Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says "yes" to considering cross traffic alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Elon tweeted that he is open to the idea of adding cross traffic alerts:

uDpR8sU.png

Tesla's Elon Musk approves use of cross-traffic warnings when backing up

Keep in mind that we don't know when this would happen. But Elon does seem open to the idea so we might get this long awaited feature at some point.

Reactions: superblast
They must already support this feature buried within "Smart Summon".

If the car already had it for regular reversing, it would have prevented my wife's parking lot collision, and saved $10K of (insurance) work and avoided having the car in a body shop for 3 - 4 weeks.

This is due to noxious exhaust gas of ICE vehicles so EVs should be exempt. If not it's your duty to report the fallacy of this to whomever can actuate change to this regulation as the spirit of it doesn't apple to a vehicle that is 100% exhaust free.
I suppose its also for license plate monitoring ... Florida doesn't require front license plates, so I suppose its to make it easier to police parking lots (we have to register our car's license plates with our office).

This is due to noxious exhaust gas of ICE vehicles so EVs should be exempt. If not it's your duty to report the fallacy of this to whomever can actuate change to this regulation as the spirit of it doesn't apple to a vehicle that is 100% exhaust free.

Nope. My garage does the same thing (in California).

It's because not everyone has a front plate + the parking pass sticker is supposed to be on the rear window.

I think this claim is adequately answered above. But even if it were true, it seems far-fetched to say that an autonomous car would never have to back up.

I love my Model 3. It does everything they promised it would, and does it amazingly well, and even better than when I bought it. But FSD was a pig in a poke and I feel sorry for people who paid for it thinking that they'd actually be able within just a few years, to send the car off on errands with no driver in it.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Back up at all isn't the issue.

Backing up into cross-traffic is.

If you back into parking spots, you avoid that issue entirely.

If you back into parking spots you avoid one type of situation where you'd have to back up into cross traffic. A car that does not have total 360° vision (or other sensors) is not going to be able to operate in all common driving situations. Just like you may be able to avoid left-hand turns by making three rights much of the time, there will be times you cannot avoid it.

Backing into parking spots does not avoid the issue entirely. It is an awkward kludge that avoids it some of the time.

If you back into parking spots you avoid one type of situation where you'd have to back up into cross traffic. A car that does not have total 360° vision (or other sensors) is not going to be able to operate in all common driving situations. Just like you may be able to avoid left-hand turns by making three rights much of the time, there will be times you cannot avoid it.

Backing into parking spots does not avoid the issue entirely. It is an awkward kludge that avoids it some of the time.

What other examples can you give of needing to back out into cross traffic other than when you're backing out after having parked forward?

Reactions: APotatoGod
I’ve worked at a number of places where they forbade forward parking - you were required to back in. Chemical plants and other places where people might need to evacuate in a hurry often have back-in parking policies and enforce them under the umbrella of safety rules.

One place where you might have no choice but to forward park - your driveway if you’re one of those unfortunate folks who live right on a busy street and have no turn-around spot - just a single-file driveway. You might be taking your life in your hands to try and back in. I’ve often watched people trying to back out of their driveway onto busy streets and wondered how much time they spend waiting For an opportunity every day.

Years back I was driving down to the south Jersey shore on Rt. 47 and traffic was bad. I’m mean, Bad. The line of cars was endless and the normally hour and 45 minute trip took 3 hours. I’m southbound on a long straightaway and I see this car blocking traffic on the northbound side with its left blinker on way down the road from me. Traffic is bumper-to-bumper and crawling, but no one is making a hole for them. I reach this car about 20 minutes later and the car in front of me finally, mercifully, lets them through. As they’re cutting through, the elderly lady in the passenger seat flips the bird out her window to all the cars north of her. I thought to myself, “Wow it must really suck to live here all summer.” Then I thought, “How the hell do these people get out of their driveway?” It was a single-file driveway. They’d have to drive on their lawn to get turned around to come out forward.