Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody participating in the battery/charging sections of this forum for even five minutes knows this is a complete fabrication.
I do have Wall Connector at home but I also travel so I have not stopped using the Mobile Connector since 2012 for the past 10 years. As a matter of fact, I am using the Mobile Connector for my Easter travel right now.

If you go to a friend or relative's house for an overnight stay or longer, it is nice to be able to plug in to their home. I use Supercharging and Mobile Connector when traveling, or in an emergency. I guess I would buy one if it was not included, so I guess this make busines sense, except it is kind of cheap of Tesla. The competition is likely to follow this lead, if they haven't already.

Complete nonsense from Elon... sounds just like Apple. :(

CEO Elon Musk said that Tesla believes that the usage amongst owners was too low to justify supplying the cable with every new car delivery:
“Usage statistics were super low, so seemed wasteful. On the (minor) plus side, we will be including more plug adapters with the mobile connector kit.”
The move is reminiscent of Apple’s decision to stop supplying USB charging bricks with new iPhones a few years ago and the company also cited wastefulness at the time. However, the similarities stopped there. Apple could rely on the fact that most customers already had several USB/Lightning bricks, but that’s much less likely to be the case for Tesla buyers, especially those new to EVs.

Also, even if most users don’t use the mobile cables often, it might be extremely useful to keep them in the car for a worst-case scenario or early in the ownership experience before you can get a home charging station installed. Compounding the concern is that both of Tesla’s mobile connectors are listed as “out of stock” on its website."

This is just another way to increase the price of the car by 400 dollars.

How much has the Model Y gone up in price since it first came out ? I seemed to have lost track. :mad:
This means I have perhaps a few more weeks to place an order before the price goes up again.

Those that placed an order for any Tesla a year ago and are about to take delivery will do quite well as to resale value.

Reactions: AMPd
They said the same thing about the passenger side lumbar controls. "No one was using it". So many defended them when they did it. Some of us installed them ourselves but two firmware updates ago, they brick the controls of the DIY-ers. Again this was defended by many. Now they have come for the mobile chargers since they know people will accept that too. I'm waiting to see what else they take away because, "no one was using it based on our data." Maybe the rear seats or the frunk. ;)

They said the same thing about the passenger side lumbar controls. "No one was using it". So many defended them when they did it. Some of us installed them ourselves but two firmware updates ago, they brick the controls of the DIY-ers. Again this was defended by many. Now they have come for the mobile chargers since they know people will accept that too. I'm waiting to see what else they take away because, "no one was using it based on our data." Maybe the rear seats or the frunk. ;)
They get away with it because they know people will still buy the cars. Nobody likes it but cost and parts reduction moves like this will continue as demand remains high.

My understanding is that the mobile connector originally came with many adapters, but at some point they started only giving the Nema 5-15. Some people were likely upset about that decision.

This isn't so different. Inflation and supply shortages have caused so many price increases. This is a cost cutting measure that's better than a price increase, because indeed many people are getting these mobile connectors and then not using them (myself included).

My opinion is that this is the right thing for Tesla to do. I wouldn't say the same if they started charging extra for tires (a necessary component), but it could be 50% of mobile connectors not being used.

So they stop handing them out, but drop the price and show the option at time of order. It just makes sense. For that matter, if the MC has a $275 value, I would've rather traded mine in for a $275 credit towards my wall connector. This is essentially what they're doing in lieu of a $300 price increase (but it's likely more related to chip shortages).

So many cry babies 😂

I have 3 mobile connector bags just sitting in my garage that have never been used.

What a BS. So… Is Tesla going to reduce the car prices by $400?
I use mobile connectors to charge my cars at home.
Well… if Tesla keeps this $#!&@ up, I might just go with other cars. I just saw a red Porsche and looked pretty amazing.

Please do. Go and spend more on a Porsche because you don't get a mobile charge connector with a new Tesla when you have an old Tesla and a mobile connector already 🥴

I have two mobile connectors. I keep one in my sub-trunk for travel to friends/relatives' homes where I can plug in, and I use the other mounted on my garage wall next to the 14-50 I installed.

This move could possibly be forgiven if EVSEs were as popular as USB ports, or if the car were very entry level, but it just screams cheap on a luxury class vehicle.

Ford, on the other hand, is providing Lightning buyers with a mobile connector, 80A wall-mounted connector, and components for V2H integration as part of the purchase price. Of course you're paying for these things, but they know the majority of their customers will need them.

It seems like Tesla is actively trying to destroy the goodwill they have built up over the past decade+ in an attempt to reduce demand in their vehicles. If so, they're doing a great job.

I'm a nut so I would buy it and never use it. I like a backup to a backup. I even picked up the multi adapter kit and I will probably never use them.
I'm also going to get the CCS1 adapter and will probably never use it. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a removable option as some have said that could save people money who have multiple tesla's and a home charger.

Reactions: zecar