Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Supercharger Announcement at D:11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not 100% but a lot of detective work has been done: looking through official documents, applications etc. I'd say those four are 95% probable.

I would have expected one between Oslo and Göteborg. But that will probably come later.

I have to say though that the US-network has absolute priority over anything in Europe. Most US drivers (outside of California and the Northeast) have been waiting for months (up to a year) for a supercharger in their area. And there are already 10,000+ cars on the road. So rolling out that network should be first, second and third priority. Ofcourse it would be great if the European supercharger-rollout would be done simultaneously, but I don't know if it's realistic to expect that. Let's hope though that the extra funding makes that a possibility.

With 20 supercharger-locations across Germany, France and Italy the needs for most pan-European travels (business and vacation) from those three countries and from Norway, Sweden, Danmark, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic would already be covered. Those 20 stations would probably already cover 95% of all European Model S-drivers' long distance needs. With another 30 stations for intra-country travelling - like the four in Norway - there would not be much left for desire.

I would have expected one between Oslo and Göteborg. But that will probably come later.
This will probably be installed by August. (Just because we haven't found documentation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.)

With 20 supercharger-locations across Germany, France and Italy the needs for most pan-European travels (business and vacation) from those three countries and from Norway, Sweden, Danmark, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic would already be covered. Those 20 stations would probably already cover 95% of all European Model S-drivers' long distance needs. With another 30 stations for intra-country travelling - like the four in Norway - there would not be much left for desire.
Norway alone needs around 10-15 SC for full intra-country travel coverage. (Norway is big, around 2000 km (1250 miles) from the southern tip to the northern tip.) Sweden would need a similar number. So, I think you are looking at a much higher number than 30 intra-country SC long-term. Probably hundreds, but not thousands.

I have to say though that the US-network has absolute priority over anything in Europe. Most US drivers (outside of California and the Northeast) have been waiting for months (up to a year) for a supercharger in their area. And there are already 10,000+ cars on the road. So rolling out that network should be first, second and third priority. Ofcourse it would be great if the European supercharger-rollout would be done simultaneously, but I don't know if it's realistic to expect that. Let's hope though that the extra funding makes that a possibility.

At least 100 Superchargers are required for Europe only.

This will probably be installed by August. (Just because we haven't found documentation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.)

Norway alone needs around 10-15 SC for full intra-country travel coverage. (Norway is big, around 2000 km (1250 miles) from the southern tip to the northern tip.) Sweden would need a similar number. So, I think you are looking at a much higher number than 30 intra-country SC long-term. Probably hundreds, but not thousands.

The north of Norway and Sweden are not areas with a lot of travel, so I doubt Tesla will cover the whole country with superchargers. Tesla is not covering the whole of Canada either, simply because the northern parts are sparsely populated and the distances are too long.

At least 100 Superchargers are required for Europe only.

I guess you're right. The new supercharger-map for the US and Canada shows 230+ (!!!) locations by 2015. Then Europe should have at least 150 to 200 for the same density. But I would already be very happy if there would be 50 in one year time, as those would probably cover the most frequently travelled routes.

The north of Norway and Sweden are not areas with a lot of travel, so I doubt Tesla will cover the whole country with superchargers. Tesla is not covering the whole of Canada either, simply because the northern parts are sparsely populated and the distances are too long.

Some places along the not-so-travelled parts of the Nordic countries will have SC stations with only one stall (2 outlets). One car will be able to charge at 120kW, in the unlikely event of two cars at the same time they will have to share (60-60 or 90-30). The cost with building these will be far less than those with 10 or even more chargers. It might make sense for these "mini" stations to not have a 120kW hookup to the grid (due to demand charges) but it might make more economic sense for them to have say a 60kW grid connection with an onsite battery with for example 100 kWh storage.

Sadly, this is precisely where I fall. No Superchargers for me, I guess. Maybe the June 20th announcement will be more relevant?

If Tesla wants to go mass-market, they need to cover the whole country. The northern parts of the country are popular vacation destinations, if Norwegians take a road trip, they often go north.

I'm not saying they need to cover the northern areas in the first five years, but it would be very welcome if they did.