Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says no Central Speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to get the screen closer to our faces, the dash would have to have what would amount to a 15" diagonal "box" behind the screen "integrating" it to the dash. That would look huge and ugly as hell. It would look like a room air conditioner in the middle of the car, seriously. I much prefer what they have done, which I think looks very futuristic and upscale.

It wouldn't take much to make it look more integrated. It looks incomplete and kind of "thrown on".

This is not actually a bad idea. A cellphone holder and app is cheaper than a cluster, and is completely user configurable. And? It can double as a ...

phone.
An aftermarket solution doesn't cut it for me. I need a built-in speedometer right in front of me as the driver. It doesn't even have to be on a screen - an old-fashioned analogue gauge would be fine. This is a dealbreaker for me.

I'm honestly surprised this is even legal - I would have thought there were safety regulations about making sure the speed is directly in front of the driver so they can see it without unduly averting their eyes.

An aftermarket solution doesn't cut it for me. I need a built-in speedometer right in front of me as the driver. It doesn't even have to be on a screen - an old-fashioned analogue gauge would be fine. This is a dealbreaker for me.

I'm honestly surprised this is even legal - I would have thought there were safety regulations about making sure the speed is directly in front of the driver so they can see it without unduly averting their eyes.

If you mean by right in front of you, but behind the steering wheel where you have to look down, then you may find that moving your eyes to the 15" display may actually be better when it comes to averting your eyes.
Yes you will be glancing slightly to the right but you eyes will be looking above the dashboard rather then below it like you do now..

Like others I'm just going to wait and see how the final design works. I learned over the years to keep an open mind to change.

Not taking a position one way or the other on veganism. But how do you ensure adequate b12 intake?

Some food products are supplemented with it. Otherwise, you just take an oral supplement.

BTW, animals don't naturally have/produce B12, they get it from their food, or they're supplemented with it. We would get it naturally also, if we could risk not washing our vegetables, as B12 really comes from the soil.

It wouldn't take much to make it look more integrated. It looks incomplete and kind of "thrown on".
Yes, it looks a little "thrown-on," but I think it's in a good way. The mount looks like nice aluminum (or aluminium).

To not look hideous as a more integrated screen, it would have to be closer to the dash and probably lower (since they made the whole dash so low). And I think moving it like that would make it harder to read, and harder to interact with (for the passenger also).

Again, I think it's cool that it isn't like any other car, including existing Teslas. The entire dash isn't like any other car, so the screen should be different too. :)

Reactions: JeffK
Really? I'd love to set up some eye tracking so I could give you more than anecdotal evidence, but I'd guess I check my speedometer every 3-5 seconds.

Whoa! My current car has a HUD where I can see the speed in my sight line without even looking down to the (mechanical) speedo. And even with the HUD, I still don't check the speed very much. On a 30 minute drive I might explicitly check the speed maybe 2 or 3 times even though that involves only barely adjusting my field of view to see the speed. I usually can feel my speed give or take a few MPH.

Reactions: McRat
I don't understand this thought of a typical traditional instrument panel being directly in ones line of sight. I was concentrating on paying attention to my eye movements while driving and I definitely need to look away from the road in front of me to see my speedometer. I can't focus on both simultaneously. (Perhaps it is because I'm tall and my eyes are getting older). Not to mention the fact that I am also constantly looking away from the road directly in front to check side and rear view mirrors plus looking to the areas to the sides of the car.
My wife's car has a central screen with GPS and regularly glancing at that while driving does not seem particularly distracting either.
I really don't think looking at the upper left portion of the Model 3 screen as currently shown is going to be a big deal. Perhaps some short adjustment to get used to it, but i think it will just become one of the normal spots to glanve at while cycling through all of things one needs to look at while driving.

I really don't understand why there are so many whiners about this. Are people signing up for membership to the forum just to complain?
There a quite a few cars with no speedometer behind the steering wheel and everyone manages just fine. It's perfectly safe.
It's bothered me since the beginning. Besides the speedo being nestled peripherally to the steering wheel in a cluster of information, the floating display itself just adds to the awkwardness. There aren't any other affordable EV alternatives (next to a Bolt, and I'm tired of the econobox design after owning a Prius C for the last 5 years), so nothing we can do but complain and hope for the best.

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK and SureValla
People are missing one of the key advantages of a central instrument panel/ control screen...ease of manufacture between LHD and RHD markets. It vastly simplifies the production line.

When discussing preferences for our next car, why would most care about its ease of manufacturability? Besides, it isn't helping much: RWD is still coming only after a year or so delay, as always.

Reactions: ikjadoon
Whoa! My current car has a HUD where I can see the speed in my sight line without even looking down to the (mechanical) speedo. And even with the HUD, I still don't check the speed very much. On a 30 minute drive I might explicitly check the speed maybe 2 or 3 times even though that involves only barely adjusting my field of view to see the speed. I usually can feel my speed give or take a few MPH.

This is what puzzles me too. Have I been driving wrong for the last million miles?

I drive at a speed I believe to be correct for traffic. Do I care what that number is? Not really. Do I know how fast I'm going on public roads without looking at the speedo? Yep.

No cop ever pulled me over for speeding and surprised me. Ever. I have never said, "I didn't know I was speeding", just perhaps, "I was driving at a speed I felt was safe" which all you should EVER volunteer when asked how fast you were going.

With an EV though, sometimes fine tuning the cruise control is important when range is critical. But that is a glance and an SET function, not constantly monitoring the gauges.

This is what puzzles me too. Have I been driving wrong for the last million miles?

I drive at a speed I believe to be correct for traffic. Do I care what that number is? Not really. Do I know how fast I'm going on public roads without looking at the speedo? Yep.

No cop ever pulled me over for speeding and surprised me. Ever. I have never said, "I didn't know I was speeding", just perhaps, "I was driving at a speed I felt was safe" which all you should EVER volunteer when asked how fast you were going.

With an EV though, sometimes fine tuning the cruise control is important when range is critical. But that is a glance and an SET function, not constantly monitoring the gauges.
yes, too much energy spent on the Speedometer placement and readout. I am sure it will be fantastic!
I do agree that styling is subjective and if the Model 3 has aesthetic shortcomings, just buy an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series, both are great cars...

Our family's 2010 Prius' "Multi Function Display" shows the speed and battery charge/regen information to the right of the driver, similar to the position in the Model 3 touchscreen. And when driving our 2011 LEAF, I constantly refer to the "Energy Info" display on the center screen. Having drivers glance a little to the right for speed, and other key information, is nothing new at all. I don't think this was a major factor in sales, or lack thereof, of the Gen 3 Prius. Nor am I aware of it affecting accident rates.