Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says truck will have solar roof option that can add 15 miles range/day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some calcs using pvwatts and you should be able to get around 700W of panels just on the back area of the truck, covering the bed and rear roof area. That works out to about 5kwh a day in Texas average. So not too bad. One could double this by having a split panel with one half or more sliding up to shade the front area and the other part sliding down over the tailgate. The angle is fairly ideal for PV and if you had enough room the truck could drive itself to track the sun. Solar smart summon...

Interestingly if we try to calculate the Wh/mile from those figures we end up with roughly 333Wh/mile fir the CT. So probably around a 100kWh pack in a dual motor CT?

Reactions: Electruck
My foldable and expandable PV array. 25MPD. :)
Screenshot_20191128-131252_Photos.jpg

I hope it's not 10k added to price? I installed my solar panels and I'm pretty good at costing out panels, etc. He would be smart to keep the cost to a very minimum to shut out any competition. He owns solar city, they could be the supplier. Plus for both companies.

Don't expect much of the solar bed cover. It's not for going any significant distance.

What it provides is SOMETHING to, with zero effort (but parking in full sun), recover enough distance to get to a >100V outlet to start meaningful charging. "Oops, ran the battery down too far to get anywhere to charge. Just park it for a day or two, can get a few (10?) miles."