Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, perhaps their tests indicates that Elon is correct regarding the missing central speedometer. "You won't care". And that this isn't just based on 2-3 test drivers and a couple of engineers opinions.

I certainly hope so, but Tesla hasn't been known for admitting small faults. Cupholders, FW doors, no center console, there certainly are enough people, that don't mind. But we can all agree that sometimes the designers can accept more drawbacks, than the average consumer.

It took quite some time, before Tesla gave in and added a center console. And I remeber that they were really proud, that there was so much open space, where other cars had center consoles.

Well, perhaps their tests indicates that Elon is correct regarding the missing central speedometer. "You won't care". And that this isn't just based on 2-3 test drivers and a couple of engineers opinions.

Or you could say it's simply based on the opinion of one of the most revolutionary visionaries of our time... A mover and shaker if you will. I trust Elon that I won't care. I've done some experiments myself with different speedometer placements and I have to agree that I won't care.

Or you could say it's simply based on the opinion of one of the most revolutionary visionaries of our time... A mover and shaker if you will. I trust Elon that I won't care. I've done some experiments myself with different speedometer placements and I have to agree that I won't care.

As I posted a few messages upwards, this kind of thinking is actually quite prevalent. Personally I find it foreign to place implicit or explicit trust on someone like this (especially someone with a commercial interest and conflict of interest in the matter)... but I must concede many people disagree with me on that. For some Elon's or Tesla's view on the matter simply is so powerful that it surprasses other concerns on the matter.

@JeffK, you are definitely not the only one who feels that way on TMC.

Reactions: kablammyman and R.S
As I posted a few messages upwards, this kind of thinking is actually quite prevalent. Personally I find it foreign to place implicit or explicit trust on someone like this (especially someone with a commercial interest and conflict of interest in the matter)... but I must concede many people disagree with me on that. For some Elon's or Tesla's view on the matter simply is so powerful that it surprasses other concerns on the matter.

@JeffK, you are definitely not the only one who feels that way on TMC.

Reality distortion field - Wikipedia

"The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs's ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement and persistence. RDF was said to distort an audience's sense of proportion and scales of difficulties and made them believe that the task at hand was possible."

Reality distortion field - Wikipedia

"The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs's ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement and persistence. RDF was said to distort an audience's sense of proportion and scales of difficulties and made them believe that the task at hand was possible."

The difference between a RDF and its effect on me is that I have a strong science background and firmly believe in the scientific method.
I've done my own tests and observed my personal behaviors, habits, and preferences while driving. Other people can definitely differ. What works just fine for me may not work well for others, but overall I'd say "don't knock it until you try it" ;)

See, that was a valid argument, we can discuss. So now I can have a contra argument.

I'd say you'd still want to know how much range you have left, especially with EVs, there is more anxiety, than with petrol cars. Not for me, but for customers new to EVs. So the average driver will want to check the "fuel gauge" more often. And EV divers still want to know their speed.

Day-to-day driving has no concern about running empty. Long-range BEVs have comfortably enough range for day-to-day driving for an extremely high percentage of commuters, and even for a majority of stretch commuters. The vast majority of drivers of a long-range BEV could have forgotten to plug in their car sometimes and not even know about it. There's a great contrast with ICEVs, where without a fuel gauge or warning you could run out of fuel on any given day.

However, fuel gauges aren't something you need to look at every few seconds, so placement really isn't a big deal. as long as there's some kind of warning.

You also argued that a reason for it is the cost of an additional display, but a few contuses further down you argue, that the big screen isn't expensive. Now what is it? Are screens expensive, or not? And they already install the whole set of wiring for autopilot, standard on every car. Those 40cm shouldn't really be too much of a problem.

I wrote that removing the additional display gives cost savings, but that was only part of it. But I emphasized that it's not just about the components, it's about the additional manufacturing required for those components. Tesla aims to get manufacturing cost savings by increasing automation and reducing build time, and that's made easier by reducing the number of components.

