Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is stopping them from taking off the floating tablet? If I had a bolt cutter, the current design seem much easier to steal.
So you're just going to have bolt cutters on you when you spot a Model 3 and you'd try to cut through that:
yBX3Kt.jpg
?
i2caRk.jpg

I'm not sure it's going to be terribly easy or worth your time.

So you're just going to have bolt cutters on you when you spot a Model 3 and you'd try to cut through that:
yBX3Kt.jpg
?
i2caRk.jpg

I'm not sure it's going to be terribly easy or worth your time.

Which is why I was saying there are other ways to mount that 15" tablet (because no one will be stealing that) if Tesla decides to break the display into two and somehow attach them to the center console (by connector or just slotting them in somewhere for ease of removal/repair) but I don't really care about the interior and that eye-sore of a display as long as it's really 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and built more simple that it has much fewer problems than the S and X. :)

Last edited:
What is stopping them from taking off the floating tablet? If I had a bolt cutter, the current design seem much easier to steal.
A bolt cutter won't do it, you'd likely need a hacksaw. Also, it's not a tablet, it's just a monitor. There would be no economic reason for someone to steal a monitor that can't be used anywhere else. Whereas if it was an actual tablet, like you proposed, that could actually be slid in and out easily it could be stolen and still used as a tablet.

Unless you were using tablet and monitor interchangeably in your initial post and really just meant monitor, then ignore my reply.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
A bolt cutter won't do it, you'd likely need a hacksaw. Also, it's not a tablet, it's just a monitor. There would be no economic reason for someone to steal a monitor that can't be used anywhere else. Whereas if it was an actual tablet, like you proposed, that could actually be slid in and out easily it could be stolen and still used as a tablet.

Unless you were using tablet and monitor interchangeably in your initial post and really just meant monitor, then ignore my reply.

Yes i meant detachable monitors/displays. My apologies.

While I don't think that the omission of a central speedometer will bother me, I am concerned that it will bother my partner. I am very much looking forward to the official unveiling of the interior to see what has been decided. If she feels that it will bother her, I hope to have a few alternative options in mind that will work: adding a heads-up display, using a mounted phone, etc. Hopefully it doesn't need to come down to that, though..

While I don't think that the omission of a central speedometer will bother me, I am concerned that it will bother my partner. I am very much looking forward to the official unveiling of the interior to see what has been decided. If she feels that it will bother her, I hope to have a few alternative options in mind that will work: adding a heads-up display, using a mounted phone, etc. Hopefully it doesn't need to come down to that, though..
You can always tell her it's more central now :)

Reactions: billchase2

I don't think some thieves, ne'er-do-wells, vagrants, what have you always ponder the economic reasoning of their less than savory acts. They just do it to be arseholes.

Reactions: Big-T and alseTrick
One would certainly hope the decision as well as the "you won't care" comment is based on extensive testing and not hype.

/says he looking at the falcon wings on the driveway...

Yep. Cause Elon never makes dumb decisions that he later admits he regrets.

/s

We can tell from this thread, at least 1/4 to 1/2 of die-hard Tesla fans will be willing to put up with a crappy display/UI no matter what.

The general public may or may not be willing to overlook these strange design compromises. Anecdotally, the iPad-on-a-stick has been a deal breaker for the normies I have shown the Model 3 to.

I am willing to put up with the strange design if I can get the $10k government incentive on the AWD version and if Tesla does iron out the quality issues on the first dozen batches.

From one of the blogs, someone recently noticed from the photo of a RC unit a cable running from the dash to the 15" display. I don't recall where I read the comment yesterday.

Perhaps it will really be embedded on the center console and not stick out like an eyesore.

It's not as if we have a lot of BEV choices in 2018 that will offer AWD.

if Tesla does iron out the quality issues on the first dozen batches.

From one of the blogs, someone recently noticed from the photo of a RC unit a cable running from the dash to the 15" display.

I never said anything about quality. I said the comment mentioned the display may not be floating and embedded instead.

In context I was perhaps confused by your comments, but we know for a fact it will not be embedded.

As I posted a few messages upwards, this kind of thinking is actually quite prevalent. Personally I find it foreign to place implicit or explicit trust on someone like this (especially someone with a commercial interest and conflict of interest in the matter)... but I must concede many people disagree with me on that. For some Elon's or Tesla's view on the matter simply is so powerful that it surprasses other concerns on the matter.

@JeffK, you are definitely not the only one who feels that way on TMC.

The fact that there are 19,000+ posts in this thread should say something. In my opinion, there is more opposition to the missing central speedometer, than blind faith in the concept, that we won't care.

Scannerman

The fact that there are 19,000+ posts in this thread should say something. In my opinion, there is more opposition to the missing central speedometer, than blind faith in the concept, that we won't care.

Scannerman

Sure, quite possibly so. My only point was that @JeffK's position is not IMO rare. There is a lot of trust based on Tesla's/Elon's decisions. That doesn't of course mean everyone does it or that controversial topics would not gather a healthy debate.

Scannerman
You mean views or posts? Posts is less than 500 including mine. Also, neither views or posts are unique. Someone counted on another long thread and the amount of actual people are drastically less. It's mainly the same people arguing back and forth (I admit sometimes I'm part of this).

So what's that red-/yellow-/white'ish light in the windshield, just above'ish the dashboard, in front of'ish the touch screen? And that wiring clutter on the dashboard? Are they testing HUD after all?

Is_this_HUD_1.jpg
Is_this_HUD_2.jpg

Is_this_HUD_3.jpg

Is_this_HUD_4.jpg
Is_this_HUD_5.jpg

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomOMG :eek:

Last edited: