Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon speaking on 09-27-2016 at the IAS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved the circular screen in the middle of the stage that continually showed Mars changing from its current state into a planet with oceans of water and clouds in the atmosphere. I suspect that many viewers failed to appreciate the significance of that decision by Elon to make clear that a long term objective is to fundamentally alter the planet. This has been discussed heatedly, and I am totally in favor of that objective. It will likely take many centuries.
Didn't Elon say at one time that this could be achieved relatively quickly by setting off a bunch of nuclear explosions but, obviously, this wasn't an acceptable option?

The event's video is already de-listed from SpaceX and is no longer public for some reason. Only people who has the direct link can still see it. Not sure why they do that. But just in case, here is the link to the video. There are tons of great graphics/charts/diagrams that is very useful.

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
Didn't Elon say at one time that this could be achieved relatively quickly by setting off a bunch of nuclear explosions but, obviously, this wasn't an acceptable option?
He did but I don't think he was saying that was the best choice to warm up Mars.
New note there is also a date of 2018 for the first ship to depart...
Yes but that is a Crew Dragon capsule and it won't be manned.

Here is a link to an article that has all of the slides from the presentation:

Slides: Elon Musk unveils SpaceX Mars Architecture – Spaceflight101

Also, since the Q&A went into left field and was so short, Elon had a conference call with space reporters after his presentation. He went into a lot of the detail he said he would cover in the Q&A but never got a chance to do. The details have yet to surface but there is more information to come.

Here is one of them:
mars vehicle sat v.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dpeilow
I've drunk the Tesla kool-aid many times over, am a true believer in the company vision and the mission. But after watching today's Mars SpaceX presentation, I think the way he wants to go about getting to Mars is reckless and crazy. Too much can and does and will go wrong w/r/t space travel. Elon's mission plan requires so much systems perfection, it strikes me as highly likely it will result in failure and loss of life. Seems to me the vision and mission cadence laid out in THE MARTIAN of all things is more sensible and realistic. Baby steps, a la Wright Bros, not a 747 on the first attempt.

Well. Of course it will take lives. We are talking about colonaliation of a new planet. it is not a weekend trip.

Reactions: Yuri_G
"...it will take lives" got me thinking more about how musk insist the radiation problem is not a deal breaker. could it be a round about way of saying that some people might get cancer from the trip, but in the grand scheme of things it does not really matter?

Even if some people will get cancer, I´m sure cancer related death is much smaller propability than some accident related death.

Colonalization of a new world is dangereous. One has to accept that.

I think he has missed a trick to set an example and use zero emissions (in this case hydrogen) for the booster stage. Yes he said they did a trade off but what was presented was overly simplistic and looked at the choice of propellants for all stages of the mission. Nothing wrong with using different ones for each stage.

Yes we want methane for Mars because it's easy to make there and actually warming the place up is no bad thing, but can you imagine 50,000+ flights of that 10000 tonne booster spewing CO2 everywhere? Perhaps that's really why Tesla exists, to sell credits to use to offset SpaceX...

ITS-013.jpg

Reactions: winfield100
I think he has missed a trick to set an example and use zero emissions (in this case hydrogen) for the booster stage. Yes he said they did a trade off but what was presented was overly simplistic and looked at the choice of propellants for all stages of the mission. Nothing wrong with using different ones for each stage.

Yes we want methane for Mars because it's easy to make there and actually warming the place up is no bad thing, but can you imagine 50,000+ flights of that 10000 tonne booster spewing CO2 everywhere? Perhaps that's really why Tesla exists, to sell credits to use to offset SpaceX...

ITS-013.jpg

CO2 + 2H20 --energy-> CH4 + 2O2
CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H20

Plus, he wants reusable rockets, which is made a lot easier by using methane instead of hydrogen.

It's all about the energy supply.

ITS-013.jpg
The same trick for making Methane on Mars can work on Earth; taking the CO2 out of the atmosphere makes it carbon neutral.

Reactions: copyhacker
One of the questions was about "did you consider a cycling(? That's what I thought I heard) approach?" I didn't understand the question, and Elon's reply assumed the audience knew what it was, so that meant nothing to me either. Can anyone give me a pointer?

"...it will take lives" got me thinking more about how musk insist the radiation problem is not a deal breaker. could it be a round about way of saying that some people might get cancer from the trip, but in the grand scheme of things it does not really matter?

Even if some people will get cancer, I´m sure cancer related death is much smaller propability than some accident related death.

Colonalization of a new world is dangereous. One has to accept that.

Yeah, remember all the people who got diseases and died from being on the ships that came to America? Could be the same thing, but in space......

So, I wonder how the folks at NASA feel about Elon's plan? I can imagine that it's quite disheartening for all of the aspiring scientists and engineers who are working there to see their dreams and vision being usurped by an outside company.

It would be easy enough for them to laugh SpaceX and Musk off, but for the fact that he's actually succeeded in converting many of his prior wild-eyed ideas into reality. Who on earth ever would have thought, a decade ago, that in 2016 you'd have a private company completely upending the near-earth space industry, doing things that only a select few nations have done, and other things that have never been done. If anybody is laughing they're not laughing too hard.

I feel a bit sorry for the good and great people within NASA.

One of the questions was about "did you consider a cycling(? That's what I thought I heard) approach?" I didn't understand the question, and Elon's reply assumed the audience knew what it was, so that meant nothing to me either. Can anyone give me a pointer?

I took this to mean a large ship that constantly cycles between Earth and Mars, with local landing craft that come up from their respective planetary surface to meet and transfer passengers and cargo up and down.