Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon showed up at my Model 3 delivery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my M3 delivered yesterday in Playa Vista. I was originally supposed to pick it up at the center in Marina Del Rey, but they said they could deliver to my apartment. Ok cool, so I show up and there is a giant trailer and about 5 people from Tesla there. Kind of odd....

They pull the car out of the trailer and we start the walk-through, and eventually I suggest that we jump in the car to check out the interior and the guy says....weellll let's wait on that, we have a surprise for you. Even more odd...

Then they pull another M3 out of the trailer, white on white, and say by the way that's Elon's configuration of the M3. Ok something is definitely going on.... So I quickly called my brother and sister in law to hurry up over because I had a sneaking suspicion EM was going to show up.

Sure enough, 20 minutes later, Elon himself drives up in a black S with his two kids and girlfriend in tow! They told me I was the first to receive their new delivery method with the car being sent to the owner's home directly from the factory. Got to chat with Elon for a bit and he explained the new delivery system (makes sense to me). I live in a big apartment complex so a crowd started to form with everyone taking pictures. He took off after maybe 20 minutes, but not before I got some pictures! Oh and he retweeted me that night to boot! Seriously?!?

Ridiculously awesome experience, what a way to cap 2.5 years of waiting!! Oh and the car is the best part, man what a fun ride. Had very little time to check out the car with all this going on!

2018-07-29 14.51.05.jpg 2018-07-29 14.49.15.jpg 2018-07-29 17.40.40.jpg 2018-07-29 17.40.45.jpg 2018-07-29 15.38.37.jpg2018-07-30 11.58.24.png

Elon Musk on Twitter

Wow, what a memory! Did they give any other details as to why they are experimenting with this? Seems like a pricey way to deliver vehicles, but maybe they have such a space issue in delivery centers they are trying whatever they can.

I don't suppose the trailer was pulled by a Model X? :p

Edit: and by girlfriend you mean Grimes? Sorry just had to ask :)

Reactions: fallen888
Wow, what a memory! Did they give any other details as to why they are experimenting with this? Seems like a pricey way to deliver vehicles, but maybe they have such a space issue in delivery centers they are trying whatever they can.

I don't suppose the trailer was pulled by a Model X? :p

Edit: and by girlfriend you mean Grimes? Sorry just had to ask :)

Haha yes I found out after the fact who she was! Sounds like they are moving forward with this...deliver to owner's homes directly from factory without going through a delivery hub. Seems to make sense to me! They said I was the first. Who knows if that's actually how my car arrived...

Thanks for the write-up, OP, that sounds like a fun day.

I don't imagine it's uniform across the country, but I know the delivery centers around here are crazy busy. Going through them definitely adds a step and slows things down - and is very complicated logistically when they just can't cram enough cars on the lot. They've also been moving more and more of the work (like the state paperwork and license plate requests) from local offices to a central location. It makes sense to do this in some fashion, though I doubt that it will become the new way that all cars are delivered.

Back before there were delivery centers (at least outside of the Bay area) Roadsters were delivered straight from the factory in an enclosed truck, so this isn't really entirely "new" for Tesla. Even today there are plenty of customers far from delivery centers, and I am sure they have always done this in some capacity. Getting the Roadster delivered to my house in a truck was a very nice experience, even without Elon (or anybody from Tesla) showing up with it. I do hope they have updated tracking though - while my car was in transit, Tesla had no way of telling me where it was or when it would arrive.

Our 2012 Model S was also delivered to our house on a trailer, and this time with an employee to help show us the car. (Although that one did go through the local delivery center; it didn't come straight from the factory.) It really was a premium experience - we have picked up 3 Teslas from the local delivery center since, and while they've all gone well it's just not the same as having it brought to you.