TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon, show us the Q - quad-motor AWD

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PokerBroker, Oct 13, 2014.

1. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Tesla successfully tackled the Dual motor AWD system. Any bets that they have a quad-motor prototype hiding somewhere in R&D?? Could four-wheel torque vectoring provide even MORE efficiency? Rimac's technology surely has gotten Tesla's attention. Maybe not for the Model S but perhaps for the next Roadster?

2. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

hey, you need to leave them something to announce in 2016 for the Model S V3, so everyone trading up to the "D" can trade-in again. Did apple go directly from the original iphone to the iphone 6 plus? hardly...

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Don't think so. IMO in Tesla they have already achieved a very efficient AWD System also performing torque vectoring and they don't even think to add two more motors. It would mean a much more expansive car having no improvement with respect to the standard Tesla AWD System.

4. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

i lolz.

5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Fear not, the Model Hex has already been dreamed up on this forum... (6 motors).

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#6 yobigd20, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Mercedes already did the quad torque vectoring in their SLS EV.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

No. Or at least not until Tesla can afford to fritter money away on things with little benefit.

The 4WD was necessary.

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I think people either missed it or misunderstood it. You don't need four motors to get torque vectoring. Because of the Open Differential design, applying the brake to one side causes the torque to move to the other side almost magically and with very little loss of total torque, and this is why they went to the electromechanical brakes instead of vacuum assisted; this gives you free vectoring.

9. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

As a two-motor setup is more efficient than a single, a quad-motor setup might be even more efficient still. Four motors means the the rotors can be made smaller in diameter. Smaller diameter means they can be mounted lower, which lowers the COG even further, not to mention diminishing the need for a mechanical differential. While I agree this is probably not necessary on a sedan platform such as the S, I can imagine such a setup might have a purpose in a more sporting chassis -- Next gen Roadster maybe?

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Agreed! I remember us having this discussion a while back and we ended up with this conclusion.

11. tom66

tom66 Member

As does the Rimac Concept One.

"Dear Santa..."