a button on the steering wheel but I'm sure they could make it always listen if they wanted to. The voice functionality is pretty limited so far but they did just add a new feature in 8.1. You can currently use it for navigation, playing music, making telephone calls, etc.

Hopefully they will be able to add more voice recognition functionality in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla
I would prefer a screen behind the wheel but will survive without it. It would be much easier to accept if the central screen was integrated into the dash. The iPad on a stalk looks cheap and lazy. Especially for a design conscious company like Tesla.
What if the ipad now slides back and forth on a track so if it's just the driver, he can slide it to right behind steering wheel or something like that, but if he's on highway on autopilot he can slide it back to center to share with occupants... Mark my words I think this will be the solution... A la his comments on spaceship like controls, remember the dragon capsule from SpaceX had iPad like displays that folded down when needed...

What if the ipad now slides back and forth on a track so if it's just the driver, he can slide it to right behind steering wheel or something like that, but if he's on highway on autopilot he can slide it back to center to share with occupants... Mark my words I think this will be the solution... A la his comments on spaceship like controls, remember the dragon capsule from SpaceX had iPad like displays that folded down when needed...

More moving parts usually mean less reliability, so I'm iffy on that. Plus the screen positioning (which the RC video shows seems to have not changed from the earlier unveilings) doesn't seem like it would make it possible to slide it to behind the wheel.

You may have a point! Don't get me wrong, as I do appreciate the smaller in-dash display in our Model S. However, I never had issues adapting to the displays in our LEAF or Prius.

For reference, here's a photo from inside a 3rd Gen Prius, one that happens to have built-in nav:
2010-toyota-prius_100179696_h.jpg

and that blue white speed and stuff on black background is what i'd like to see in the black bar that is apparently just a 5 foot wide airvent in the model 3.
Notice that the speed is only slightly to one side of the drivers eyeline. On a 2 sided road people are typically going to be looking slightly across the bonnet than directly in front. It's also a good 3-4 feet away not 1.5-2 feet away as in the 3 - so easier to focus from the road to the speed and back again.
I'll say again - a few bits of information in the black airvent space is all I want. Speed, indicator, warning lights, AP, AP detection warnings, trip, total mileage... unfortunately a phone in a dock up there couldn't do all those things.

and that blue white speed and stuff on black background is what i'd like to see in the black bar that is apparently just a 5 foot wide airvent in the model 3.
Notice that the speed is only slightly to one side of the drivers eyeline. On a 2 sided road people are typically going to be looking slightly across the bonnet than directly in front. It's also a good 3-4 feet away not 1.5-2 feet away as in the 3 - so easier to focus from the road to the speed and back again.
I'll say again - a few bits of information in the black airvent space is all I want. Speed, indicator, warning lights, AP, AP detection warnings, trip, total mileage... unfortunately a phone in a dock up there couldn't do all those things.

Yep.

Model 3 is more like the navigation (map) screen showing the speed... The screen on top of the dash is a completely different concept (closer to our field of view both in terms of depth and horizontally) and much more preferable compared to showing the speed on the navigation screen...

2010-toyota-prius_100179696_h.jpg

So, should the instrument cluster screen be removed from Model S/X?
The Model S/X does not have the same dash and seating positioning. I remember earlier interviews about the Model 3 design and it was mentioned the dash is much more forward than the S/X. So what makes sense currently for Model 3 may not make sense for Model S/X (maybe for next gen if they change the dash design).

Reactions: Krugerrand
I agree 10000% percent. Its a lesser car.

What is the Model 3? ( allow me to paraphrase Elon )

Its a drop of water in the ocean of the MS
Its a grain of sand on the beach of the MX
Its a snow flake in the storm of the MS blizzard.
Its a blade of grass on the million acres of the MS
Its the sound of an ant stepping around in the cow stampede of the MX.
Its the concept of a thought in my brain when compared to Elons.

Its going to be wonderful. <------hopefully that's not an alternative fact.

Tesla would prefer to sell you a car - they'd prefer that car to be an S or an X than a 3. That's where they're going to be making their money. in the earnings call they've already said they're at 25% gross margin on S. Hope to get there on X. But that's not taking into account growth / gigafactories, or even R&D.
He's also said there's 1 mile of wiring in a "3" vs 2 miles in an S. It's not just because it's a smaller car. There's less tech in a "3".

The Model S/X does not have the same dash and seating positioning. I remember earlier interviews about the Model 3 design and it was mentioned the dash is much more forward than the S/X. So what makes sense currently for Model 3 may not make sense for Model S/X (maybe for next gen if they change the dash design).

So you seriously believe this is a design-first decision, not a cost-cutting compromise?

Elon's made mistakes in design before. Over-designing the X - especially the seats and doors. Not caring about something being complicated. He paid the price with the 3? months spent sleeping on the X production line.
He's now at the other extreme...
Having listened to every earnings call... I recall Elon once stated how the skateboard design of the S meant that the X can be built on it and so can future cars. The investors loved the fact that future cars were half built - just do the top half in different designs - just build alternatives off the S's skateboard... now how much has the X in common with the S's skateobard - not even 2wd.
Que about 4 years later, the X is soon to be released, and Elon on another conference call defending the delays, the Falcon-wing-door delays "and" at the same time selling how good the X is (paraphrased) "you don't understand how complicated the X is - it's probably the most complex car anyone's ever made". Woah - how did they go from it's going to be so simple - to the most complex? Electric cars were supposed to be simple - with fewer moving parts, easy to make, greater reliability.
Elon on a call about 18 months back said they won't make the same mistake again. 3 is going to be built for mass-production, no delays, simplicity. But if you ask me - with no cluster (even a little one in that black bar) he's gone from 1 extreme to the other. Like an exc going hire everyone, then fire everyone - each time the wind changes!
Now they've gone too simple - and forgotten drive-ability, functionality and ergonomics.
My 2 cents.

Last edited: