Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would prefer a screen behind the wheel but will survive without it. It would be much easier to accept if the central screen was integrated into the dash. The iPad on a stalk looks cheap and lazy. Especially for a design conscious company like Tesla.

Do we know that the final version will still sit on the stalk that looked like it was a very temporary thing? That would really be cheap and 'after market' looking. I'd be very disappointed. Simply put, that is not an upscale look in any sense of the word and is almost embarrassing. Ugh.

That's the problem with Twitter-trickling information to the masses like this; the full context is missing.

With all Elon has said thus far, I'm just going to hold tight until I see the final product for myself. I'm not averse to re-training myself on how I drive a car, but too much of a change too quickly can discourage the market from adopting it and therefore a mistake.

What do you do when you get an incoming phone call? Does the call alert info displace the HUD info on the phone's display? Would it make sense to get a "throwaway" phone just to use it as dedicated hardware for this app?
(I'm not a smartphone owner, so pardon my ignorance).

what's an incoming phone call? Oh you mean spam/wrong numbers, I just dismiss them with a quick tap. If for some reason I don't want to look or reach I ignore the sound until the phone stops ringing.

The center screen is still there if your HUD screen isn't showing what you want for a few seconds.

I cannot fathom that number of posts that have been written by so many people that complain about the lack of a feature that was never promised or hinted at in the first place. :confused:
0z7kal.jpg

I'm more interesting in what came before the 'no HUD, stop asking' sort of tweet from this afternoon (there was no response to Fred, BTW). He says, you won't care there is no speedometer [or other display?] in front of you. What could be that groundbreaking? As I posted elsewhere, this sounds like what he would say BEFORE Level 5 hardware on all vehicles was announced. What the heck is left? 'Roads? We don't need roads?!'

upload_2017-3-28_14-25-39.png

I'm more interesting in what came before the 'no HUD, stop asking' sort of tweet from this afternoon (there was no response to Fred, BTW). He says, you won't care there is no speedometer [or other display?] in front of you. What could be that groundbreaking? As I posted elsewhere, this sounds like what he would say BEFORE Level 5 hardware on all vehicles was announced. What the heck is left? 'Roads? We don't need roads?!'

View attachment 220200
this car better offer an option to be piloted by a human or i'm out...

View attachment 220200
Neuralink: Elon Musk is setting up a company that will link brains and computers

what's an incoming phone call? Oh you mean spam/wrong numbers, I just dismiss them with a quick tap. If for some reason I don't want to look or reach I ignore the sound until the phone stops ringing.

The center screen is still there if your HUD screen isn't showing what you want for a few seconds.

You need more friends. ;)

Some of us do actually still get incoming calls...and want to answer them.

There are times I get the impression, reading some posts, that if the single center display were placed in the rear seat, some would say "How do you know that's not a good spot if you haven't tried it there before. Just swivel your head 180 degrees".

It's really OK to question Tesla's judgement at times, it really is.

Display design is an actually a field of study and is immune to your gut feelings.
Analogue gauges are read faster. Digital displays are useful when an exact number value is of primary importance.

Analog speedometers portray change in speed better than a digital one. But I don't believe it is read any faster when looking for the current speed.
I bought a car many years ago that had a digital speedometer which at the time I thought was ridiculous. When I switched back to a car with an analog speedo, I could tell that it took me longer to determine my current speed. Now I miss the digital readout.

What do you do when you get an incoming phone call? Does the call alert info displace the HUD info on the phone's display? Would it make sense to get a "throwaway" phone just to use it as dedicated hardware for this app?
(I'm not a smartphone owner, so pardon my ignorance).
Most people have their phones linked to the car with Bluetooth so the screen notification will go away as soon as you answer or dismiss the call.

Reactions: boaterva
Seriously tho..

Now we know for sure that there's no HUD, no second display and that the stick 15" is 99.99% final.

If "it feels like a spaceship" did not allude to AP2, and it's still some surprise feature we haven't seen yet - then what could it possibly be? (Like I said: Seriously.)

Reactions: Foxhound199