TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon says no Central Speedometer

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voltage, Mar 28, 2017.

1. electracity

electracity Active Member

What would be the scale on a speed limit sign?

My point about scale is well understood in gauge design, it is not my opinion.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No, people are reading the scale in those situations and not an actual number.

This gives the number, just as a speed limit sign, and just as many electronic speedometers which came before. It's much more precise rather than I'm going at this scale position that I know to be 35mph plus or minus 5 mph.

It can't get much easier than the actual number
    [​IMG]

vs

55-ish
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  3. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

I can't tell. I was too distracted by wondering why he was listening to the Johnny English soundtrack.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Big-T

Big-T Member

The small display on the S/X displays a LOT more than just speed. Especially useful is the autopilot display showing things like lane keeping, cars to the left/right of you, etc. You can't put everything in the upper left corner of the screen where it's easy to see.

Maybe we can get some Model S/X owners to cover their 2nd display for a week and report back on how well they do without the AP and related info? That would be the real test for me. - Damn that's a great Idea maybe I should put a thread out on the S forums asking for volunteers?

• Like x 5
  5. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

• Informative x 5
  6. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

But that's not self driving autopilot... what if your options were just safety features or FSD no in between option anymore.

8. Baja30

Baja30 Member

My concern is the screen appears to be exposed, meaning that you can bump into the edges of the screen. I would hope that the final version has the screen flush with the cars trim, like on the S.

• Like x 2
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It won't be, that makes the dash too big...
    see the release candidate video. Elon Musk on Twitter
    it's still a floating display.

• Disagree x 1
  10. electracity

He's confused. He thought he was asked about "FUD".

• Funny x 2
  11. roguenode

roguenode Member

Agreed, I'm less concerned about speed in front of me than AP and lane intrusion warnings. I actually really wish Tesla had the lane intrusion warnings built into the side mirrors like some cars I've driven.

• Like x 2
  12. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I think that, had the "display" always been to the right of the wheel, and Tesla decided to put it directly behind the wheel, a lot of folks would have lost their minds that the steering wheel cuts right through the information they need to see and that the new design is insane. I think a lot of folks her are just stuck in what they are used to.

• Disagree x 2
  13. azred

azred Active Member

After reading your post, I went out to the garage and opened/closed my S' glove box with its shapely button several times. Mmmm, nice.

• Funny x 3
  14. electracity

Display design is an actually a field of study and is immune to your gut feelings.
    Analogue gauges are read faster. Digital displays are useful when an exact number value is of primary importance.

• Like x 2
  15. Big-T

Big-T Member

I've put an ask up on the model S forums
    Your Model 3 brethren would like your help

16. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

This is exactly the same reaction my wife and I get when we suggest to people that they switch to a vegan diet. The first thing out of their moths is, "I could never live without meat!" Well, the fact is that, yes, you could/can live without meat. You just choose not to, or are afraid of change in general.

I also think it's just funny in general all of the people worried about not having a speedometer in front of them. Based on the speeds that most people travel on my way to work, obviously none of these people are using their speedometer to make sure they're traveling at or below the speed limit! I guess they all use it to see how far above the limit they are.

In most driving situations, especially slower-moving, closer quarters rush hour traffic, it is usually best to just go with the flow of traffic, which is likely not going much, if any, over the speed limit anyway. So who really ever looks at their speedometer in those cases? Most people are looking to see if they can switch lanes to get ahead of the pack. I'm even included in that group of people at times. :D

As some others have said, including Krugerrand, I'm just stoked to get a Tesla, no matter what they do with the interior. I'm sure with all of the brilliant minds working at Tesla, they aren't going to make a car that is un-drivable. I also am more excited about it looking even more different or "special" than other cars because of some of these non-standard design choices. In other words, I don't want just another ICE that just happens to have an electric motor instead of a gas/diesel engine. I want it to stand out in other ways as well. But at the same time, looks bad-ass externally, which the Model 3 does (as compared to other EV's on the market now).

Also, I think that the spartan interior, with only one display, is what Elon was referring to as, "like flying a spaceship." I don't know what he meant by the "real steering controls/system," but I think it will almost feel like you aren't even driving (rather, flying) without a display right in front of you, and only an information panel to your right.

• Like x 1
  17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Analog speedometers portray change in speed better than a digital one. But I don't believe it is read any faster when looking for the current speed.

• Like x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

THIS. During the reveal, Elon talked about how they had to push the cab forward into the "firewall" to gain passenger room. That drove the design of the dash to be lower, and I assume is the reason behind the floating screen.

I suspect once we get in the cars and see how far forward the dash is, it will make a lot more sense. I am guessing we will be sitting closer to the windshield than in other cars.

• Like x 1
  19. CT200h

CT200h Member

Elon's comment was " you won't care " have to think they have driven these cars. They know how useful the current info is in the cluster about cars the autopilot sees. Can't imagine them screwing this up, but you never know.

• Like x 1
  20. Mkorpal

Mkorpal Member

Sure, sitting here in a static environment, it's easy. But what about a dynamic environment where you need to move your eyes, locate the number, focus on it, and process the information in one second, with maps and audio information surrounding that number. I don't know, I'm going to have to drive it to see how it is. Perhaps it's within a persons peripheral vision which allows them to locate it faster.

• Like x 1
  21. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

This request doesn't make sense since there is no way to display speed on the center display. If you cover the steering wheel display, you can't see your speed.