The central display size is pretty small as LCD displays now go, so it's not expensive, and it provides manufacturing gains by itself in simplifying the central area. (Take a look again at those pictures that AnxietyRanger posted and compare). The key change from the S and X is making the display landscape to move the top left (top right for RHD) closer to the driver, and (based on my experimental glances at the stereo power button on my Prius) making it visible only with eye movement.

The RHD and LHD argument is something I can agree on. There have been multiple makes that have done the same thing. But since they are going to have to move the pedals and the steering wheel, which will still need wiring, Tesla uses steer, "gas" and brake by wire, those few extra cables wouldn't really have been such a big problem. Especially if the second display sits behind the steering wheel.

However, it'd still be an additional step in a manufacturing process that Tesla is trying to simplify and accelerate.

I'd say you'd still want to know how much range you have left, especially with EVs, there is more anxiety, than with petrol cars. Not for me, but for customers new to EVs. So the average driver will want to check the "fuel gage" more often. And EV divers still want to know their speed.
Luckily these are right next to each other...
tzqyOQ.jpg

Now, I'd imagine you can switch that percentage to range, but they didn't do this for the launch (probably didn't want people knowing the range.)

I certainly hope so, but Tesla hasn't been known for admitting small faults. Cupholders, FW doors, no center console, there certainly are enough people, that don't mind. But we can all agree that sometimes the designers can accept more drawbacks, than the average consumer

True, but FW, cupholders, center console.. doors doesn't affect your ability to drive the car. The speedometer needs to be easy to read. And frankly, i don't see the problem with this:

Tesla-Model-3-interior-touch-screen.jpg&cci_ts=20160411130104&MaxW=1280

Luckily these are right next to each other...
tzqyOQ.jpg

Now, I'd imagine you can switch that percentage to range, but they didn't do this for the launch (probably didn't want people knowing the range.)

It looks really, really small. but I won't criticize their UI, since it probably isn't the version we will see in the finished M3 and I guess it will be somewhat customizable.

Again, I don't think it's a catastrophe, I just don't like it too much.

Here's the size on the new version, looks roughly the same as on the Model 3 display:
maxresdefault.jpg

You are totally right. I had to go out and double-check, if my display looked any different. I could have sworn it still was below the speed, even wanted to take a picture, to prove it.

I hereby revert my position, battery range is so unnecessary, I didn't even notice they moved it...

Definitely true of early adopters, Jeff. But to sell a car to the masses, out-of-the-box ideas take time to germinate -- on both sides. (see cup holders, Musk).

However, fuel gauges aren't something you need to look at every few seconds, so placement really isn't a big deal. as long as there's some kind of warning.

Yup, I resemble that remark. But da' wife does not. She knows with certainty how much gas is left in her tank at all times. (Don't ask.)

I have two M3's on order, and I'm starting to think that I'll just get one. Not sure da' wife is gonna be an early adopter. Just too different that what's she's used to.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Surprised that Tesla cannot just create a slot so that tablet slips/slides into the center console and can easily be pulled out when servicing is required or

just attach the tablet to the console using connectors (like how radio faces can be removed from the units) but I guess that 15" tablet is just too big to place on the center console.

Why not break into two or three smaller ones is probably due to complexity of having two or more displays instead of one massive one especially when labor cost to repair can be more expensive with more than a single unit.

Last edited:
Surprised that Tesla cannot just create a slot so that tablet slips/slides into the center console and can easily be pulled out when servicing is required or

just attach the tablet to the console using connectors (like how radio faces can be removed from the units) but I guess that 15" tablet is just too big to place on the center console.
I think that that would just invite people to break into your car and steal your tablet. It's easy to take the radio face with you when you go somewhere, not so much a tablet.

What is stopping them from taking off the floating tablet? If I had a bolt cutter, the current design seem much easier to steal.

Economics.

15" LCD display not worth much today. Worth $0 if it has a proprietary connector and can't easily be used for anything else.

Thieves want to dump electronics for cash ASAP. Electronics thieves usually know what they can and can't turn.