Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have a source confirming cruise control? Do we know if it will be activated on the center touchscreen? If so, that would be very clunky compared to a steering wheel mounted control.
Nobody said it'd be activated by the center screen. For confirmation the indicator is displayed on the center screen, look at many of the interior photos. The icons are already there.

I love how some people are disagreeing with some of my comments which are actually facts and not opinion. It's whatever, but if you guys don't want the car then no one is making you buy it.

So, should the instrument cluster screen be removed from Model S/X?

Sorry, you lost me?
You'd have to read in context to understand.... there's plenty of room in the S/X for an instrument cluster, not so much in the model 3 if you wish to maintain that level of visibility with the low dash.

point about the mirrors is that you turn your head for those... with this center screen you barely have to move your head at all, most likely just your eyes with a quick glance.

I'm not sure about glare (although I don't have a problem with my Model S screen), but I don't see how it being further away helps ergonomically. It seems to me you will look about the same place for the speed in either case (a bit to the right of the upper part of the steering wheel). Of course, it's really impossible to tell without sitting in one (or pictures that were taken from the same spot with the same focal length).
Yeah, that's the point I've been trying to make. It's hard to make comparisons when the pictures are not taken from the same place and with the same zoom.

I also agree with your analysis of the pictures you can find: the position of the speedometer seems to be in the same place, even though on the z-axis the Prius has it further away. This might mean more refocusing for the Model 3, but in terms of eye/head movement there should be almost no difference.

He basically dropped the bombshell that all Model 3 will have FSD hardware (as well as Model S/X). That was something we weren't aware of previously.
Agreed. I think the fact that every Model 3 will have FSDC hardware is not generally appreciated as much as it should be. That is thousands of dollars worth of hardware (the AP computer being the most expensive part, as well as the 8 cameras, radar, and ultrasonics). Model 3 competitors don't offer that.

The Model 3 EAP option plus improved voice controls (which are in V8.1, released today) are likely the "spaceship controls" that Elon referred to.

I will get an app that gives speed from GPS and attach my phone on the dashboard...for god's sake.

I hope they fit the screen well into dashboard, because there are regulations about sharp edges in EU (not sure about US) and current design won't work.

Ah, expectations. I think that's the source of some of the disconnect and discontent.
  • People expected more/different displays because they couldn't believe what was revealed could possibly be extant (because that's just not what's done on other cars)
  • People expected a HUD or secondary display because Elon tweeted that it "feels like a spaceship" (whatever that means)
  • People expect this to be the final interior because Elon tweeted that there's only the one display. Maybe there will be other changes to the interior (ergo, the statements about the interior not being finalized) that don't involve displays?

Oh give me a break. Those were not unreasonable expectations based on what everyone knew and what Tesla was doing.

What if the ipad now slides back and forth on a track so if it's just the driver, he can slide it to right behind steering wheel or something like that, but if he's on highway on autopilot he can slide it back to center to share with occupants... Mark my words I think this will be the solution... A la his comments on spaceship like controls, remember the dragon capsule from SpaceX had iPad like displays that folded down when needed...

That is possible although the problem is that it would be difficult to use the touch screen functionality when it was behind the wheel.

Reactions: BluestarE3
But Reveal 2 was not about Model 3 at all, other than in Musk's tweet.

It sounds like the renaming of the 8.1 update. Lacking in content but suspiciously high on convenience.

I am still leaning on the spaceship referring to something else than just EAP/FSD. Perhaps something Musk originally imagined would/could have been shown by now.

Last year Elon already said the FSD was the Model 3 part 2 he was talking about. He basically dropped the bombshell that all Model 3 will have FSD hardware (as well as Model S/X). That was something significant we weren't aware of previously.
Elon Musk confirms ‘Tesla Model 3 part 2’ is today’s mysterious ‘product unveil’

Elon also said 8.1 update would come in December and have a new kernel and a new browser and AP1 ramp to ramp.

What I am saying is that I find it likely Elon was not completely truthful, that the spaceship comment referred to something not yet revealed or something delayed/cancelled.

Like the 8.1 update, I think Model 3 reveal 2 simply got renamed.

I think @Alketi recently summarized it best, how this latest tweetstorm compares with what had been expected based on previous information regarding e.g. highly optioned versions being built first and the spaceship controls:

I can't figure out what I'm most disappointed about:

1. No AWD for 6-9 months
2. No Performance version until sometime after that (+3 months?)
3. Performance will be (quite a bit?) lower than S.
4. No HUD. (Likely true based on his tweets)
5. No indication of "spaceship controls" or what he meant by "that's not the final interior" given that HUD is unlikely.
6. If HUD is unlikely, then what was Elon talking about previously?? Were their tech plans severely downsized in order to meet shipments??
7. No reason for a "final reveal" given nothing's really changed. (Hence the "yeah, we'll probably have an event in June/July" from the CC)
8. This was a tweetstorm about the Model 3 and I didn't enjoy any of the news.

Reactions: sitter_k
Agreed. I think the fact that every Model 3 will have FSDC hardware is not generally appreciated as much as it should be. That is thousands of dollars worth of hardware (the AP computer being the most expensive part, as well as the 8 cameras, radar, and ultrasonics). Model 3 competitors don't offer that.

The Model 3 EAP option plus improved voice controls (which are in V8.1, released today) are likely the "spaceship controls" that Elon referred to.
What good is the hardware if you can't use it because of software lock and legality. When the legality rolls around the systems in cars might already be outdated or some higher standard might be required, don't get me wrong I'm happy they're including it but it's not as big of a consideration.

What good is the hardware if you can't use it because of software lock and legality. When the legality rolls around the systems in cars might already be outdated or some higher standard might be required, don't get me wrong I'm happy they're including it but it's not as big of a consideration.

For AP2 it'll stick to "Pay attention, you're responsible." AP2 doesn't have the necessary redundancy for full autonomy so you need to be responsible. How often you'd glance at the speedometer would depend on how well the car can handle the situation. In situations the car can't handle I'd suggest that you'd more likely to be actively controlling speed determined by conditions or traffic, rather than having to check speed because you're holding yourself back.

AP2 doesn't have the necessary redundancy for full autonomy
correction: It does have the necessary redundancy for full autonomy in order to pull over in an emergency situation.

It doesn't have the redundancy to keep on driving autonomously beyond an emergency stop in the event of a system failure.
Remember level 5 doesn't necessarily mean it'll be fully autonomous in every situation imaginable... a human is certainly not capable of dealing with certain situations either.

Until the full autonomy software is perfected though, I agree, be vigilant.