Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen anything clear.
It is gonna be any new car produced from now on. He is reducing the price by more than 50% to $200. There should be plenty in the Tesla store shortly from the unused assembly line supply.

"Since plenty of Tesla buyers like to keep their charging cable that came with the car in the trunk at all times in case they need to top up, albeit slowly, Musk said they will soothe the mobile connector removal pains by lowering its price. Not only is the charging cable still listed at US$400 on Tesla's website, however, but it is also out of stock at the moment. Soon you will be able to order the cable for US$200 instead of the US$400 it commands, though, and Tesla will be making it "easy to order with the car." Moreover, the carmaker will include more adapters in the mobile charging kit than it contained before, apart from slashing the price in half." Tesla stops selling its electric cars with 'wasteful' charging cable as Elon Musk advises to buy wall connectors instead

It is gonna be any new car produced from now on. He is reducing the price by more than 50% to $200. There should be plenty in the Tesla store shortly from the unused assembly line supply.

"Since plenty of Tesla buyers like to keep their charging cable that came with the car in the trunk at all times in case they need to top up, albeit slowly, Musk said they will soothe the mobile connector removal pains by lowering its price. Not only is the charging cable still listed at US$400 on Tesla's website, however, but it is also out of stock at the moment. Soon you will be able to order the cable for US$200 instead of the US$400 it commands, though, and Tesla will be making it "easy to order with the car." Moreover, the carmaker will include more adapters in the mobile charging kit than it contained before, apart from slashing the price in half." Tesla stops selling its electric cars with 'wasteful' charging cable as Elon Musk advises to buy wall connectors instead
So if we already have our order in, but our vehicle is not produced yet, we now have to pay an additional $200 to get what we already reserved.

And yes, we were planning on using the mobile charger with our existing 220 plug.

:rolleyes: Great start to our relationship with Tesla.

That's actually pretty nice and may even work better for some people. If someone who does want to use it at home may opt to buy 2 at the reduced price so they don't have to keep unplugging it. and others who have multiple already may not add it at all reducing demand.

What do I know I'm an optimist and would buy it anyway. Well at least until I trade my Tesla in for the next model and keep my mobile charger :)

Reactions: DerbyDave
So many cry babies 😂

I have 3 mobile connector bags just sitting in my garage that have never been used.

Please do. Go and spend more on a Porsche because you don't get a mobile charge connector with a new Tesla when you have an old Tesla and a mobile connector already 🥴
Not a cool take dude, lol. We're all Tesla fans here, this decision is just stupid.

I'm one who has only used my provided mobile connector kit once just to make sure it worked properly. Because we have another EV that uses a J1772, we use a 10kW Juicebox EVSE for both cars and use an adapter for the Model S. The Juicebox interface allows us to have more charging controls than Tesla originally allowed for such as adjustable amperage, start/stop time for time of use intervals, and a graph of the charging session.

Additionally with more multiple Teslas per households I'm not sure if 2 mobile connector kits are necessary. Perhaps Tesla should have offered a $300-$800 Supercharging credit for those who forego the mobile connector kit upon delivery of their new Tesla. I'm assuming $800 of Supercharging credit means a whole lot less than $800 to Tesla considering all the solar arrays they have.

Ford, on the other hand, is providing Lightning buyers with a mobile connector, 80A wall-mounted connector, and components for V2H integration as part of the purchase price. Of course you're paying for these things, but they know the majority of their customers will need them.

I think this isn't exactly fair. Tesla is approaching a run rate of 2 million vehicles per year. Ford produced 27k Mach-Es last year. They're worlds apart in manufacturing quantity.

It's highly likely that this is due to shortages (the mobile connector is sold out on Tesla.com), and this is Tesla's creative solution. Many, many Tesla owners literally won't use the included mobile connector... selling it separately creates economic incentive for those who don't need one not to take it.

It seems like there are a lot more people upset about this mobile connector than about the latest price changes (because they understand the price changes better)... but this is just a mind trap.

Perhaps instead, Tesla should've hiked prices by another $500, but then offered a $500 discount for those willing to forego their mobile connector.

For those saying... "but for $60k, wah" - you're buying a $60k vehicle and fussing about a $200 plug. I think for a $60k vehicle, it should come with free Tesla branded TP, sunglasses, and a year of foot rubs.

Reactions: FlatSix911