Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my biggest question: Is this a design decision based on a thoughtful process that concluded that the elegance and simplicity gained by not having a cluster behind the wheel outweighed the convenience of having that information right in front of you? Or is it crippleware to try to push people towards the S or the X?
Or is it a compromise felt acceptable by Tesla based on the need to deliver a car at a certain price point?

I would prefer a screen behind the wheel but will survive without it. It would be much easier to accept if the central screen was integrated into the dash. The iPad on a stalk looks cheap and lazy. Especially for a design conscious company like Tesla.

By removing the driver's instrument cluster / screen they seem to have reduced the height and depth of the dashboard. They would then have an (uglier?) transition to a large rectangle in the dash if they integrated it. From the photo/video it appear the screen is quite a bit higher and more forward to allow for easier peripheral visibility.

It's sort of like all the telescoping and screen-raising/flipping infotainment systems out there. They need to get the height of the screen up but integrating the entire screen into the dash would look too bulky.

Model 3 should be considered a self-driving car. That's why the interior and controls are sparse. It's pretty simple really.

That said, if it's going to be manually driveable, it still should have a small display way up at bottom of the windshield IMO. It's that way in my 08 civic and is the ideal place because it's close to road and farther away (easy eye focusing).

But that said, I don't care since I want the Model 3 (and S, X) regardless. I don't really agree with the S & X plain interior with few controls and the way the touchscreens are designed and their lack of proper configurability. It's just that it's all irrelevant now, really, because of self driving - and the other non-driving controls (heat, etc.) which should have better design, is very minor to me. The fact that it's a Tesla eclipses everything else but that's just me. :)

No matter what my preconceptions or preferences Pre-medrivemodel3 for the interior are... i have to have some faith that whatever they come up with, it will pass the "common sense" test. People will sit in the car, and go, hmmm, this is actually not bad. cuz all of the testers and engineers and designers will have done the same thing.

so, i just wait, and amuse myself with the complainer posts. hopefully, my faith will be rewarded.

My signature disagrees with this "common sense" test. There is credible evidence that Tesla pushes minimalism beyond comfort. Most Model S reviews remark on the obscene lack of an interior compartments; God forbid we wanted to take some documents with us in the car.

---

This was cost-cutting, almost 100%. If Elon was committed to full autonomy, that steering wheel should be removed in 2018 Model 3--I mean, Model Taxi. :p

This conversation has triggered a flashback for me. When the first iPhone came to market I was a regular on the Apple forums where I read constant pleas to add multiple "Home" buttons. Folks just couldn't get used to the idea of a single, multi-purpose Home button. But somehow we all got used to it.

I suspect the same will occur here. We'll all just get used to it.

Just like folks and their obsession with physical buttons... I couldn't agree with this post more.

Ive had a touchscreen in my car for 10 years and would prefer physical buttons

This conversation has triggered a flashback for me. When the first iPhone came to market I was a regular on the Apple forums where I read constant pleas to add multiple "Home" buttons. Folks just couldn't get used to the idea of a single, multi-purpose Home button. But somehow we all got used to it.

I suspect the same will occur here. We'll all just get used to it.

doesnt mean we have to like it : )

It's just that 'getting used to it' doesn't mean it's good. Humans can adapt to anything. As for apple, I like to blame them for minimalism seen everywhere now. :D It's just bad and lazy, IMO. For any product, having 200 controls is bad, and so is having just one. The idea is to have just the right amount which are easily learned and carefully designed (both of which are rarely done by designers tho) which is then orders of magnitude more efficient than either 1 or 200.

I don't get it why you would need another screen just to see the speed. I think it's pretty readable in the screen right next to you.
I don't usually feel the need to look at my speedometer, and I don't look at anything else in the screen behind the wheel (The only thing that I would probably look would be autopilot if I had a Tesla with it). So to me it makes no difference that it isn't there. I have even tried to do my daily commute without looking once at the screen behind the wheel and I had no problem doing it.

Also, I love the minimalist interior, I could even live without door pockets and cup holders since I have them in my car and I never used them in years. The only thing I use is the glove box to put the vehicle documents and sunglasses, and the cup holders to place the keys and phone when I enter the car, which can be put in an empty box that does not need to have the shape of a cup holder.

But I was never questioning necessity. I'm asking if this is a design enhancement, or a deliberate detriment to upsell the S and X. I can't answer that myself without getting behind the wheel.
You'd have to first consider it a "detriment". Since it's not necessary then it's simply different.

The decision was probably made to ease factory automation. The current screens require humans and are a bit of work to put in.

The Model 3 is going to be the AK-47 of cars... but hopefully a little more accurate and precise.

I don't usually feel the need to look at my speedometer

Not that I'm complaining, but is it not common to constantly look at your speedometer when you're driving? I live less than 10 miles away from my job and take all local roads of varying speed limits. I also live in Florida where people drive all sorts of speeds on the same road regardless of speed limits. And there are also plenty of cop speed traps constantly in my area. I think the concern about the ease of visibility of the speed limit on a busy screen is a valid concern and don't necessarily agree with arguments against it as "people don't like change". Of course, we haven't been shown the final design, but still, one can find the design acceptable while still also disagreeing with it.

Ive had a touchscreen in my car for 10 years and would prefer physical buttons
I'd argue that your touch interface experience with your Prius and other cars is irrelevant because none of those vehicles had driver interfaces which were designed around the concept of not having physical buttons. Seriously, this matters. Tesla's setup isn't perfect but I can say that, after a year and a half of ownership, there's really no going back for me.

You're declaring a preference without having experienced the alternative.