TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon says no Central Speedometer

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voltage, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Member

Do we know that the final version will still sit on the stalk that looked like it was a very temporary thing? That would really be cheap and 'after market' looking. I'd be very disappointed. Simply put, that is not an upscale look in any sense of the word and is almost embarrassing. Ugh.

• Like x 2
  2. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

That's the problem with Twitter-trickling information to the masses like this; the full context is missing.

With all Elon has said thus far, I'm just going to hold tight until I see the final product for myself. I'm not averse to re-training myself on how I drive a car, but too much of a change too quickly can discourage the market from adopting it and therefore a mistake.

3. Big-T

Big-T Member

I just got that response on that thread, Ah well I guess it won't work out. I've thanked the guys on the Model S thread for their input.

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

What do you do when you get an incoming phone call? Does the call alert info displace the HUD info on the phone's display? Would it make sense to get a "throwaway" phone just to use it as dedicated hardware for this app?
    (I'm not a smartphone owner, so pardon my ignorance).

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

what's an incoming phone call? Oh you mean spam/wrong numbers, I just dismiss them with a quick tap. If for some reason I don't want to look or reach I ignore the sound until the phone stops ringing.

The center screen is still there if your HUD screen isn't showing what you want for a few seconds.

6. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I cannot fathom that number of posts that have been written by so many people that complain about the lack of a feature that was never promised or hinted at in the first place. :confused:

• Like x 5
  7. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I'm more interesting in what came before the 'no HUD, stop asking' sort of tweet from this afternoon (there was no response to Fred, BTW). He says, you won't care there is no speedometer [or other display?] in front of you. What could be that groundbreaking? As I posted elsewhere, this sounds like what he would say BEFORE Level 5 hardware on all vehicles was announced. What the heck is left? 'Roads? We don't need roads?!'

upload_2017-3-28_14-25-39.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. SureValla

SureValla Member

this car better offer an option to be piloted by a human or i'm out...

10. 206er

206er Member

What else are we supposed to do until our highly anticipated cars arrive?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. lunitiks

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

Neuralink: Elon Musk is setting up a company that will link brains and computers

13. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Looks like it... Release candidate video: Elon Musk on Twitter

14. Ken7

Ken7 Member

You need more friends. ;)

Some of us do actually still get incoming calls...and want to answer them.

There are times I get the impression, reading some posts, that if the single center display were placed in the rear seat, some would say "How do you know that's not a good spot if you haven't tried it there before. Just swivel your head 180 degrees".

It's really OK to question Tesla's judgement at times, it really is.

• Like x 7
  15. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I bought a car many years ago that had a digital speedometer which at the time I thought was ridiculous. When I switched back to a car with an analog speedo, I could tell that it took me longer to determine my current speed. Now I miss the digital readout.

• Like x 3
  16. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

Exactly! People are seriously whining now about it...all from rumors starting here and on Electrek.

17. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

Most people have their phones linked to the car with Bluetooth so the screen notification will go away as soon as you answer or dismiss the call.

• Like x 1
  18. lunitiks

Seriously tho..

Now we know for sure that there's no HUD, no second display and that the stick 15" is 99.99% final.

If "it feels like a spaceship" did not allude to AP2, and it's still some surprise feature we haven't seen yet - then what could it possibly be? (Like I said: Seriously.)

• Like x 1
  19. Ken7

Ken7 Member

I think we can forget about 'it feels like a spaceship'...whatever that means.

• Like x 1
  20. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

But, but, but... it's SO good, we won't care about anything else.... ;)