TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Speaks to Concerns About Sustainability of EV Adoption

Discussion in 'Video' started by SteveG3, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

#1 SteveG3, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

The math to do is:
    - how much oil-based fuel is burned per day in terms of BTUs
    - how much electricity generation is done today burning NG, Nuclear, Oil, coal
    add all that up.

Then add up the renewables generation. And then compare.

I am an EV driver and Solar PV owner. I also see that the energy released by burning fossil fuels and nuclear is so enormous that it may take 100 years to make the transition - which is also about the time that oil reserves will just about be running out. Fire up the Solar PV factories and large-scale energy storage factories. We're gonna need it. Carpool-anyone? :)

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I always enjoy his clarity of thinking. Physics sets limits, engineering reaches them, business finds a way to pay for the engineering.

4. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

It's all very straightforward, just as Elon notes in this clip. This is an unstoppable train, and it's great to be in the forward cars as this journey unfolds.

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Unfortunately, the train may be stoppable. As a species, we are not all nearly as bright as Elon Musk. What makes the most sense, and is in our collective best interest, rarely wins out. The greed of the very few has repeatedly shown to trump everything else. In my view, as a society, we are circling the drain. I sure hope I'm proven wrong but I won't be around to find out.

6. MarkR

MarkR Member

Agree on all points! Unfortunately, too many of our politicians don't know that sustainability ought to be a top priority and the oil lobby (subsidized by our tax dollars) will fight every move toward renewables. Stupidity is not in short supply . . . we live in a country where a significant percentage of the population thinks that the president was born in Kenya and every one of the the 2012 Republican candidates for president denied evolution.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

How broadly are you defining society here? Canada? North America? Global?

- - - Updated - - -

Odd that I don't recall this. Link?

- - - Updated - - -

We have a larger percentage of the country that believed in him enough to vote for him. But we digress....

8. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

@MarkR, @Canuck points well taken...but if the train is going to be stopped at this point, it's going to take a lot of bare-knuckled, open and outright corruption and fear mongering. Edison resorted to electrocuting an elephant in his bid to wreck the first Tesla, and ultimately failed. It will take a similarly desperate attempt by big oil to sink the second Tesla, and I am thinking they will fail as well.

9. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#9 SwedishAdvocate, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    As I remember it Huntsman was pro science. Don’t specifically recall his stance on evolution though...

But didn’t he finish last?

- - - Updated - - -

From: Jon Huntsman, Jr. | Environment and energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quotes are referenced. But I haven’t clicked on those references.

- - - Updated - - -

From: Jon Huntsman presidential campaign, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. SwedishAdvocate

#10 SwedishAdvocate, Jan 5, 2014
    If anyone is wondering what Elon & Canuck ‘have been smoking[SUP]1[/SUP]’:

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math | Politics News | Rolling Stone

It doesn't seem like we have a 100 years:

I’m guessing globally. Unless you’re completely lacking empathy and a conscience, a global absolute and real food shortage will affect you too as well as everyone around you.

I think there are different definitions of bright. Personally I don’t think it’s about being bright/intelligent. And the way I interpret Elon, he doesn’t see it that way either. And also as I have interpreted it, neither did for example Steve Jobs. As I interpret it & according to Elon & Jobs, it’s about having a normal functioning brain & having the drive & getting the opportunity to receive a first class education & growing up in an environment that isn’t completely effed up (as in domestic violence and/or physical or sexual abuse and/or homelessness and/or parents with alcohol or substance abuse problems).

Additional reference:

skepticalscience.com | Is there a scientific consensus on global warming? [Spoiler alert: The answer is yes (!)]

[SUP]1[/SUP]Smoking is being used colloquially and jokingly here kids. Smoking is very bad for you. And yes, that includes pot. You can for example find out more here:

Health Effects of Smoking | Be Tobacco Free.gov

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was asking Canuck about a very specific statement he made.

I had a good guess as to your philosophy already. ;)

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#12 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jan 5, 2014
    That's why Businessmusk emphasizes making compelling cars. If you make the cars compelling, it's much easier to grow the market. It one of the things I love about the approach. Long-range BEV "just" needs to come down in price and it will eat into he ICEV market, but you need to be compelling to overcome inertia.

13. SwedishAdvocate

And as I understand it, words and their meaning are important to you, so I’m sure you meant to write:

I had good guess as to your view of the science already. /…

14. roblab

roblab Active Member

True. There's no cure for dumb.

15. SwedishAdvocate

And no change has ever come about by itself.

16. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I was speaking globally. It seems the projections are that the decline will start in third world countries in the form of food riots.

17. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Broadly speaking, the people reading this forum can take two actions in their personal lives to contribute on the positive side of this equation:
    - drive electric
    - find a way to create your own electricity

Whether we can individually or as a group fix the bigger problem, we can at minimum slow or stop our own personal contribution to the problem. Given this is a Tesla forum, we like it if this means driving a Model S, but reality is that whatever electric car works for you will help.

To the degree you are able, put up solar panels, sign up for your renewable energy options with your electric company, or otherwise figure out a way to get as much of your transportation and other energy from renewable sources.

18. LST

LST Senior Member

+1, exactly, we have to start somewhere. now.

19. GlennAlanBerry

Its pretty easy to reduce your home energy consumption without "feeling deprived". Whether you do it because you care about the environment or you just want to save some money, it still makes sense. Most utilities offer free or subsidized energy audits that will tell you what improvements will give you the most bang for the buck. In most cases, adding insulation and improving the sealing of your house are at the top of the list. Replacing incandescent light bulbs with CFLs or LEDs is pretty easy, along with picking Energy Star-rated appliances. Reducing your base electrical usage lets you get by with a smaller PV system or generate a surplus of electricity.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nope, that's not what I meant. The chosen definition of society and sweeping statements about its decline (or rise) are not the realm of science.